PDA

View Full Version : Just Another Hand

bruce
09-01-2003, 08:06 PM
40-80 hold-em. Game is six handed and I raise UTG with
black Tens. All fold to big blind who calls. She just moved here from the 30 game. She is a loose aggressive player but certainly not a maniac by any stretch of the imagination.

Flop comes Jc 8h 8c

Check, bet, and call. I don't like my hand, but she is the type of opponent who in addition to having an Eight or
Jack, would definetely take one off with an open ended straight or gutshot draw. She would also take one off with
an Ace whether it is a club or not regardless of kicker. So basically she can have a wide range of hands, but usually when she flops something she plays her hand agrressively unless perhaps she flopped a full house, etc.

Turn comes: Jc 8h 8c 3c

She bets. What is my play? Do I raise, call, or fold?
Is she betting a flush draw or does she have a made hand?

Even though this is a relatively small pot over the course of a few sessions the results of how we do in these small
pots can add up to a lot of money.

Results to follow. Comments aprreciated.

Bruce

mikelow
09-01-2003, 08:48 PM
At least call. Could be up against a flush but I doubt it (LAG would have bet on the flop). What about a jack? Unlikey with no flop bet--though she might have a weak jack.

With the ten of clubs, I would raise since she could have a hand like A-3, perhabs with the club ace. If a club comes on the end and she bets, you will have to pay off. If checked to you on the river, I'm inclined to check behind.

What if you're threebet on the turn? You will really have think about this one as a club may be your only hope which might not be good enough. I'm inclined to fold to a threebet.

mike l.
09-01-2003, 08:59 PM
it's close between her having Ac, having a J, and having an 8 dont you think? or would she have always given flop action w/ a J and would she rarely have an 8 or a variety of As? chances are you dont have all the answers so i think your play is to call her down. players who bet the turn into a preflop raiser who bet the flop usually dont plan on folding to a raise. yet your hand may very well be good. call her down.

Zeno
09-01-2003, 11:30 PM
An important question is how does your opponent perceive you - especially since she just moved into the game and you raised UTG.

She check called the flop and bet the turn into you. Folding is wrong in my opinion. Call at least. A raise is not a bad play - but you may have to muck if three bet so I lean towards a call. If she is bluffable and bets the river a raise is an option. If not, then call her down or check behind on the river as needed.

-Zeno

elysium
09-02-2003, 09:02 AM
hi bruce
just call and keep her bluffing at it.

andyfox
09-02-2003, 12:18 PM
If she's got an 8, it's unlikely she has a full house or a club. The Jc is on board, so with a jack she may not have a club either.

Given that the game is short-handed, she's loose-aggressive and she sees that the board contains no high cards, I'd have to call her down.