PDA

View Full Version : Was I too aggressive and what did they have ?

Tosh
08-29-2003, 06:40 AM
I am in the big blind and get K /images/graemlins/heart.gifT /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. 5 limp and the SB completes. Flop is K /images/graemlins/spade.gifT /images/graemlins/spade.gif4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. I bet, someone folds, 1 call and 2 more folds. Then the button raises. SB folds and I reraise, both call. Turn is 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, I bet both call. River is J /images/graemlins/club.gif, I bet both call.

Ok so what do you put them on and did I play it badly ?

Barry
08-29-2003, 09:46 AM
Well at least you know that neither of them have the nut flush!

I think that your 3 bet on the flop was fine, if the button has the A /images/graemlins/spade.gif, make him pay to draw to his flush. When you're not raised on the turn you may still be ahead.

I think that the river bet decision is interesting. If they were drawing to a flush and it doesn't get there, they're not going to call. Baby flushes are what you need to be worried about, and the person that called 2 cold on the flop may be the one to have it, also if someone flopped a set, they would play it the same way, but then again if this is Party K's J's and T's will call also. In the end, for me it would depend on how I felt about my opponents. If I respected them, I would tend to check, if not, fire away.

JoeU
08-29-2003, 10:21 AM
I think someone here has the A /images/graemlins/spade.gif, possibly A /images/graemlins/spade.gifT. I also think the other person may have K and for some reason, called you down. I'm always concerned when someone is calling bets and raises all the way to the river. The calling station may have flopped a baby flush.

I think you win the hand.

Joe

MrDannimal
08-29-2003, 10:34 AM
I agree that someone as the A /images/graemlins/spade.gif, is it possible that the other one has the J /images/graemlins/spade.gif and maybe picked up two pair on the river (JsTx)?

Tosh
08-29-2003, 12:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well at least you know that neither of them have the nut flush!

[/ QUOTE ]

I had someone check call me the whole way once with an ace high flush because 'I might have had a straight flush'. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

This hand I tend to think my river bet was probably dubious. However, I reckon enough people will call me down with a king or random pair to make it worthwhile.

Tosh
08-30-2003, 03:34 AM
The button had 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif and the caller mucks.

On reflection I definitely wonder if I should be betting that river.

Ed Miller
08-30-2003, 06:47 AM
Your river bet is fine... you need to be betting more hands for value when you are out of position. The reason is that when you check on the end with a marginal hand out of position, you allow your opponent to bet the hands that beat yours and check the hands that don't (but that your opponent would have called your bet with). So you generally will lose the same bet when you are behind, but you will win bets when you are ahead that you won't win if you check.

Notice, only the most timid of opponents would not bet their flush on the river when you check. There is no way for you to avoid losing a bet on the river. This is an important concept (it is also outlined in TOP in more depth). Make sure you understand it.

elysium
08-30-2003, 08:04 AM
hi tosh
played perfectly. looks like a small flush, AJ, QJ with Q and A of suit. other holdings are possible like QQ or middle pair. you're about 70% favorite when called. by the way, if you had a bluffer in there, on your immediate left of course, then check. if he's in LP, a check is a little more dicey unless the MP is passive. usually best to bet out just like you did.

elysium
08-30-2003, 08:07 AM
hi tosh
just read results. yeah, i was concerned about that, but you're still better off betting. remember, if the button bets, you'll call. the only time not to bet here is when inducing a bluff. not very often.

Homer
08-30-2003, 01:32 PM
You played it perfectly.

Who knows what they have -- K4, T4, Kx, As4, AsT, etc. All I know is that most of the time you're going to bet and be called by worse hands, so bet. And if you check and someone else bets, you can't lay your hand down, so you might as well bet it yourself.

-- Homer

Homer
08-30-2003, 01:34 PM
The button had 98s and the caller mucks.

On reflection I definitely wonder if I should be betting that river.

Did the button even raise the river?

Look at it this way, if you checked the button would have bet and you would have called. By betting you put in the same amount of bets, but win more because not only will the button call with his flushes, but also with a bunch of other crap that he wouldn't bet with himself.

-- Homer

Tosh
08-30-2003, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you allow your opponent to bet the hands that beat yours and check the hands that don't

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the sentence I was looking for to justify the bet.

Tosh
08-30-2003, 02:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Did the button even raise the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, popped me on the flop and then called me down, presumably thinking I had the nuts.