PDA

View Full Version : Credibility

Wake up CALL
09-04-2003, 09:32 PM
Would you lean towards believing this:

MICHAEL SPRINGMAN:
In Saudi Arabia I was repeatedly ordered by high level State Dept officials to issue visas to unqualified applicants. These were, essentially, people who had no ties either to Saudi Arabia or to their own country. I complained bitterly at the time there. I returned to the US, I complained to the State Dept here, to the General Accounting Office, to the Bureau of Diplomatic Security and to the Inspector General's office. I was met with silence.

if you knew the same person also said this"

SPRINGMAN:
What I was protesting was, in reality, an effort to bring recruits, rounded up by Osama Bin Laden, to the US for terrorist training by the CIA.

Just curious.

brad
09-04-2003, 10:26 PM
well u were wrong about joe f. or whatever. (author)

where does is springman quoted for 2nd quote?

Chris Alger
09-04-2003, 10:37 PM
Before you get address credibility, perhaps you should find something that's disputable. That the CIA sent mujahideen into Afghanistan and trained bin Laden's recruits is hardly news. Moreover, according the Associated Press, US officials haven't denied Springman's story.

"American officials estimate that, from 1985 to 1992, 12,500 foreigners were trained in bomb-making, sabotage and urban guerrilla warfare in Afghan camps the CIA helped to set up. Since the fall of the Soviet puppet government in 1992, another 2,500 are believed to have passed through the camps. They are now run by an assortment of Islamic extremists, including Osama bin Laden, the world's most wanted terrorist."

The Guardian Unlimited, Frankenstein the CIA Created (http://www.guardian.co.uk/yemen/Story/0,2763,209260,00.html), Jan. 17 1999

Note the date.

Wake up CALL
09-04-2003, 10:43 PM
Chris I take it that you are unable to answer my question. BTW, posting an article by the Guardian does little for your credibility.

Chris Alger
09-05-2003, 01:18 AM
I guess I should have typed it more slowly. Your question isn't worth answering because it's based on the stupid assumption that a highly plausible event must be untrue. Citing the Guardian undercuts my credibility, as if "it was in the Guardian, so it must be false"? Tall talk for someone who just got his butt kicked by brad.

clovenhoof
09-05-2003, 01:41 AM
You might as well quote Galileo saying that the Earth revolves around the Sun and ask, "Who would believe him over the Pope?"

It's trite, it's obvious, it's common knowledge, and if you don't like the Guardian, try www.theatlantic.com (http://www.theatlantic.com) -- their archives have many similar articles. Check the Economist.. check whatever magazine you trust. This news is alot older than the 1999 article cited by the other poster.

'hoof

Wake up CALL
09-05-2003, 10:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Tall talk for someone who just got his butt kicked by brad.

[/ QUOTE ]

The poster you mentioned in your above quote merely invents other peoples answers to his questions then refutes a position which does not exist. He is unable to follow links within his own threads and responds to posters not even yet in his thread. I hardly consider him an oponnent worthy of discourse. You however at least present a valid opinion with cogent responses to questions asked of you, whether or not I agree with many of them or not is another topic.