PDA

View Full Version : Top pair mediocre kicker

rjc199
08-29-2003, 03:18 PM
This is a hand that I think I played well, but only because I caught my 4 outer on the turn. I'd like some help in general with this sort of hand.

I get A5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif on the button

2 limpers to me and I limp. This is probably a bad limp because I'm not confident I have enough people along to make drawing to a flush profitable. In this case I banked on the blinds limping along (they did). How many limpers do I need to make this a profitable call long term?

4 see the flop

Flop [ 6 A 8 ] rainbow (no diamonds)

It is checked to me and I have a no-brainer bet, they all call. Question: in the case that somebody bets ahead of me what do I do? My kicker is weak, so I'm probably behind any Ace. But people will bet with a straight draw or bottom pair on this type of board, so I'm never really sure I'm behind. I can't fold because that is weak-tight. Do I check-call the rest of the way or do I raise to get information? How do I play the rest of the way?

Turn [ 5 ]

Hit my kicker, it's checked to me and the rest is academic. Another Ace hits on the river and I'm called down by a guy with A7o.

Jezebel
08-29-2003, 03:36 PM
Generally, when I hit top pair/weak kicker against a large field, I do whatever I can to thin the field. If in EP I'll check hoping for a bet from the button so I can checkraise and make the rest call 2 cold. If I'm in late position I'll raise if a bet comes from my close right. If checked to in LP I'll bet. I almost never just call in this situation. Raise, Bet or Fold.