PDA

View Full Version : Who can check fold this river???

Bob S.
09-05-2003, 01:39 PM
Party 3/6...the game is currently 8 handed with 2 people sitting out, I'm in MP and the cutoff is a blind poster. I limp in MP with the Qc9c after a weak EP limper (marginal call I know). Cutoff checks and the button raises, blinds fold, EP, myself, and the cutoff call. Flop comes KJT rainbow. All check to the button who bets, EP calls, I raise, cutoff folds, button 3 bets (I put him on a set immediately, probably kings or jacks, I don't think he would try chasing out EP with flopped braodway here), Ep calls anyways, I cap, and both call. Turn comes a 3, I bet, button calls (now I'm sure he has a set), EP folds. River pairs the Jack (now I'm cussing up a storm and ready to smash another mouse into my desk, I'm on about the 16th or 17th one in the last 4 years of online poker), I check call to be shown Kings full. I knew I should have just folded the river...does anyone possibly see making this fold???

Bob S.

Aces McGee
09-05-2003, 01:47 PM
With the pot laying such big odds...14 big bets in there by my harried, end-of-lunch-break calculation...it seems like calling the river, even if you expect to be beat, is okay, since you only need to be good something like 8 percent of the time to make it worth it.

Aces McGee

MaxPower
There are not many hands you can beat, but I wouldn't fold for one bet on the river. I would fold before the flop and avoid this whole situation.

William
if you can fold there, you should be playing either much higher or much lower. /images/graemlins/grin.gif Or peeking at your crystal ball /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tosh
09-05-2003, 01:54 PM
Don't discount AK as a possible hand here. I think the chance he has AK on its own makes it worth a call.

CrackerZack
09-05-2003, 02:05 PM
No, folding this is terrible. he could have AA, AK or QQ just as easily. Putting him on a set immediately is a mistake. I actually would bet this river 90% of the time.

Bob S.
09-05-2003, 02:17 PM
I don't think QQ was a possibility and mathematically less likely since I held one. I also don't feel he would bet any of these hands on the river after all the strength I have shown since he must obviously know I can beat all those hands...I think I made it pretty well known on the flop that I had a minimum of top two or better.

Bob S.

Yeknom58
09-05-2003, 02:37 PM
Easy, easy call so don't feel bad. With such a big pot such an easy call. You have to be sure like 90% of the time to make this fold correct.

Also, I would have called a 3bet on the flop and check raised the turn. So when the button bets and the EP limper calls you can trap both of them for an extra bet. I wouldn't have expected EP to fold for one bet on the turn.

As a side note the button is a wussy boy with top set. He should have raised the turn.

Mike Gallo
09-05-2003, 03:17 PM
I check call to be shown Kings full. I knew I should have just folded the river...does anyone possibly see making this fold???

I would have check called.
KJ JJ KK AQ beat you. He could easily have had AK.

I would have called also.

~MG~

devinthedude
09-05-2003, 03:52 PM
I had a similar hand a couple months ago except I had Q /images/graemlins/spade.gifT /images/graemlins/spade.gif and the flop was

A /images/graemlins/spade.gifK /images/graemlins/spade.gifJ /images/graemlins/club.gif

I capped the flop with 1 other player

Turn was a brick, we went 8 or 9 bets before he called.

River was the A /images/graemlins/heart.gif. I was almost 99% sure that I was beaten, so I checked, but its an easy call given the size of the pot. He of course had J's full, and I lost almost about a rack on 1 hand. It hurt pretty bad.

But when you check the river, he is going to bet no matter what he has. If you do check fold after all the action that you gave on the previous streets, observant players are going to try and run over you every time you want a free showdown on the river, especially when you are in a big pot.

Nottom
09-05-2003, 04:12 PM
if only it were the J /images/graemlins/spade.gif instead ...

Ed Miller
09-05-2003, 04:43 PM
Bob S. you have been a member of this forum long enough not to ask this question. You don't fold strong hands in big pots headsup for one bet on the river. Period. Stop asking questions like this.

devinthedude
09-05-2003, 05:21 PM
Would have been a nice JP!