PDA

View Full Version : Othmer's stud book?

08-22-2001, 12:10 AM
Any opinion's - have Super/System and both versions of 7CSFAP, will I get anything from this book?

thanks.

Dan Z.

08-22-2001, 02:30 AM
Here's my review of it which appears in the latest edition of my Gambling Theory book. Notice tha I gave it a 7 on a scale of 1 to 10 (with 10 being the best).

The Elements of Seven-Card Stud (7) by Konstantin Othmer. This is the second edition of this text and it is much better than the original. Gone is much of the silly and inaccurate advice, particularly that pertaining to a wild image, and the simulation data is now based more on real hand matchups than some particular hand versus random hands. But the book still has a few problems. The main one being that the author virtually never takes into account the size of the pot and the structure of the betting. Yet, even with this criticism, a pretty good player, who understands how stud hands are played can find some real value here. Just be aware that some of the advice will need a little adjusting.

08-22-2001, 07:45 AM
I read this book when I was first starting out as a stud player and didnt get much from it. After I had read other books and had been playing for a while I reread it. At that point I found the book much easier to read and it had good advice. I found the matchup stats and pie charts to be helpful. Abeginning stud player should probably look elsewhere, i.e. roy wests book, but a more experienced player will find lots of useful ideas and info in othmers book.

Pat

08-22-2001, 10:02 AM
I agree with both Patrick's and Mason's statements regarding this book. It's quite useful, but only once you have a strong background that is rooted in other literature (and experience) first).