PDA

View Full Version : Monty Needs To Take One For The Team

08-26-2002, 02:55 PM
Colin Montgomerie pulled out of the NEC w/back problems, which have plagued him all year, and his Ryder Cup status.

Although Monty's RC record is impeccable[he's arguably the best player, Euro or US, since it went to full Euro participation, certainly top three at worst], *IF* by withdrawing that would allow Olazabal on the team, IMO he should do so.

However, thinking now I bet the spot would prolly go to whoever is[was] number 11 on the list at the cutoff date.

Lord only knows how many majors Monty would've won had he played them like he plays Ryder Cup. He's played all five matches the last four times & has never lost a singles match; he had two putts to beat Stewart outright at Brookline, despite widespread misreporting about Stewart's "concession". Heroic & unbelievable, considering the crowd abuse & that the cup was already lost at that point.

Frankly, on the alltime RC squad, I'd put Monty at singles anchor[I'd take him over Jack or Tiger in that spot], and would use him w/Faldo & Langer in the team matches, opposite Seve & Ollie, of course. Remember, Monty beats Stewart @ Brookline, while Tiger gets smoked by, of all people, Constantino Rocca @ Valderrama. Anchor match on an 'away' course w/the crowd screaming for blood? I'll go w/Mrs. Doubtfire.

But, Monty never sacked up in American tour events, and he sucks on Open links courses. And now, w/the rather large exception of that German tourney he lost in the playoff to Tiger, he can apparently no longer string four good rounds together.

Prediction: When Monty's inducted into the HOF[or becomes RC Cap'n, FTM], he'll give lots of gracious, poignant speeches and interviews, full of "If I had it to do over"s, etc.