PDA

View Full Version : Nature Writing Recommendations (long)

08-24-2002, 08:36 AM
Lance's post below, and his line that the peaks in the rain had "a muted, stately beauty of their own"--great, Lance, most people would just bitch about the rain--reminded me of some of the nature writing I've read over the years. Here's a few suggestions.

Begin in Maine. Although not exactly "nature writing," E.B. White's One Man's Meat, a collection of essays about his time living away from New York City, is a joy. Find, if you haven't read it, his essay "Once More to the Lake"; it may be the best essay ever written.

Move down the coast and read Walden again or read it for the first time. Unfortunately, too many people think it's a simplistic collection of aphorisms--march to a different drummer sort of thing--but it's America's great sacred work, and it's wildy funny, too. My favorite line: "I was determined to know beans." Another book from Thoreau is Cape Cod, which details his walking trip along the coastline of the Cape.

Further south, Virginia provides the setting for Annie Dillard's Pilgrim at Tinker Creek. This one of the few classics of nature writing included in the Modern Library's 100 greatest works of non-fiction.

Next, if you ever go to Disney, bring along Ill Nature by essayist and novelist Joy Williams, a writer who consciously employs a very confrontational, acerbic style. No writer I can think of attacks the reader with such force. Although not a nature writer, Carl Hiassen, writer of detective novels and reporter, enjoys attacking Disney more than anyone. And, his books are laugh out loud funny.

For the trip inland, take along two books of essays, The Star Thrower by Loren Eisley and Lives of the Cell by Lewis Thomas.

Next, Wisconsin. Why is this book so good? Ask yourself when you finish A Sand County Almanac by Also Leopold, again, one of the true classics of American nature writing.

Wyoming, next, for Gretel Erhlich's The Solitude of Open Spaces. Erhlich is a remarkable writer of clear vision and beautiful prose. Her description of a butterfly: "It looked like a cathedral taking flight." Entire books are worth reading for lines like this one.

Head to Utah. Begin with Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey. I hate to call Abbey an iconoclast because iconoclasm distinguishes all these writers, but Abbey's voice is a powerful one. Note the very strong connection between Abbey and Thoreau. Add Refuge by Terry Tempest Wiiliams, which is both a look at The Great Salt Lake and the history of her family.

For the trip far to the north, you might take along books of essays by John McPhee and Edward Hoagland. It really doesn't matter which ones; both are fine writers on a variety of subjects. Hardcore environmetalists may also want to pack Bill McKibben's The End of Nature, which I haven't read, but I have read many of his essays and enjoy his style.

Finally, perhaps my favorite is Arctic Dreams: Memory and Desire in a Northern Landscape by Barry Lopez. I can't quite believe that anyone wouldn't love this book. I gave it to a co-worker who has read it at least nine times, three times in the first week she had it. Knowing I wasn't going to get it back, I gave up and bought her a copy. It's that good. I've also included the subtitle with this book because, in essence, the conceptions of memory and desire dominate nature writing in general. But you've got to read some to know it.

John

P.S. I'm sorry, but I can't leave out the quirky The Snow Leopard by Peter Matthiessen, and I've left out much.

08-24-2002, 12:19 PM
want know literature???suggest w.f.(if you ain't pre-judge-diced....

"i don't care much for facts,and not much interested in them, you can't stand a fact up, you've got to prop it up, and when you move to one side a little and look at it from that angle, it's not thick enuf to cast a shadow in that direction....."

william faulkner...

gl..i don't want to know the odds...lol

08-24-2002, 08:47 PM
Excellent post. I appreciate your book review/recommenation posts.

Have you read any Wendell Berry?

08-24-2002, 10:34 PM
I would like to propose any book by John Mcphee. I have yet to find a bad one, but will recommend The Control of Nature to any Californians or Cajuns out there. For that matter, I recommend it to any Ice Landers who happen to be lurking. Sleep well...

08-25-2002, 01:39 AM
Hey, where's our Wilkinson review?

08-25-2002, 07:56 AM
After reading a brief review, I wanted to order [The Outermost House] a couple of years ago, but I think it was out temporarily out of stock or something.

Some famous author whom I respected considerably (forget who now) wrote that John Muir was great, but I haven't read him yet.

In high school I found a little book which was a collection of passages from Thoreau's journals. It was arranged (but not rearranged) as poetry (the sentences were just put in lines), and it did pretty well as that. I also used to have a book of some of the journals which I enjoyed from time to time.

08-25-2002, 11:06 AM
Ehrlich's book is entitled The Solace of Open Spaces.

08-25-2002, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the recommendations. I haven't read a single book on that list other than Walden, and that was 10 years ago. That beans line is hilarious.

I always have mixed feelings about reading lists like these. One one hand, I can't get enough good recommendations. I read a lot, and it's heartening to know that there is still a lot of great stuff out there to discover. On the other hand, it depresses me that there is so much that I haven't read despite my best efforts to the contrary. I can't imagine I'll ever have enough time to get through everything that I'd like to.

Sounds like the setup for that Twilight Zone episode with Burgess Meredith.

08-26-2002, 08:51 PM
I've only skimmed the book and read the first chapter. My initial impresssion is favorable. The subject matter, reforming 19th century land use policy and law may be a dull subject but he gives historical background and uses contemporary examples. In the first chapter it was Pyramid Lake, Nevada and the Salmon River in Idaho. I was somewhat familiar with both so I felt more engaged.

One of my favorite Western writers wrote "If a single book has to guide us to an understanding of complex Western public-domain states, I know of no better one than this" Wallace Stegner.

I plan on packing this book along on my upcoming fishing trip. Hope to find some time in camp to read a bit more.