PDA

View Full Version : Party software issue

MaqEvil
09-05-2003, 01:12 AM
I've encountered this problem twice, both on new Dell laptops, mine and my friend's. The party lobby window, and every game window is too large by about 10%. In this extra space, it copies whatever was under it.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-9/371592/Party.JPG

Anyone else had this issue?, it's pretty annoying

Mr Radar
09-05-2003, 03:14 AM
Zak,

I had that problem with my Dell laptop as well, and it is very annoying. A temporary fix is to lower your screen resolution. A more permanent solution is to buy any computer not made by that pathetic excuse of a company. Dell represents all that is soulless and wrong. And you slept with him. It also wouldn't hurt to try reinstalling the software if you haven't already.

Radar

Poker Advantage
09-05-2003, 03:35 AM
Obviously you know nothing about computers radar. Dell is the best name brand computer money can buy. I was a systems engineer for 4 years at a health care company and we never once had a single major problem with any of the 100+ dells we had. No company has won more awards. Perhaps you just had one bad experience.

You said "And you slept with him"

What the hell does thta even mean.
Josh

glen
09-05-2003, 03:45 AM
Yes! I just got a new Dell laptop, and it is annoying. I like to play 3 games, and when I used to play on my roommates laptop, I could fit all three on the screen and the lobby with no overlap. I can still play three, but I get overlap. . .

Mr Radar
09-05-2003, 04:10 AM
Well, I certainly stand corrected. If Poker Advantage endorses Dell, then they must be quality.

I'm pretty sure you just convinced every 2+2er to never purchase Dell. So despite your best efforts, you've had a positive impact. Don't let it get to your head.

Radar

Inthacup
09-05-2003, 08:25 AM
Dell represents all that is soulless and wrong. And you slept with him.

Why don't you say 'hi' to LUMBERGH FOR ME!

Inthacup
09-05-2003, 08:30 AM
If Poker Advantage endorses Dell

If Poker Advantage endorsed Dell, he'd definitely be Steve, the "dude you're buying a Dell" guy.

Also, if Poker Advantage endorses Dell, their quarterly profits are going to be abysmal.

_2000Flushes
09-05-2003, 09:18 AM
I agree with Cup on this one. If PA isn't that lameass from the Dell commercials, then I'd give 3 to 1 odds that he's the Star Wars Kid.

-2kF

Simon Diamond
09-05-2003, 09:24 AM
That's interesting, I popped into work earlier and a Dell engineer was pulling one their wonderful machines apart.

Expensive junk in my opinion.

Simon

JFrank
09-05-2003, 12:41 PM
I have that problem also, and it is annoying. Anyone who knows a solution, please post a reply!

slavic
09-05-2003, 02:21 PM
OK a couple of thoughts.

First which OS and which Dell NB.

Dell uses a font scaling aplication in their new notebooks since the high resolution NB panels make everything look small. Most new applications handle this well but some don't and you get odd size windows. If it's on it will be an icon in your system tray, try setting it back to a normal level and see what happens.

I have a few other ideas but I need to know the notebook so I can find out what the video card is.

Vehn
09-05-2003, 02:27 PM
Although blaming Dell is obviously easy and painless, I would prefer to just follow occam's razor and conclude that, once again, Party sucks.

Copernicus
09-05-2003, 02:38 PM
More importantly, how did you post the screen shot? Ive been trying post a .bmp screen shot from some holdem software but havent found the right way to do it!

(I dont care much for Dell, but had enormous service/support problems with a Gateway, after great experiences with their service/support with 3 others. I was about ready to use a Warranty lawyer when they finally replaced the motherboard after 5 failed attempts at other solutions.)

I picked up a Sharp laptop because I needed one fast and local before a business trip, half intending to return it (the store doesnt charge a restocking fee) after the trip. I liked it so much I kept it, and so far so good. If it didnt weigh as much as a rainsoaked hard copy of SuperSystem I'd really love it!

MaqEvil
09-05-2003, 06:24 PM
Yes!

Thank you. Changing the DPI setting from large to normal fixed this issue.

For anyone else having this same problem, to fix it, go to control panel - display - settings tab - advanced - general tab and change the DPI settings to normal.

RiverMel
09-05-2003, 06:27 PM
Hit the "Print Screen" (or PrntScrn, or PrtSc, depending on your keyboard) button. This will copy the image of the screen to your clipboard. Then, open up Microsoft Paintbrush (or whatever imaging program you want). Then, go to Edit->Paste, and the image should be pasted there.

MaqEvil
09-05-2003, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
More importantly, how did you post the screen shot? Ive been trying post a .bmp screen shot from some holdem software but havent found the right way to do it!

[/ QUOTE ]

If you hit the prntscrn key, it will place an image of your screen in the clipboard, go to paint (or whatever image software) and paste it, then save.

FWIW, I like Dell, their price was a little better than Gateway. I didn't shop around too much, but the price seemed reasonable. The main reason I like Dell is their support; they've always been prompt about sending replacement parts without a hassle, including damages that were obviously my fault (blown out speakers, twice). Plus, recently, when my desktop's video card died, they sent a new, top of the line one as a replacement.

abc123
09-05-2003, 06:51 PM
Dell is the best?

Hmmm...is this a dell, an HP, Gateway?
Intel Motherboard
Intel CPU
Viking SDRAM 512MB
Seagate SCSI 120GB HD
Mitsumi FDD
Adaptec SCSI Controller Card
Enlite Mid Tower Case
Windows XP Professional
ETC, ETC, ETC....

Nope, it is a one of about 250 workstations I have built for a company.

Now if I had one of those little sticky things to put on the front of the case...I could make it a Dell, or even a Gateway.

Dell has very good customer support. If one was interested in a laptop, I would recommend Dell to them.

Josh, why don't you shut the f*ck up. You WERE a systems engineer? I'll bet you were either a tape monkey, or a phone support dude. What happened, the Health Care Company figured out you were a little mental and fired you? Or did you quit to pursue a career as a premier webmaster? You are an idiot...and your site sucks. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

RiverMel
09-05-2003, 07:06 PM
Dell makes fine desktops. Maybe even worth 75% of the price they're charging for them. I'd never buy one, but if you need hand-holding technical support, then they're not a terrible choice.

There is a big distinction between the quality of their desktops and the quality of their laptops, however. It stems from the fact that laptop components are, in general, much more prone to failure than desktop components. This is due in part to the miniaturization process, among other factors. For this reason, you do not want to skimp at all when it comes to the internal components of a laptop. The difference in performance / reliability between a top notch motherboard and a discount motherboard in a laptop is much greater than the difference between a top notch and discount motherboard in a desktop.

Now, here's where Dell screws things up. They don't have consistent quality suppliers for their laptop components. They change suppliers as the prices the suppliers charge change. They simply look for the best deal, and what often results is that they use (a) sub-par parts, (b) parts that they haven't tested thoroughly for compatibility with the other components due to the fact that they frequently change suppliers. This one major reason why Dell laptops frequently have so many problems.

If you want my reccomendation for a laptop, I would suggest either an IBM or a Sony. They use very high quality components consistently. Not only that, they both have good tech support and both are solid companies in general. Thinkpads and VAIOs have maybe 10% of the problems that Lattitudes/Inspirions have.

Not to say any of these component issues are at play in the Party Poker question at hand.

_2000Flushes
09-05-2003, 07:42 PM
I agree with RiverMe that Sony is an excellent choice.

I need to dispell this little myth about Dell customer support being anything less than satanic. I have found, on the whole, that corporate clients do in fact receive excellent support, and for good reason. But if you're a home user, and especially if you're buying a laptop, prepare to get bent over.

There's no point in getting into my bad-beat story with Dell. Maybe I'll email it to RockLobster. But after dozens of hours on the phone (most of which was on hold), emails and written letters, I gave up. The machine they sent me wasn't what I ordered, was late, and systematically broke down over the first year that I owned it. I would get only the distinct impression that they were laughing at me, the little customer, for trying to get their help.

Anyway, I don't want to give myself another hernia. Just know that, though there are some success stories out there, you're really rolling the dice as a home user. (And this came from the guy working at one of those Dell kiosks in the mall.)

I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes here; that's not my intention. Dell just happened to bring me and several friends great agony, and I had to say something.

-2kF

slavic
09-06-2003, 02:51 AM
I scare myself how good I am at this.

I doubt the issue is with Dell as much as Party's software developer not keeping up with the latest MS spec.

Simon Diamond
09-06-2003, 05:02 AM
Nope, it is a one of about 250 workstations I have built for a company.

Good isn't it /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Half the price too.

Simon

slavic
09-06-2003, 02:11 PM
Guys the cost of the hardware has nothing to do with it.