PDA

View Full Version : Warren Zevon's new CD - The Wind

Zeno
08-30-2003, 01:40 PM
Maybe his new CD has already been hyped by the usually hypsters, but it is very good. I thought Mr. Zevon was dying of cancer but perhaps I am mistaken on this.

Anyway, this is an excellent CD - Gritty and raw in the proper tones and proportions. Some wonderful ballads are mixed with country sound and rock tracks, and a very good blues tune with Joe Walsh doing some racy slide guitar work. This is the best album Warren Zevon has ever produced. All star cast also. Beats the Excitable Boy album.

Run down and get one, it is well worth it.

-Zeno

clovenhoof
08-30-2003, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought Mr. Zevon was dying of cancer but perhaps I am mistaken on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not mistaken. (I thought the album's content was basically obsessed with death and dying?)

'hoof

John Feeney
09-01-2003, 01:46 AM
Zevon was the topic an NPR piece the other day. He was diagnosed with some form of terminal cancer, and was told he had about two months to live. After giving it some thought he decided to spend the time he had left recording a final album. Six months later, it turns out he's still alive and around for its release. His condition is now very poor, but it's nice that he's here to see the great reception this album is getting. I've only heard bits of it, but from what I hear Zeno's review is right on.

As I understand it, it's true to say that much of the album deals with death and dying. And that's a good thing. I imagine it does so with the kind of palpable immediacy found in some of the most powerful art.

Zeno
09-01-2003, 09:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
As I understand it, it's true to say that much of the album deals with death and dying. And that's a good thing. I imagine it does so with the kind of palpable immediacy found in some of the most powerful art.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right on.

The album does deal with "death and dying" but in a way that is really a celebration of life. All the songs are original except one, an excellent rendition of Dylan's ‘Knockin' on Heaven's Door’. And not all the tracks deal with death etc. There are love ballads, a great haunting prison song (Prison Grove), and a rocking "lets party for the rest of the night" zinger. Zevon is stepping into the void with Class.

-Zeno

Cyrus
09-09-2003, 01:10 AM
Some days I feel like my shadow's casting me
Some days the sun don't shine
Sometimes I wonder what tomorrow's gonna bring
When I think about my dirty life and times

Singer Composer Warren Zevon Dies At 56 (http://www.vh1.com/news/articles/1477937/20030908/zevon_warren.jhtml?headlines=true)

Zeno
09-09-2003, 01:17 AM
Nice touch, Cyrus.

-Zeno