PDA

View Full Version : Ok, how about this hand? 75s in the CO

jasonHoldEm
08-29-2003, 01:07 AM
Guys,

I'm working my way through TOP, and starting to incorporate some of the more "advanced" techniques into my game...not sure if this was the proper opportunity, but it ended nicely.

Party 2/4 - Table is fairly loose/passive Tighter on the later rounds.

I'm in the CO with 75 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Pre-Flop: MP call, MP call, I call, button calls, SB completes, BB checks

FLOP: 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif

SB comes out betting, BB calls, fold, fold, I raise, Button folds, SB and BB both call.

Like I said, I'm not sure if this was the right opportunity, with bottom pair, a gutshot, and a weak backend flush I suspect this might be a little too agressive...SB and BB are fairly loose, but also pretty passive. I raised because I thought I had a very good chance of picking up a free card on the turn (as long as I could force out the button), and also thought I might get someone to fold a better pair than mine further increasing my chances to win the pot.

TURN: 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Check, check, check

I seriously considered betting here, the board just got scarrier (especially to over cards) and if I check it through I'm giving the flush draw a free card to beat me. Looking back I think betting was the correct play (even though there's a danger of a check-raise). Comments?

RIVER: 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Check, check, bet, fold, fold

I hate one card full-houses, but figured if someone was holding a six they would have come out betting so I'm almost positive I have the best hand (or maybe chopping at worst). I suspect they had either overcards or a flush draw that missed since I'm confident either of these two would have called me down with a 9.

Thanks for your input,
jHE

lil'
08-29-2003, 09:09 AM
Assuming your 6 outs are good (the four 8's and the two 5's, I think you will make a better hand more than %25 of the time by the river. If you add in the three 7's as outs things are even better, alhtough those may not be clean.

Your read on the table was that they were passive enough to give a free card, so it seems you did a good job reading the table and your opponents.

If it was a rainbow board, the play would certainly be good. I think the suited board makes it close, but I still think it's OK.

Oh, and I think you did the right thing by taking the free card on the turn, and you had an easy river bet.