PDA

View Full Version : NLHE $30 + $3, 500+ players - key hands

Magician
08-29-2003, 07:27 AM
Hand No. 1

I've got 13,900 chips. Blinds are 300/600 with antes of 50.

I've got 44 in cutoff - 1. Folded to me.

Cutoff has 6,500 chips. Button has 4,100 chips. SB has 4,900 and BB has 4,100 chips after posting their blinds.

I raise to 2,000 hoping to take the blinds right there.

Cutoff folds. Button moves in (2,100 more for me to call). SB folds. BB folds.

I call - button flips over 55 and I lose a considerable piece of my stack.

Questions:

a) Should I have raised more? I probably would have raised more if not for the cutoff who had 6K and I was a bit fearful. The cutoff I had seen before and I knew him to be quite aggressive - and I didn't know if I could stand a re-raise from him.

Would it be brilliant or stupid to raise to 6K and put all 4 of them to the big decision right there?

b) If I had been in the cutoff, with 3 stacks to act ahead of me with about 4-5K each - would the correct play have been to raise to 5K - putting each of them to the decision for all their chips and making them lay down hands such as medium pairs and overcards which I would only be a slight favorite over in a showdown?

c) Am I right to call the additional 2,100 when the button moves in? After all, I am either just a small favorite or a big dog - but the pot was big by then and I was thinking he might just be desperate and was likely to flip over just overcards (I hadn't seen him before).

Hand No. 2

Blinds are 400/800 with antes of 50.

My stack is down to 5,700 chips and I'm on the bubble (54 paid, 55 left).

I'm dealt JJ in UTG + 1. UTG folds.

I raise to 2,500. UTG + 2 (who has about 7K chips) moves in. Folded back to me.

I check the info bar and am happy to find that one guy has busted out putting me just in the money. It costs my remaining 3,200 to call.

I call and UTG + 2 flips over KK and I bust out.

In this instance, it wouldn't have made any difference - but considering my stack size and such - should I have moved in with the JJ instead of raising to 2,500 initially?

Also, could any of you guys have laid down the JJ to the re-raise in that situation or is it a case of having to call?

Hand No. 3

I've got 3,550 chips. Blinds are 100/200 with no antes.

I'm dealt KK UTG. I limp in hoping for a raise behind me.

UTG + 2 and cutoff call. SB moves in with his short stack of 2,100.

UTG + 2 has 4,400 chips left. Cutoff has 800 chips left.

I move in wanting to isolate. UTG + 2 and cutoff both fold, SB flips over AKs, and my KK holds up.

Questions:

a) If say both UTG + 2 and cutoff had 4K chips (i.e. the cutoff doesn't get to see cards after the flop for free if he calls all in because of his short stack) would it be correct to just flat call the SB's raise, hope either or both UTG + 2 and cutoff call, and resolve to shove in the rest of my stack on the flop?

b) What if it's just one player behind me with about 4K chips. Again, would it be correct to just flat call the SB's raise, hope the guy behind me calls, then shove in the rest of my stack on the flop?

Kurn, son of Mogh
08-29-2003, 08:35 AM
Hand #1: If you will rarely fold the 44 to an all-in reraise then, if you choose to play, your best course of action is to put them all on a decision for all their chips. With this size stack and smaller stacks behind me, I'm content to fold small pairs. I'd much rather make this play with Ax.

Hand #2: This is all-in or fold territory. JJ in EP on the bubble is absolutely nauseating /images/graemlins/confused.gif Like an earlier thread, this is the place where knowing every stack size left in the tournament is crucial. I'd guess there were 10 or 12 smaller stacks than yours. If that's the case, especially if there are a few stacks of 2,000 or less, this is an easy fold.

Hand #3: You played it fine. Whether you push in or flat call won't change what the C/O does, and the player on your left still has to call almost half his stack if you flat call so I don't think there are many hands he'd fold to the all-in that he wouldn't fold to the bet that's out there now. There's a good chunk of chips in the pot and I'd rather err on the side of keeping other callers out of the pot.