PDA

View Full Version : Remember Louise Woodward?

Al Mirpuri
08-28-2003, 05:39 PM
Louise Woodward was a British nanny in her late teens/early twenties who shook a child, in her care, to death in the USA. Louise was a sweet looking girl from the genteel county of Cheshire. Well, you folks found here guilty as charged and she was imprisoned for manslaughter.

Here in the UK a fund was started to bring about her release. In time the US govt did release her. (She did not spend too long inside jail.) Well, her parents were charged with fraud as they claimed non-existent expenses from the fund. However, a UK court found them not guilty on a technicality. Some of the checks sent to the fund had been in the name of the parents and it was held that you cannot steal from yourself. It was a sordid business.

Louise Woodward is currently studying for a law degree at my old alma mater.

Here all the press could say was 'a US court found her guilty' as if somehow US courts had lower standards of proof or procedure.

There is no justice in this world. Here's looking forward to the next.

HUSKER'66
08-28-2003, 06:12 PM
Apparently the saying, "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree" has some merit after all.

daryn
09-03-2003, 11:00 AM
i do remember louise woodward quite well as i'm from boston and the incident occurred in the boston area. you must know however that justice cannot exist in this world?