PDA

View Full Version : New Tourney ideas

Inthacup
09-02-2003, 11:44 AM
Hello all,

now that the KOTZ is back in swing(wtg Simon!), there's not as much of a need for me to organize a limit/NL HE tourney. I was thinking of something more like organizing another challenge or a HU tourney again.

If we do a HU tourney, here's an idea: Let's say we get 32 players. We can get everyone registered a week in advance, and have stars or whoever give us a list of the matchups. Then I can just write up a bracket and we can have everyone fill it out, March Madness-style. We could do a betting pool and all kinds of bounties. This would be fun as hell and would get many people interested in the tourney? What do you think?

I'm also up for challenging other groups. Maybe another forum on here or RGP or something. Just give me some feedback on what you guys want to do and I'll see if I can arrange it.

Cup

jasonHoldEm
09-02-2003, 11:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Word of the day: coitus

[/ QUOTE ]

"I was talking about my rug." The Dude

Anyways, I think the HU tournaments are fun, but they are soooooo long it can be a pain (not for me of course, since I always get knocked out early). With the "September Madness" element thrown in it would certainly be more exciting. So I'd have to say I'd be more intersted in HU tournament than taking on another group, the group challenges just release a wave of flames on the board and cause Mat to work overtime (although RGP would be exciting /images/graemlins/grin.gif).

jHE

Edit: Maybe a different format for a full ring HE tournament? Bounty or a shootout? Can any of the regular sites do these?

XlgJoe
09-02-2003, 12:16 PM
I agree with Jason that the group challenges can cause some bad feelings. On the other hand I thought they were fun. Most of the problems occur because someone feels that the other team is soft player their team members.

Can a poker room make your name anonymous? That way you would never know if someone were your teammate. You would also have to turn off chat.

You might be able to use the heads-up format to play group challenges. As long as it an equal number of players on each team 16 Vs 16. The first game would be against someone from the other group, and the remaining match-ups would already determined.

jek187
09-03-2003, 07:18 AM
Thoughts RE: September Madness

I would LOVE this idea. However, I find playing a lot of HU in one sitting very draining. Maybe do it one level at a time with a 1-6 days off in between. Give more time for us to speculate and really hype the events.

Challenging other groups: We only had problems w/that group from TNT because of edwardr making baseless public accusations. I say bring on UPF, RGP, or the small stakes forum. If the buy-in is decent, say $30, I don't think many people will give up the EV to softplay a team member where only pride is at stake. Made I'm delusional but don't see it anywhere close to a problem.

HavanaBanana
09-03-2003, 07:45 AM
I have been at UPF (UnitedPokerForum.com) and badgered them a few times about having a competition with the Zoo.

I was initially suggesting a 30$ buyin, with half going to prizes and other half going to winning team from losing team so noone on the winning team loses money, but that became a little too team oriented.

However I think they will accept a challege from us where we play a regular tourney , with some kind of pointscore declaring the winner.

I think that a limit event is more fun than a NL event due to people being in longer.

20 or 30$ buyin perhaps?

Shall we have the same number of players on each team, or make it a free for all ZOO and UPF members, and calculate the points divided by # of members competing?

Inthacup
09-03-2003, 12:29 PM
Jek, I think that's a valid idea. Say there's 32 people in the tourney, we'd have:

Round of 32, 16, 8, 4, Championship

I'd prefer not to have the tourney drag over 5 weeks. Maybe if we had the first 2 rounds the first night, then the round of 8 and 4 the next week with the Championship the week after.

Another thing to think about would be if we organized something with RGP. We could do it 1 of 2 ways, we could have 32 vs. 32 where a 2+2er played an RGPer the first round or we could divide up into seperate brackets and have the champ from RGP play the Zoo champ. I like the first idea better. It would be easy to do team scoring and we wouldn't have to worry about softplaying players from our own teams.

What do you guys think?

Cup

Spartacus
09-03-2003, 01:00 PM
I may be out of line making a suggestion seeing as I have never played in one of these. The reason being, I have only donated in Limit HO tourneys over the years in B&M and internet cardrooms.

Anyway, my suggestion is a HORSE tournament or something similiar to what those guys tried a few years back. I think the WPT CEO Steve Lipscomb was involved. Someone remember what that was?

n1stunnor
09-03-2003, 01:04 PM

Mike Haven
09-03-2003, 01:34 PM
the trouble with holding it over 3 or 5 weeks is that things come up and a quarter-finalist, say, might not be able to make it to play what is now a very important match

also, you would need to check with the site that they would use up some of their valuable tables and general support-manpower over the entire playing period, rather than for an all-in-one-night tourney

finally, could it perhaps be organised in a form where A and B, etc, arrange between them to play at a time suitable for them both within a specific five-day time period, and they post in their results to you - if they can't come to an agreement then they MUST play at a default time of ,say, 2100 hours on a wednesday - if one or both don't sign in to the table for that last-chance game one or both loses and is knocked out of the competition - if both are knocked out, the guy who was to play the winner in the next round receives a bye into the following round

again, the site would need to be able to be pretty flexible to take on such a tournament, but it could work in principle

because of the potential participants coming from the US, the UK, Europe, Australia, the South Pole, and wherever, timing of tournaments has always been a problem (for everyone outside the US, anyway) and this system, albeit a little more complex to arrange, would suit everyone equally

ArchAngel71857
09-03-2003, 02:19 PM
because of the potential participants coming from the US, the UK, Europe, Australia, the South Pole, and wherever, timing of tournaments has always been a problem (for everyone outside the US, anyway) and this system, albeit a little more complex to arrange, would suit everyone equally

yes, thank you mike. down here in the south pole, the penguins get irate when we dont show enough penguin lovin. I love me some pnguin lovin!

-AA

Mr Radar
09-03-2003, 05:26 PM
Yes, I agree that this would be a good format. (Not that I would even be eligible to play.)

And as for AA (mmmmmmm, that's a nice sight), I feel that I can relate to your penguin lovin problems. See, I'm the only gay eskimo in my tribe; and it can get really cold here.

Radar

tiltboy
09-03-2003, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"I was talking about my rug." The Dude

[/ QUOTE ]
Maude: You're not interested in sex?
The Dudester: You mean coitus?

thomastem
09-03-2003, 05:37 PM
Here's a very different idea but in my o fits right in with this forum and encourages newbies to play even if they think they are dead money.

After the tourney the players that came in the money come on 2+2 the next day and give advice to those they played against. I don't mean an essay and I don't mean a smack session. Take a hand, explain how they could improve table image, where they missed a bet, how they calculated pot odds incorrectly.

This is perfectly in the spirit of this site and Poker. Newbies get educated and veterans get more money at a lower skill level.

Mr Radar
09-03-2003, 06:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You mean coitus?

[/ QUOTE ]

... I mean, you know the guy?