PDA

View Full Version : Diary of an online poker player #12

GrinningBuddha
09-04-2003, 09:52 PM
Day 48 – My Empire for a break

I love the Party games, I really do. However, when you have 6-8 people seeing each flop, and 1 or 2 people seeing every flop, you’re going to have times where they hit their hands and crack yours. And during certain periods, they’re going to do it more frequently than normal. This sort of thing goes with the territory, and if you’re not willing to accept it, you shouldn’t be diving into the pond in the first place.

That said, it’s getting kinda tiresome. I could regale you with bad beat after gutshot after runner runner, but that would accomplish nothing. At least for you, anyway. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Instead, I’ll just be thankful that the few hands that have held up have allowed me to almost keep even while collecting my deposit bonus at Empire. Now I’m wondering if a change of pace might help me snap out of my funk and keep my interest up. I’m two for two in the Sit N Go’s I’ve played so far, so tonight I think I’ll try some $10+1 games and see how they go. It’ll break up the monotony of the .50/1.00 play a bit and keep my mind fresh.

I’ve had thoughts of heading over to Pokerstars as well, but the lack of any discernable deposit bonus has prevented me from doing that just yet. Rumor has it that they’ll come up with one eventually, so I think I’ll just hang tight until then.

I don’t have any hands to present today as I don’t seem to have any set aside at the moment. I will however ask those of you reading if you’ve noticed a tendency for opponents to raise or checkraise the turn with hands such as gutshots, a pair with a gutshot, four to a flush, etc? Perhaps they’ve always done this and I’m only noticing it now that they’re hitting their ridiculous draws, but it sure seems like this sort of play is becoming more popular. God bless ‘em.

I’ll let you know how the SnG’s go. Wish me luck!

Diary #11 (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=329793&page=0&view=collap sed&sb=5&o=365&fpart=1)

rayrns
09-05-2003, 07:33 AM
I don't play at Party, but Stars also has some $1 and $3 tourneys that pay down to about 25th and top 9 qualify for a tourney on Sun. that has first place prize of $100. I have used these along with some SnG's when I seem to be getting lot's of cold hands. Or just want a break from ring games. Hope you come over to Stars. I would enjoy sitting at a table with you. Or maybe I wouldn't. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cigwin
09-05-2003, 08:20 AM
I have mostly played at party and although it is profitable, the times you lose to the LAG's on the river is very frustrating. I tried Pokerstars early this week and I happened to try UB last night and found a remarkable difference. Very civil games. I came out ahead in both and there were no wild swings. 2 to 4 hitting the flop. I was a nice change of pace

southerndog
09-05-2003, 10:46 AM
Isn't the same thing that makes these games frustrating the same thing that makes them easy?

SirFoldsAlot
09-05-2003, 10:52 AM
I love UB, I have been playing 1-2 and 2-4 Kill and the games have been so loose passive.

GrinningBuddha
09-05-2003, 12:09 PM
Isn't the same thing that makes these games frustrating the same thing that makes them easy?

Something like that. It all depends on how the cards fall. You can't ask for much better conditions, all you can ask for is for that river card to tiptoe among the collective outs your opponents have. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

GrinningBuddha
09-05-2003, 12:14 PM
The cold cards continued and my previous SnG success was not duplicated. I do so hate getting outflushed. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

A short follow up session in the ring games brought more unfortunate results in the form of missed draws and just bad starting hands. C'est la vie.

I do so look forward to the end of this cold streak. One hopes it's just around the corner.

Cheers!

ChipWrecked
09-05-2003, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I love UB, I have been playing 1-2 and 2-4 Kill and the games have been so loose passive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wish I had the BR to play those games. The .50/1 games are fairly tight, not uncommon at all for a pre-flop raise to fold everyone out.

ReRaise
09-05-2003, 06:45 PM
Ive not noticed these turn plays, at least not at 1/2. I have noticed raises on the turn with over pairs from late position. Usually, how it goes is I flop top pair in the BB, bet out, get called by a couple people, the turn makes my two pair, I bet out agian, then get raised from late position by KK... lol. The unfortunat thing, is i dont reriase fearing trips.

That being said, the chaseres that are sometimes frustrating typically are how i come out a winner. At low limits, I bet when i make the best hand. It holds up more often than not and whoever decides to chase contributes to my stack over time.

GrinningBuddha
09-05-2003, 07:28 PM
At low limits, I bet when i make the best hand. It holds up more often than not and whoever decides to chase contributes to my stack over time.

Ah, the 'long run'. How far away that wonderful horizon seems right now. Indeed this is why we play where we do; this will all seem a distant memory once the cards stop making my opponents hands. /images/graemlins/smile.gif