PDA

View Full Version : Gin-Blossoms

BruceZ
09-02-2003, 02:22 AM
I just got back from my second Gin-Blossoms concert in as many months, front row both times. I hung with the band afterwards, had a picture taken with Robin Wilson, had them all sign my shirt and album, and bought some of their older hard to find stuff. They are all super nice guys, and they really show that they appreciate their fans. I bought their new DVD Just South of Nowhere, and all I can say is holy freakin' mackerel these guys are something out of this world. The DVD contains a live concert from 10 years ago, and I enjoyed that as much as I did the concerts I was at, and it has all of their music videos, including several alternative versions. They have a commentary on there too, and I can't believe how technically complex their music is. I can't understand a damn thing Jesse Valenzuela is talking about. Buy this DVD, if you don't think it's awesome I'll refund your money. No I won't.

BruceZ
09-02-2003, 03:18 PM
Here's some more info from before I bought the DVD. I've also acquired the vintage albums Dusted and Up and Crumbling since then.

GB info (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=exchange&Number=227012 &Forum=exchange&Words=Blossoms&Match=Entire%20Phra se&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=1year&Main=224982&Sea rch=true#Post227012)

whiskeytown
09-02-2003, 08:57 PM
I agree entirely...

however, I also believe the core talent of that band was locked up in Doug Hopkins - (which is probably why the songs on their 2nd album weren't as good) - they'd have been better off re-releasing a couple of the dusted tracks like "Angels Tonight" or "Keli Richards" -

Not dissing them...phenominal band...but with a very talented songwriter that self destructed before NME was released.......I've always liked Doug's work the best...

RB

BruceZ
09-02-2003, 10:45 PM
Hi Whiskey,

I think they survived the loss of Doug very well as far as their music is concerned if not personally. Congratulations I'm Sorry features what I consider to be their best song "Not Only Numb" as well as the hit "Follow You Down" and "As Long as it Matters". The hit "Allison Road" was written by Robin. "As Long as it Matters" was written by Jesse, and so was "Until I Fall Away" from the first album, and that's a song that was "too good for the radio". Jesse's obviously a great songwriter.

They did re-release many of their old songs. You have to buy New Miserable Experience deluxe version. It has both "Keli Richards" and "Angels Tonight" (great song) and a whole lot more. Look here (http://www.ginblossoms.info/discography.html). Also, their DVD has many previously unreleased songs that are just awesome, and that was without Doug.

These guys have always had a ton of talent, and they have had to use it to fight adversity and bad management from the beginning. Before they were signed and playing colleges, Rolling Stone had them as the best unsigned band in the country. They had trouble getting record deals due to band instability. That's why their first album was called Up and Crumbling, and that was from 1981! They have never been able to get their act together, literally. I'm convinced that if they were properly managed, they would be one of the elite bands of all time, not playing in free festivals. That just shows you how tough the music business is when you can't make it with that much talent. They just got rid of their producer, and they have a new record coming out by Spring, so let's hope they can finally get some legs. These guys are getting old, they are into their 40s now.

The band said on their web forum that Hey Jelousy gets it's sound from the pearl-white Gibson Les Paul that Doug played, but I can't hear a big difference with Jesse playing, and in some ways I like it better. Of course after listening to what Jesse is saying on the DVD, I've learned I don't know squat about music. I believe you're a musician right? All I know is that they make a noise that I can't get enough of, it's like I'm addicted to it.

-Bruce

whiskeytown
09-03-2003, 05:03 AM
I've got up and crumbling, as well as the 10th anniversary rerelease...

yeah...they had some good songs there by others (Mrs. Rita is the one that most comes to mind, though 29 was good too)

just, as a songwriter myself, I've always found myself drawn to Doug's writing...

there's a great tribute to him on the web as well...the unseen man behind some of those good songs..

http://www.alphalink.com.au/~ord/doughopkins/

great site..

RB

BruceZ
09-05-2003, 07:20 AM
Dusted was re-released last year on CD for the first time. I picked it up at one of their concerts, but I just realized that it is new. It was only on cassette before. It has a faster version of some songs, but I prefer the slower versions. It has "Kelli Richards" on it. Up and Crumbling was '91 not '81 like I said; I was reading a typo. I guess you have Outside Looking In?

whiskeytown
09-05-2003, 12:08 PM
nope....couldn't figure out why I needed it - only had a live version of one other B-side on there...(and the Empire Record's song) - However, I did have the two A&M releases, before I bought the 10th anniversary version..

I was looking for Dusted, and I see they've rereleased it, but from what I've heard on the 10th anniversary edition, I don't think I'd like it as much...

and I think the versions of Mrs. Rita and the other recognizable tune on "Up and Crumbling" were issued on the NME album...they're almost identical - as far as I can tell...maybe they were just remixed? - or else they were rerecorded for NME and were done exactly the same...

RB