PDA

View Full Version : M&S chart of playing hands/position/raise

05-03-2002, 12:08 PM
I am reading through HEPFAP and there is so much good info, but I was wondering if there is a chart that lists the groups along with position play, along with raise, check, reraise fold recommendations.

thanks,

dave

05-03-2002, 08:54 PM

05-03-2002, 09:07 PM
I'm not aware of a simple chart. However, I think this is a good thing.

The hand rankings are merely a guide. And a fairly liquid guide at that. Game conditions dictate elimination or addition of whole groups of hands, or simply of certain hands inside groups.

For example. While the medium and low pairs are all in separate groups, the nature of the game might dictate that you play all pairs, but few suited connectors. So you might be mucking some group 4 hands, but playing others in group 7.

The important thing, as the book states, is to understand the underlying concepts that dictate when and where to play each hand.

Simply memorizing a chart isn't going to help that underlying understanding. The hand rankings are a great place to start, but they are only the beginning.

My girlfriend is learning to play. Lou Krieger's 2nd book has a color chart on the back cover listing hands and in what position they are playable. I won't let her look at it. I think it is damaging to simply memorize "this hand in this position"

It's all about what hands play well in what *situation*. Situation is much more broad than simply your position. Learn to recognize the situations. Each situation has its own unique hand ranking.

Creating your own chart by reading and rereading HPFAP might be useful, but note how S&M are careful to mention how the volume and types of hands you play need to change in relation to the game you are in. They do a very good job of outlining this.

05-05-2002, 02:19 AM
Times have changed. It is my pleasure to announce that the term "S&M" is now obsolete. The politically correct term is now "M,s,&z."

05-05-2002, 02:21 AM
Just to add on, there is no chart that tells you how to play. What there is is a chart plus 35 or so pages that tell you how to proceed on the first two cards. If the chart was not there, it would have required approximately twice as many pages and would have been more difficult to follow.

05-05-2002, 05:24 PM

05-05-2002, 09:26 PM
I made a pretty extensive chart when I was first playing. I went through the starting hands and position section of HPFAP21 MANY times to create this chart. Actually, I read it so many times to ensure that the "basics" of the chart were accurate, that when I was done, I no longer needed it /images/smile.gif . The other posters are correct (and much better than I) that if you make a chart and follow it, you will be missing out on the whole point of the book. I recommend that you create your own chart by reading those chapters many times. Check, check, recheck, and check again to ensure that your chart is accurate - then throw it away, you wont need it. I would give you this chart, however you would miss out a very important part of learning for yourself. I’d like to add that experience has no substitute.

05-07-2002, 12:09 PM
first off, being catholic, it is hard for me to type S&M without feeling guilty, thus I reversed and was able to keep my mind pure.

second,

I was trying to get a starting point for the learning process. I see that when to play is going to shift through out the game based on position, players and so-on. I learn from memorizing charts and graphs. I figured if there were a basic chart, I could personalize it and conceptualize it.

Thanks to all for their input, and I will take the advice and keep reading and rereading the passages until they sink in. Until then, if I ever play against any of you, enjoy spending my hard earned cash. : )

05-07-2002, 05:17 PM
email me at gary84087@yahoo.com

05-15-2002, 02:09 PM
The "groups" as listed in HPFAP are more closely related to how the various hands would rank against each other if you played them all-in--that is, no betting after the flop--than to anything else. No one plays that way, so the S/M group concept is not really very useful except as an extremely broad rating of relative hand strength.