PDA

View Full Version : Good or bad laydown?

Crazy Clown
08-31-2003, 05:27 PM
This happened to me last night playing 1/2 on Empire.

I limp w/ TT in mid position, 5 people see the flop for a bet each. There is one early and one late position, both blinds are in.

The flop is 9 3 5, two diamonds. Its checked to me, I bet and get called by early and late. Three to the flop.

The turn is a 2 of diamonds making a possible straight and flush. Now early position bets into me. I figure that it'll cost me atleast 2 BB to see the showdown, maybe more if late position raises it. Besides, I got a "feeling." So, I fold.

The river is another 2 and both players check.

Early position had AdQh, he semibluffed the turn, and late position had a pair of 9's and took it down. It obviously was a bad laydown but I want to know who thinks I made the right decision here?

Homer
08-31-2003, 05:41 PM
I limp w/ TT in mid position, 5 people see the flop for a bet each. There is one early and one late position, both blinds are in.

So an EP player limped, then you limped in MP with TT? You should definitely be raising here.

The turn is a 2 of diamonds making a possible straight and flush. Now early position bets into me. I figure that it'll cost me atleast 2 BB to see the showdown, maybe more if late position raises it. Besides, I got a "feeling." So, I fold.

Hmmmmm...the flop comes 935 with 2 diamonds, you bet and are called by two opponents. Now a 2d comes on the turn and EP bets into you. Immediately you should think semi-bluff. Why would someone with the flush bet into you? Wouldn't he try to checkraise you and trap the third player in the middle? I would raise and take it from there.

BTW, was the 9 a non-diamond? If so, EP could be betting with top-pair and a four-flush.

-- Homer

lil'
08-31-2003, 06:09 PM
Pocket tens are a good hand, but you treated them like they were worthless. You limped in with it, then fold your overpair at the first sign of resistance.

Raise pre-flop and keep betting after that. Don't fold overpairs without a very good reason. You cost yourself a lot here.

brian0729
08-31-2003, 06:18 PM
I couldnt lay this down unless the four flush or four str8 hit the board on the river. The hands that went to the showdown are exactly the reason why.

AceHigh
08-31-2003, 09:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Now early position bets into me. I figure that it'll cost me atleast 2 BB to see the showdown, maybe more if late position raises it. Besides, I got a "feeling." So, I fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, so since it will cost you 2 bets to see the showdown you should raise. You need to protect your hand and knock out the button if he has something like just overcards. Plus this charges the draw extra if he is semi-bluffing with a hand like Adxo.

Then you can just check it down on the river.

Bob T.
09-01-2003, 12:39 AM
If your opponents had checked to you, would you have bet? I hope so, so if they had made a real hand, they probably should have attempted a checkraise. This play smells of semibluff, so you should probably raise at this point.

Ian M.
09-01-2003, 01:29 AM
How should he play if reraised? What if the turn was an overcard?

just curious, because I'm faced with these situations all the time and I'm interested in how others play them...

Bob T.
09-01-2003, 01:36 AM
I think that he can lay down to a reraise. His opponent isn't showing much fear, and with most players, going three bets on the turn with a possible flush on the board, means that they can beat one pair.

If the overcard comes out on the turn, go ahead and bet, you could very well be still ahead, and after you see your opponents reaction, you could either be stacking chips, or maybe have a better understanding of how he plays.

Ed Miller
09-01-2003, 07:15 AM
Hi Crazy Clown... I met you at the Bellagio in April, right?

Anyway, I don't like the way you played this hand. I don't like limping with TT from MP... it is a very strong hand... you need to be getting money in the pot with this hand.

Your turn fold is quite bad. You should be raising there. That "bet from nowhere" is often a bluff or a weak made hand... I see it all the time nowadays. Your opponent checks to the raiser on the flop and calls your bet with his sorry excuse for a holding. Then on the turn, he decides that you have to have AK and must have missed, so he bets his sorry excuse for a holding (especially if it improved to a reasonable excuse for a holding). You can't be folding to these bets. The real deal will, more often than not, checkraise you. Betting out is usually nonsense, unless it comes from a passive player who wouldn't checkraise or from a tough player.