PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Talk

Zeno
09-01-2003, 08:33 PM
Short and not so sweet. Shilling pitchers a beauty for the Diamondbacks and the bullpen stinks it up in the ninth and they lose. Giants complete the sweep in Arizona. Thanks a great deal to Mr. Bonds. He is a great player. I don't want the D-backs to win the wild card (there chances are slim) as they will be horrid in a playoff set and would probably get swept.

And speaking of Wild Card race – there is a 7-team logjam in the NL with so may bad teams vying for a shot at getting into the playoffs. Will be a very interesting September for baseball.

The Mariners head down south to get revenge for the home sweep by Tampa Bay. They need to to keep up with the streaking A’s. Who’s that idiot manager down there at Tampa anyway? I heard he has a temper.

-Zeno

Rube
09-02-2003, 02:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Mariners head down south to get revenge for the home sweep by Tampa Bay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweep?!? Let's at least give them a little credit for taking one against the Lou Crew. I guess taking 2 out of 3 is equivalent to a sweep if you're the D-Rays

[ QUOTE ]
They need to to keep up with the streaking A’s.

[/ QUOTE ]

as long as they keep ahead of the bosox, I could care less about the A's.

andyfox
09-02-2003, 02:45 PM
Quite a preformace by the Phillies "closer" yesterday. I use closer in quotation marks since an ERA of 6 probably doesn't close the deal too often. But when you have Turk Wendell the ace up your sleeve, well . . . Bye, bye, Mr. Bowa.

My guess is we'll see both St. Louis and Houston in the playoffs.

I'd rather be in the playoffs and have a chance to get swept than not. One never knows in a short series. The D-Back would still have Johnson and Schilling and they both pitched well this weekend (with nothing to show for it, I know).

Revenge against Tampa Bay?

HDPM
09-02-2003, 11:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'd rather be in the playoffs and have a chance to get swept than not. One never knows in a short series. The D-Back would still have Johnson and Schilling and they both pitched well this weekend (with nothing to show for it, I know).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, nobody wants a short series looking at johnson and Schilling. No matter how lousy the rest of the team is. Anything can happen.

It really is kind of nutty to have a 162 game season then have a short series. I guess it's better for TV nad the fans in all the wild card towns, i.e. everywhere but Detroit, but I'd rather see two teams from each league play for the pennant in a best of 9 then a long series, best of 9 or 11. Won't happen. But short series kind of defeat the regular season.

Zeno
09-03-2003, 07:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather be in the playoffs and have a chance to get swept than not.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right and HDPM also pointed this out. And Rube pointed out the the D-rays did not sweep in Seattle. My mind is starting to fray.

[ QUOTE ]
Revenge against Tampa Bay?

[/ QUOTE ]

How did that get in my post? I'm lost. But, like all humans, I have an excuse. I recently reach the half-centaury mark. Dry rot is obviously starting to erode my brain tissue and insanity is not far off. Thank God for that. Please ignore all further drivel that may blemish future posts.

-Zeno