PDA

View Full Version : Too predicatable with my raises?

rkiray
08-29-2003, 07:57 PM
Several different 2/4 and 3/6 Paradise games today (the 5/10 games looked too tough, and the 2/4s were juicy). I'm beginning to wonder if my preflop raising is too predictable. 5 times today I had loose aggressive players (LAGs) try to run total bluffs on every street after I had raised preflop. These plays were made by three seperate players, all who had played several hundred hands against me, and while I think they are too loose and aggressive, they arn't maniacs. They are thinking players who I assume keep notes (I had plenty of notes on all of them).

Three times I raised with AK (one was suited), once with AQo, and once with AA. I won all five hands. A couple of example hands. I raised with many other hands, these are just the ones where I caught opponents running total bluffs against me.

I raise UTG AKo, LAG in ep cold calls, MP reraises, everyone else folds. Flop comes 6 high. I bet, LAG raises, MP folds. Rags all the way, LAG bets turn and river, I call. He shows J7o for J high. For the last three months I had been much more caustious post flop with AKo and AQo. If I don't hit I usually bet once on flop and then I'm conservative later. This guy had seemed to be trying to run me over so I decided to make a stand this time. He left the table a couple of hands later.

Since this worked so well, I decided to call a bit more against LAGs in this situation. It worked so well today I think I need to do some rethinking here. Another example hand. A EP limps, I'm in mp with AKs and raise, co reraises, everyone (including EP) folds but me. I call. Flop is T high. I bet, co raises. He bets and I call on turn and river, and I win when I out kick him. He had A9o. Other three hands were similar. In general I think being careful post flop with AK or AQ and missing is probably good. But maybe I need to stick with them longer against LAGs who know me. I admit I'm on a small losing streak for the last three weeks, so that is encouraging me to do some rethinking.