PDA

View Full Version : The turn check-raise bluff works at LL?

rjc199
08-29-2003, 02:56 PM
This was a bold move that probably should have cost me money (especially when I did it to a player who I have a note on that says "the ultimate calling station" UCS). But I have seen him lay down way too many hands on the river and turn.

Party 0.5/1, loose-passive

I'm in the BB with AQo. 3 MP callers and I raise. They all call. 4 see the flop for 2 small bets each.

Flop [ 4, 9, 3 ] rainbow

No help here, but if I bet I can figure them to lay down since I have a tight-aggressive image (if they are paying attention). They all fold except the UCS.

Turn [ 7 ]

I check here, I probaby should have bet but I figured he would still call. I will try a check-raise bluff because players of his callibre (weak-passive) are deathly afraid of the check-raise. He thinks for 20 seconds and decides to bet (it must tear a calling station to pieces to show some sort of aggression). I raise and he thinks for 20 seconds and calls (Would you lay down already!!)

River [ J ]

I bet into him as quick as possible and he finally lays down. Does anybody actually approve of this move, or something similar?