PDA

View Full Version : We both have AA, how to proceed?

Acesover8s
08-31-2003, 02:37 PM
2-6 spread limit stud, waiting for a holdem game. Playing tight since I don't know stud that well. There is no ante on this game.

A 3 brings it in for 2$. 2 callers and I make it $8 to go with (A2)A, rainbow. Next player cold calls with an Ace showing. I am 99% sure he has the case Ace in the hole. All others fold.

On 4th we both catch offsuit Queens.

How should I play this hand since there is no way that I'm ahead?

kelvin474
09-01-2003, 12:44 PM
if he has the other Ace, you are either slightly ahead (if he has a 3 kicker), to winning about a quarter of the time (if he has a buried two-flush and a live king kicker). If, for example, he has a 7-kicker, you win 47 pct of the time, with the cards you've said are out.

So you're not folding - you've probably got a check/call to the river unless it develops real scary.

What had you seen this player do before that made you so sure that among his two downcards were one of 45 you hadn't seen? no big 3-flush? no (KK) in the hole? these impossible? You're ahead of hands like that, so I think you should bet $6 on 4th, to start.

MRBAA
09-01-2003, 02:49 PM
It's more probable he doesn't have aces since you do. I'd bet fourth and fifth, then check call if I don't make a second pair, keep betting if I do (assuming his board doesn't get scary and he doesn't raise you).

7stud
09-01-2003, 11:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Next player cold calls with an Ace showing. I am 99% sure he has the case Ace in the hole. All others fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no way you can be sure of that read there. In fact, in my opinion it is dead wrong: I think the player's most likely holding is a three flush. If the player was holding a pair of aces, he would have re-raised to drive out the limpers. The fact that he called is more indicative of a three flush.

You should have bet your hand all the way to 7th street unless something scary developed in your opponents hand, like two more cards of the same suit as the door card.

patrick dicaprio
09-02-2003, 12:50 PM
how can you be 99% sure? it is very unlikely that he has the case ace. i would play the hand like i was ahead and would bet the whole way. there are any hands he could have here besides aces. note that most layers with aces would threebet here rather than cold call.

Pat

Andy B
09-03-2003, 12:34 PM
Split Aces is about the last thing I put him on when he cold-calls. He probably has a pocket pair or a three-flush. He could have some other collection of cards if he can't play (which wouldn't be too surprising at $2-6). I'd bet my hand through sixth street unless his board develops and my hand doesn't.

Acesover8s
09-03-2003, 01:03 PM
Perhaps I should have prefaced by saying that he was the only player at the table tighter than me, although I was being quite aggressive. When I raised, the way he hemmed and hawed and looked at my hand, he looked what he wanted to reraise, but couldn't imagine throwing $14 real dollars out there.

On fourth we both catch Q's. I bet and he calls. On fifth we both catch 5s. I bet and he calls. On 6th he catches a Ten and I catch a 3. He's high and bets, I think about raising for free showdown unless I improve, but I just call. River, I catch nothing, we both check. He shows Aces up, catching a ten on the river (not that he needed it).

7stud
09-03-2003, 03:02 PM
So, you both had Aces? It's always better to bet rather than check and call. You shouldn't fold your aces, and you didn't have to put in any extra bets, so what are you proposing? That because you were 99% sure he had Aces too that you should have folded? I have a question for you: if you opponent had accidently revealed his pair of Aces, so that you were 100% sure he had aces, should you have folded?

In addition, if you will only bet an Ace up when you have Aces, so your opponents know you have Aces when you bet, you aren't playing well.

[ QUOTE ]
I think about raising for free showdown unless I improve, but I just call.

[/ QUOTE ]

You were 99% sure he had aces and you considered that?