PDA

View Full Version : Value bet.

Bob T.
09-03-2003, 04:18 AM
Online 3-6 game.

3 limpers to me, in the small blind, I have AQ of spades. I raise, the BB and limpers all call. 10 sbs in the pot.

Flop 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I've been running a little good in this game, and I thought that if the flop didn't hit anyone, there might be enough fear in the game, that I could really narrow the field down. I bet, and one of the limpers called.

Turn, A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I bet, and the limper raised, I called.

River 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif I check, the limper bets, and I raise. How did I do?

haakee
09-03-2003, 05:36 AM
The part I really don't like is the river raise. Do you really think that he'll fold 2 pair or better? I can't imagine he'd call with many worse hands either -- *maybe* ace-medium kicker but not very likely.

Bob T.
09-03-2003, 05:53 AM
At the time I played this hand, when he called on the flop, I thought that he might be calling with overcards, because there were players left to act after him on the flop, so I thought that if he got part of a coordinated flop, that he should have probably raised to punish weak draws behind him. When he raised me on the turn, I thought that the ace had hit him, and because he didn't raise preflop, I thought that my kicker was likely better. If a Jack or Ten, didn't hit on the river, I decided that I would checkraise the river.

If he can three bet me on the river, I think that I have an easy fold with only one pair.

Results below.

He had AT suited, called my raise, and my hand was good.

rigoletto
09-03-2003, 06:03 AM
well played. I think he's likely to have Ax more than 50% of the time (in a Party 3/6 game) and I like the river checkraise better than a turn 3-bet. You don't want to face a cap from an overagressive player and you don't want a weak player to fold. Besides you know he'll bet the river if he hit the A.

Brian
09-03-2003, 07:10 AM
Hi Bob,

Not sure about the River raise, I'll let someone better than I am answer that question, but I'll add my comments anyways /images/graemlins/wink.gif. My immediate thought upon reading your original post was that you wouldn't really be too happy in most of the situations where you are called here. Most of the hands that you beat would probably be scared off by the River raise, and you could be facing a re-raise from a hand that is better than yours.

However, after reading your 2nd post and seeing that you were pretty sure this guy had a specific hand, then this play definitely seems better. However, my question is: What would you have done if you were re-raised? Could you have comfortably let it go? If you have a pretty good read on the guy then I bet you'd know the answer better than any of us, but I usually don't get such confident reads on my opponents online. Therefore, I'd probably call the re-raise, in which case my raise cost me 2 more bets. And usually IMO it has the potential to gain you none. That's just my 2c though /images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Brian

samdash
09-03-2003, 07:30 AM
seems pretty hopeless

Inthacup
09-03-2003, 10:38 AM
Why didn't you 3-bet the turn?

Playing it the way you did, did you think about betting out on the river?

blueboles
09-03-2003, 11:11 AM
which once again proves my theory: Germans Love David Hasselhof

Inthacup
09-03-2003, 11:22 AM
Ding! we have a winner. This is Frank Stallone at his finest. Never was there a man who received more ridicule from Norm MacDonald.

slavic
09-03-2003, 11:47 AM
He either has a weeker Ace or 78 and is slow playing for the turn raise. Two pair would raise the flop, a set raiss the flop on this flop.

I think I'd raise the turn, fold to a 4 bet, lead on a call, be happy if he folded.

Your way makes more if you win.

rigoletto
09-03-2003, 12:36 PM
Hi Slavic

I think your analysis explains excactly why Bob's play is a good one.

Inthacup
09-03-2003, 12:42 PM
I think I'd raise the turn, fold to a 4 bet, lead on a call, be happy if he folded.

Your way makes more if you win.

Bob: Call turn raise- 2 BB
check raise river(assuming he doesn't 3-bet)- 2 BB

Slavic: 3-bet turn- 3 BB
Lead river(assuming opponent calls)- 1 BB

How does Bob's way make more if he wins?

slavic
09-03-2003, 01:03 PM
Because I will fold to a 4 bet that may be a semi-bluff and there are certain cards that I won't lead with on the river.

The reason I like my play though is I know if I'm putting in that final bet or not. So I get to the river for the same price and I can choose to bet for value on the end.

Bob T.
09-03-2003, 01:21 PM
Not sure about the River raise,

Me either, that is why I posted it.

What would you have done if you were re-raised? Could you have comfortably let it go?

Absolutely, I would fold to a reraise. If he three bets, he either has a straight, or a flopped set.