PDA

View Full Version : i'm beat, but why won't they bet or raise???

ninja please
08-29-2003, 06:13 PM
.5/1 game on party/empire.

this was at the end of my first session in a long time to see the complete disappearance of my stack. embarrassingly, also the first session where i came across a 2+2er i recognized (and who recognized me), though he wasn't playing, just witnessing my downfall...

i'm dealt Jd Jh on the button.
UTG limps. MP raises, LP calls 2 cold, i 3-bet. SB folds, BB calls. all others call.

flop: Ad Kd 4c

ugh, could there be a worse flop for JJ? however, it's checked to me which gives me a glimmer of hope. i bet, all 4 call. i'm pretty sure that at least one of them has me beat. i'm assuming there's an Ax out there too scared to raise.

turn: 8h
i really would have liked to see a J, Q, T or a least a diamond here. but it's checked to me again so i bet. definitely unsure about this bet. however, only the BB calls. at least the PF raiser is out, but i'm still fairly sure i'm behind.

river: 2s
checked to me. i figure my only hope of winning is to drive out a K or Ax little with a final bet, though in hindsight if they'd come all this way with such a weak hand, they're probably not going to fold here.

caller shows down Kh Td. they must have made a really good read on me for QQ or JJ, because there're not really other hands that you'll see 3 bet pre-flop that they could be beating. oh well, that's party low limits for you.

anyhow, should i have thrown this away when i saw the flop, even with the check-calling? do i check through? when can i get away from a hand like this when the people who have me beat refuse to bet or raise?

felson
08-29-2003, 06:17 PM
Betting the flop is good. If the board weren't 2-suited, you could check here and see what happens on the turn. But I bet here 95% of the time.

I would consider checking the turn, but betting is not terrible. I would definitely check on the river though. Ax and Kx did not stick around so that they could make a tough fold on 5th street. Just cross your fingers, check, and hope he was on a diamond draw.

CMangano
08-29-2003, 06:20 PM
Your opponent didn't make any read. His read was probably "I sure hope he doesn't have an A." This is the type of opponent I love, as he will call you down everytime an A hits and he has a pair (which means he will pay you off when you have the A).

Anyways, I think the flop bet is ok, but I would definitely check the turn. No reason to think you are ahead at this point. If it was one bet to me on the river I would make the crying call. Pot's too big and there are too many bluffers on Party to fold, especially if you show weakness on the turn.

pufferfish
08-29-2003, 06:52 PM
they must have made a really good read on me for QQ or JJ, because there're not really other hands that you'll see 3 bet pre-flop that they could be beating. oh well, that's party low limits for you.

You may be giving too much credit here. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

anyhow, should i have thrown this away when i saw the flop, even with the check-calling? do i check through? when can i get away from a hand like this when the people who have me beat refuse to bet or raise?

I think I’d bet the flop to give people a chance to fold. You did that and got four callers. You gotta figure and Ace or King is out there.

With the 8h on the turn I think I’d check it through.

On the river, I wouldn’t overcall a bet. But, say the BB “finally” bets out and it’s folded to me – I would probably call.

TC,
pf