PDA

View Full Version : TT HU against total maniac

Brian
09-02-2003, 01:56 AM
Hi guys,

1/2 game on Party. There's a complete maniac sitting a few seats to my left. He's been cursing and trying to be witty since he sat down, and has been raising with nothing frequently. He caught twice on the river, which has put a lot of the table on tilt against him (except me).

I haven't made it my goal to beat this guy, and I've been playing my normal game despite his knocking me off of a couple hands. That being said, heres the scenario:

Dealt T /images/graemlins/spade.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif UTG+1. UTG folds, I raise, maniac 3 bets it, all fold (including blinds) and I cap. 2 to the Flop for 9.5sb.

Flop: J /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif

IMO, the flop is pretty much irrelevent in this situation. I know I am going to see my hand until the showdown, regardless of what he does. That being said, I think I should've played it differently than I did. Here's what happened:

I bet the Flop, he calls. 2 to the Turn for 11.5sb (5.5bb)

Turn: 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I bet, he calls. 2 to the River for 7.5bb.

River: J /images/graemlins/club.gif

I bet, he calls.

This guy had not been the calling station type, more of the "loves to bluff raise" type. Therefore, I think that perhaps the best course of action for me is to let him take the drivers' seat and check-call my hand the whole way. (assuming of course that he bets when I check. If he checks behind me, I will bet the Turn).

This will induce him to bluff if he has nothing, and will save me bets when he does actually have the J. Like I said, I planned on seeing the showdown no matter what, so if he does have the J and raises me, I'm going to pay him off all the way.

Obviously I wouldn't normally play this hand in this fashion, but against maniacs, I thought (afterwards) that this might be the appropriate play.

It happened to work out beautifully this way, as he called me the whole way with 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. However, just because it worked out well this time, doesn't make it the right play /images/graemlins/smile.gif

As always, all comments welcome.

-Brian

JTG51
09-02-2003, 03:07 AM
IMO, the flop is pretty much irrelevent in this situation. I know I am going to see my hand until the showdown, regardless of what he does.

That's the most important thing you said. When I saw the subject line my first thought was, "He'd better see a showdown!"

I think you played it perfectly.

kiddo
09-02-2003, 03:47 AM
If he is afraid of you betting he aint a maniac. If he is a maniac he will play back at you with any pair and any overcards + bluffs.

I would have played it like you did. You could have tried for a checkraise on flop or turn, but never a check-call with J high on board. Say he will beat you 1/4, thats a reason to get as many bets as possible into the pot.

Against an maniac that dont know how to fold I sometimes try this: Bet flop, call his (bluff)raise. Checkraise turn. Bet river. I like to play maniacs headsup, its like lottery with good odds.

Homer
09-02-2003, 12:29 PM
This guy had not been the calling station type, more of the "loves to bluff raise" type. Therefore, I think that perhaps the best course of action for me is to let him take the drivers' seat and check-call my hand the whole way. (assuming of course that he bets when I check. If he checks behind me, I will bet the Turn).

If he loves to bluff-raise, why not bet and hope that he does so? Also, by checking you're giving him an opportunity to check behind with a worse hand and get a free card, which you don't want with your hand since there are a bunch of overcards that can come to allow your opponent to surpass you.

This will induce him to bluff if he has nothing, and will save me bets when he does actually have the J. Like I said, I planned on seeing the showdown no matter what, so if he does have the J and raises me, I'm going to pay him off all the way.

This sounds weak. He's a maniac and could have a wide range of hands, most of which you are ahead of. Since it sounds like he might bluff-raise you, you should bet. If he would just call you down when you bet, but would always bet when checked to, then your strategy of check-calling to showdown becomes better. Even then, however, you'll probably want to try to get multiple bets in one at least one street (i.e. - checkraise the turn).

-- Homer