PDA

View Full Version : Nut straight on board

memphis
08-31-2003, 12:02 AM
Pacific poker 1/2 game
Nut straight on the board, no flush possibility
There are 4 of us left in the hand. The first to act bets,
everyone calls and we split the pot. One of the other players goes off on the bettor about how that was the stupidest play he had ever seen because all he had done was increase the rake. I personally didn't think it was that bad of a play. If one person wasn't paying attention and folded, then it was worthwhile.

What do you all think?

rjc199
08-31-2003, 12:09 AM
I agree that it was right to bet in that situation and see if somebody wasn't paying attention and folded. The rake is only increased by a small percentage, so the guy is just looking for something to complain about.

I think that I have seen somebody fold in this same situation before, but I'm not 100% sure.

baggins
08-31-2003, 03:31 AM
i've seen people fold here. i'd bet and raise every time. if there is a bet to you, and players after you who still haven't called the bet, a raise could really give them pause. even make them fold if they're not paying attention. the rake increase is not that much, considering the possibility that someone folds here. profit in poker is made from giving your opponents a chance to make mistakes against you. this certainly applies here.

Tosh
08-31-2003, 02:06 PM
Betting and raising here makes you look like an a$$ and I've seen it happen where someone does it and the people he bet into make it their goal to beat him for the rest of the session. There is probably a less than 1/100 chance of someone folding so its normally not worth it.

MrDannimal
08-31-2003, 03:48 PM
I totally disagree. By raising and setting those people on tilt, they're off their game because they're trying to "beat" this guy the rest of the session. The fact that 1 in 100 times you increase your share of the pot by making someone fold is exatly what makes it worth it, IMO.

Ian M.
08-31-2003, 03:48 PM
After raising you could say something "Oops, I guess everyone has that straight". It might work to your advantage if everyone thinks you're a buffoon and not an a$$. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Homer
08-31-2003, 05:12 PM
It's fine, even moreso if the max rake had already been taken. What I don't understand is why the second player didn't raise.

-- Homer

Homer
08-31-2003, 05:14 PM
Betting and raising here makes you look like an a$$ and I've seen it happen where someone does it and the people he bet into make it their goal to beat him for the rest of the session.

This sounds like an argument for betting/raising, not for calling.

There is probably a less than 1/100 chance of someone folding so its normally not worth it.

FWIW, in my experience opponents will fold much more often than this, especially if it's two bets to them and they aren't playing close attention. YMMV.

-- Homer

TobDog
08-31-2003, 05:17 PM
B&M I have seen this capped as a standard procedure, online, I dont remember seeing it all that often, what is the rake difference? $.25? Fire away, if the other players believe your strategy is not to win money then they are wrong( you win extra $ when someone is not paying attention throws a hand away, right?)

Homer
08-31-2003, 05:21 PM
This got me thinking...I love it when I have something like 8c7c and the board comes TsJcAcQhKc. I know I'm about to earn mucho big bets from people calling a cap hoping to chop. It's only happened to me once or twice, but god does it feel good.

-- Homer

MrDannimal
08-31-2003, 08:04 PM
Until someone holding xTc steals your glory. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Homer
08-31-2003, 09:10 PM
Until someone holding xTc steals your glory.

Unless x is the Qc, all glory shall remain with me.

-- Homer

Ed Miller
09-01-2003, 07:19 AM
One of the other players goes off on the bettor...

This player is almost invariably an ignoramous.

MrDannimal
09-01-2003, 12:05 PM
D'oh. I read that like 8 times, and was sure that was the Qc on the board.