PDA

View Full Version : Knowing nothing about opponent, how do you play JJ to CR?

thwang99
08-29-2003, 02:25 AM
Knowing nothing about your opponent, who limps PF in MP, and you raise JJ in LP, BB calls, 3 to flop of:

5d9s3h, checked to you, you bet, BB folds, MP check-raises you.

Bets turn of 7d, you call. River of Qc, he bets, you call. Do you fold at any point here? I ended up calling for better or for worse, though I didn't like it.

- Tony

results
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
he turns over 46c for the nuts.

JTG51
08-29-2003, 02:28 AM
I'd 3-bet the flop most of the time, the exceptions being when I called so I could raise the turn. You have WAY too much hand to go into call down mode just because you got check raised on the flop.

Bob T.
08-29-2003, 03:40 AM
Don't fold, the only real question, reraise the flop, or pop him later.

I would have expected him to have a hand like top pair, but he had a draw, I would have probably lost a couple of more big bets on this hand.

slavic
08-29-2003, 04:15 AM
On this board I'm debating reraising the flop, or raising the turn.

I'll second Bob-T and say I'd lose a lot more than you did.

SwordFish
08-29-2003, 05:23 AM
I would reraise the flop to get a better idea of where I stand.

[ QUOTE ]
he turns over 46c for the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not to nitpik, but the nuts here was 68.

SF

Mason Malmuth
08-29-2003, 06:30 AM
Hi thwang99:

The way this hand was played, it looks like you probably have the best hand on the turn (even though you don't). So you may want to raise after he bets. Now if he has five outs to your jacks, you might get him to fold.

If you play it this way, and he now three bets you on the turn, you have to strongly consider giving it up. That's because it appears that you have a very strong hand and he should not even consider reraising unless he is even stronger since it is so likely that you will call.

Best wishes,
Mason

Your Mom
08-29-2003, 09:49 AM
when i get c/r on the flop with an overpair, I am either 3 betting or raising the turn about every damn time.

thwang99
08-29-2003, 07:31 PM
Yeah raising the turn would make a 3bet an easier fold.

But, I can call the turn and call the river for the same price. And who knows, he might 3bet me with some sort of 2 pair hand, in which case I have outs, plus even if he has a set, I still have outs, so by just calling, I don't risk having to fold, right? One of the things I was thinking was, "I want to call this down to the end".

- Tony