PDA

View Full Version : Does Party Poker use shills?

westmt01
09-02-2003, 09:59 AM
Does anyone know if Party Poker uses shills? The reason I'm asking is that I have seen some really crazy things take place there lately, even by Party standards. About a week ago I was at a table with someone who NEVER folded before or on the flop, very rarely folded on the turn, but folded quite a bit on the river. Needless to say she lost a bundle. A few days later I encountered another player doing the smae thing. So, as per the very valuable advice received from this forum, I put both of these people on my buddy list. Yesterday when I saw that one of them was playing, I scoured the site until I found her, and sat down at her table. She was doing the exact same thing, and managed to win 2 hands in 2 hours. I'm not complaining, because I made quite a bit of money, but it just seems impossible that an actual person would play like this. It was like she was TRYING to lose (and she was doing a good job of it). Is it possible that Party is sweetening the pot as it were by using shills? Unfortunately these "players" were only at the low levels (.50/1). If these are shills, more power to them! I can use the extra cash!

Inthacup
09-02-2003, 10:06 AM
As fun as it is to generate conspiracy theories about our beloved online poker sites, a little logic here would show that

1. The newbies are most likely to play .5-1
2. There are more than 5k players on at all times, sometimes over 13k, not everyone thinks rationally like me and you.
3. What is party really gaining here? It would be much more profitable to attract players with a comeback bonus than to dump exiting players some chips at .5-1.

Just forget what you believe 'should' happen at the poker table, because your notions are probably wrong.

Cup

westmt01
09-02-2003, 10:26 AM
You're probably right, and I'm not trying to start any conspiracy theories. It makes absolutely no sense for Party to throw free money onto the tables. It's just bizarre that someone would play like that, even a complete newbie. I've been on Party for about 6 months, and I've seen some pretty bad players. But nothing like what I saw last night. As I said I'm not complaining; I tripled the amount I brought to the table in less than an hour. It's nice to have someone subsidising every pot with $3-4. May the lunacy continue!

David Steele
09-02-2003, 10:47 AM
It is pretty easy to imagine that a very new player might not fold until they get all "their" cards ( most of the time ).

D.

HUSKER'66
09-02-2003, 11:07 AM
Make a sacrifice to the poker gods immediately! And never look a gifted horse in the mouth. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

thylacine
09-02-2003, 11:12 AM
I think no, because shills are needed to keep dying games alive --- and party has the opposite problem.

But there is certainly bizarre behaviour. I had a player on my immediate left who most hands must have used the `check/call any' auto-play option. Regardless of my action, their chips instantly appeared to call, regardless of the prior action or amount of bet. (Unfortunately this kept messing me up, because I happened to be getting hands where I would like to raise to narrow the field, but would be thwarted by this player's auto-calls, which would tend to invite others in.)

This was in limit. I have seen players appear to select the `check/call any' auto-play option in no-limit which is pure kamimazee.

tiltboy
09-02-2003, 01:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would like to raise to narrow the field,

[/ QUOTE ]

Bwahahahahahaha

OMG, thanks that's a good one.

Poker Advantage
09-02-2003, 01:23 PM
In one word yes.

Inthacup
09-02-2003, 01:25 PM
In one word: explain.

eugeneel
09-02-2003, 01:29 PM
This "autocall" mentality is typical of they players who are new to poker but have spent a good chunk of their lives playing slots. Be very very gratefull fot them. Not many of these at my 25-50 limit. The bad players there are always maniacs and never calling stations. Maniacs are harder to deal with Heads up in my opinion as I always have to make close decisions like wether to cakk with lowest pair bad kicker 1v1 or not.

Poker Advantage
09-02-2003, 01:31 PM
They admit to using shills and props. Just call them and ask you will see.

Josh

jumpthru
09-02-2003, 01:33 PM
Where is this buddy list for party???

tiltboy
09-02-2003, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In one word: explain.

[/ QUOTE ]
In two (or three, is a contraction two words or one?) words: he can't.

The word of the day is getting more interesting though.

Inthacup
09-02-2003, 01:36 PM

Alllrighty, you got yourself a deal. I'll post the results here as I get them.

Cup

Adde
09-02-2003, 02:50 PM
>>> Where is this buddy list for party???

Go to the lobby, choose "Buddy list" from the "My Account" menu.

Wake up CALL
09-02-2003, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Josh

[/ QUOTE ]

Props are not shills although shills could function as props. Heavy paradox of the day.

Jim Easton
09-02-2003, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They admit to using shills and props.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know the difference between a shill and a prop?

I would be very, very surprised if they used shills. I know a person who has worked as a prop there. I have also been told the rapid growth has caused cutbacks in the props' hours.