PDA

View Full Version : Ray Zee In Print

Al Mirpuri
09-03-2003, 10:55 AM
Why are there no references to Ray Zee in the works of those who have written about Vegas?

Al Alvarez (The Biggest Game In Town), Anthony Holden (Big Deal) and David Spanier (Total Poker) have all written about poker and Vegas - and all used to play in the same Tuesday night game in London, England - but no one mentions Ray Zee. Why is this?

In Jon Bradshaw's 'Fast Company' an account of Johnny Moss's adventures is given and Moss mentions Sarge, which is a name I've only come across before through Ray Zee's posts. So, Ray was there or there abouts but does not find his name in print. Close but no cigar.

I'm sure it does not matter to Ray Zee but it has left me a little puzzled.

PS: Come to think of it, in Supersystem, Ray Zee does not appear in the group photographs of WSOP contestants for 1970 and 1971. He was there, I think, I believe he has said so in a post but I may be wrong.

Why no Ray Zee references?

Ray Zee
09-03-2003, 11:18 PM
i was younger than most of them plus i played alot of stud during the tournaments rather than holdem. also i didnt live in vegas and wasnt around very much. i knew david spanier but not the other writers. i played with all the big players through the years and knew all the big players well. i was there when they took the photo but didnt have a suit on as i was a hippie then. no one on earth would want me in that picture. that far back i certainly was a complete outsider to everyone there. and probably still so.

RiverMel
09-03-2003, 11:39 PM
you da man ray.

BruceZ
09-04-2003, 01:52 AM
Yesterday upon the stair
I saw a man that wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
How I wish he'd go away.

- Hugh Mearns, from his poem "The Psychoed"

John Ho
09-04-2003, 03:30 AM
Being an outsider is ok Ray...I'd rather be rich and retired than still grinding away in my 50s. If you weren't an outsider you'd probably still be there doing the same this you did 30 years ago. I'm sure you're having more fun as is.