PDA

View Full Version : raising preflop with speculative hands after many limpers

rjc199
09-01-2003, 10:18 PM
Is it wise/profitable to occasionally raise with speculative hands (small pairs, Axs) on the button with many limpers in front? I suppose the answer depends on the number of limpers in front, so what is the minimum number?

Mike Gallo
09-01-2003, 10:41 PM
Sure you can raise from your button with speculative hands. Just make sure you pick your spots wisely. As for the numbers of players needed, it depends on the players who limp to you. If you frequently make these types of raises you might become suspect to the limp reraise.

Example you can raise with 9 10 or J 10 suited from the button after several limpers. Most players will call an additional bet. You will win a large pot if you hit your hand. I do not know about raising with Axs or Kxs. I have witnessed players making that preflop play, however I do not find myself in spots where I feel comfortable enough to raise with Ax suited.

You can raise with a small medium pocket pair. You have postion so if you hit your set you can raise someone who bets into you, or reraise someone who might check raise. You might geta free card because of your preflop raise.

I hope this helps. Post some hands and take it from there.

~MG~