PDA

View Full Version : check raising on the turn

jt1
09-05-2003, 12:42 AM
In general, is check raising on the turn a good idea? I had AQo on the big blind and called a single raise. It was a loose passive game with three players seeing the flop. The pre-flop raiser bet on the flop (4sKdQc) and the other player called. So do I. The turn comes Q and I now have trips. I was first to act. I bet. Should I have check raised? What if there were more players, say five players saw the turn. How about then?

crockpot
09-05-2003, 04:35 AM
it is important to draw a distinction between different check-raising situations based on where the bettor is situated compared to you.

in the situation you described, even though check-raising totally gives away your hand to a good player, i think that it is a good play. low-limit players will call your raise anyway, and you may be trapping the middle player for an extra bet by check-raising.

when there are five players in, your primary consideration is who the bettor is. you want to trap people for extra bets with this hand, and you don't mind someone with JT calling because an ace makes you an even better hand. so the only hand you really want to knock out is a possible backdoor flush draw, which is a fairly remote chance. i would bet out here if the raiser is in last position, and check-raise if he's in early position. between those extremes it's a judgment call.

rayrns
09-05-2003, 06:59 AM
You didn't say what Q hit on the turn. If it was the Qh to complete the rainbow board, I would check call the turn. That makes it look like you are on a draw. Then depending on the river card, you can bet out or if you think the raiser will bet then go for the c/r. You don't want to get where you are always using the turn for your c/r or you'll get no callers when you bet out on the river.

Nottom
09-05-2003, 09:28 AM
I never liked the wait till the river to uncloak strategy, at least not from out of position with multiple people in the pot. You lose the bets you would get on the turn from people with straight draws and have the danger of the river getting checked through since so many people are afraid to bet it.

onegymrat
09-05-2003, 01:37 PM
Don't slowplay. Bet it and you will not chance having this checked around. If there were five to act behind you, I would still bet. If it was a loose table as you described, you'll get plenty of callers especially since KQ is on the board. There should be plenty of top pair or straight draws in a table like this to pay you off.

Then again, this is a general idea of what I normally do. If I had been at the table with the same players for a few hours, and are used to each other's plays, I'd checkraise only if I was sure preflop raiser would bet the turn. Good luck.

thomastem
09-05-2003, 03:59 PM
The correct move depends on the strategy that you wish to employ. Betting vs Check-raising makes more or less sense on how you play your other types of hands. Folding and check-calling are incorrect in my opinion.