PDA

View Full Version : Online Players' Poker Tells

FireMantis
09-02-2003, 07:31 PM
Hello, I'm new to this forum and new to hold 'em in general. I've been learning how to play super loose games by lurking in the penny tables at UB's site. I am no expert, but I have noticed some things that you can pick up on in an online game that might give you information on what kinds of hands to put the other players on.

1. Betting
I'm not talking about betting patterns per se, but even in loose games reraises are a good indication that they have something. This should be fairly remedial but in the penny games people either don't get it or don't care. Of course, when a check/call on the turn becomes a raise on the river when the third diamond comes up, they usually have hit their flush draw. Anyways, since there are usually 6-9 people in these pots, when a check/call becomes a raise when a scary card comes up, it seems to usually mean trouble.

2. Pausing
In low limits online play, most players' moves aren't as preprogrammed as they are for veterans. They pause to make tough decisions. Usually after a pause, they will fold. If they raise after a pause and aren't compulsive bluffers, they were probably worried about revealing a strong hand by raising or betting out. Sometimes, of course, it is just because they are playing multiple games or distracted.

3. Chatting
Sometimes players will tell you what they have in these loosey-goosey games. They rarely lie about it too. They will also say things like "I'm on tilt" and they are. It is always a good idea to keep chat on and watch the little window to look for a clue that pops up every now an then.

4. Autochecking/Autoraising
Most online games allow a player to make a decision ahead of time, such as Check/Fold, Call Any, Raise Any. Sometimes when a person or a group of people check instantly it means they have the Check/Fold button activated. They have a dead hand and are waiting for someone to bet so they can fold. If you have a multiway sensitive hand, it might be a good idea to oblige them before they draw out on you. If you get an insta-raise, this person could care less about their position or how many bets have come in front of them. You can usually count on them haveing a strong hand if this happens.

5. Playing Multiple Games
UB usually runs several tables with the same stakes. It also allows you to play at 4 or 5 of them. Take a look to see if the anyone at your table is playing multiple tables. If they are, they tend to play only very strong hands and don't pay much attention to what other players are doing. If you can take advantage of this, go for it.

I only have about 1000 hours under my belt in online poker and these are just a few observations. Maybe someone else has someting to add on this subject.

Al_Capone_Junior
09-03-2003, 01:39 PM
On multiple games: UB is the WORST site to do this on because it changes back and forth between two (or more) games rapidly and keeps doing it as long as you have a decision to make at both tables. It is nearly impossible to deal with, and you're almost certain to make a critical mistake sooner or later playing multiple tables at UB. Other sites are much easier, tho I am not a fan of multiple tables at all. Really the only time I do so is when a tourney starts and I want to play around till my blind comes up again before quitting.

On auto-raise: You have that one right. They're virtually always quite strong when they do this. I get the biggest kick tho out of "call-any" type players. For instance, last week in 7CS: Player with split threes, nine kicker winds up calling three raises cold against aces, kings, and rolled up sixes. These people are pointless to bluff against, or to try and steal the antes against.

On pauses: interpret with much caution. A more reliable sign is when they do NOT pause. Most of the time they are strong if they bet/raise/call without taking any time to think about it.

Also, you did not say specifically, but it sounded like you're talking about limit games. In no limit these tells and such can be more valuable, but can also be exploited by the observant player. For instance, sometimes I take a long pause for no reason, just to cover the times when I pause for a tough decision. Another ploy I use, usually when heads up and last to act, is to instantly bet around the size of the pot when I'm bluffing. (UB has a "bet pot" button which makes this easier). I have found that long pauses in NL online are difficult to interpret. People will do so with anything from a pure bluff to the pure nuts. However, quick bets are much more likely to be legitimate bets than bluffs.

al

ChipWrecked
09-03-2003, 02:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
UB is the WORST site to do this on because it changes back and forth between two (or more) games rapidly

[/ QUOTE ]

The 'mini view' or whatever they call it is one of the best features of any online site, try it.

Aces McGee
09-03-2003, 04:01 PM
I'm not talking about betting patterns per se, but even in loose games reraises are a good indication that they have something.

Did this make anyone else laugh?

No offense intended FireMantis...I enjoyed your post very much. I've been paying attention to the pauses and auto-moves some lately too, though not enough to draw conclusions from the results. Your thoughts seem solid, though. Especially the one about three-betting being a sign of a good hand. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cheers,
Aces McGee

Al_Capone_Junior
09-03-2003, 04:10 PM

bunky9590
09-03-2003, 05:06 PM
I usually play 3 tables at a time on UB. i have noticed that people have fallen in love with the check raise at the lower limits and take extra time to check before they do. If they take more than 3 seconds to check, ITS COMING!!!

FireMantis
09-03-2003, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not talking about betting patterns per se, but even in loose games reraises are a good indication that they have something.

Did this make anyone else laugh?

No offense intended FireMantis...I enjoyed your post very much. I've been paying attention to the pauses and auto-moves some lately too, though not enough to draw conclusions from the results. Your thoughts seem solid, though. Especially the one about three-betting being a sign of a good hand. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cheers,
Aces McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

It would make me laugh, too, but I was referring to the loose penny tables. It is the #1 most important indication that someone has a strong hand, and it should be self-evident why. I think these loose players are always suspicious of bluffs so they will call with their pocket 4s all the way to the river.

Al_Capone_Junior
09-03-2003, 06:40 PM
I purposely pause before I check about 50% of the time, especially in cases where I wouldn't mind getting a free card, for this exact reason. It often works too.

al

GuyOnTilt
09-03-2003, 09:25 PM
I was definitely chuckling. Even more-so at his response. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif No hard feelings Mr. Original Poster (I can't see your handle from my current screen and I'm much too lazy to hit the back button). I liked all your other ones though. Good observations.

Oski
09-17-2003, 09:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On multiple games: UB is the WORST site to do this on because it changes back and forth between two (or more) games rapidly and keeps doing it as long as you have a decision to make at both tables. It is nearly impossible to deal with, and you're almost certain to make a critical mistake sooner or later playing multiple tables at UB.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had this problem too. I noticed I had the option "force table to the front on" After I took it off, the games switched back and forth as they do on other sites. Maybe that is the problem you are having.

blueboles
09-18-2003, 04:23 PM
HomeStarRunner is the best.

PrimeRoll
09-19-2003, 10:44 AM
Is that pic from the "The Play", Cal-Stanford?

Rainbow Warrior
09-23-2003, 03:08 AM