PDA

View Full Version : Hummingbirds, Tolkien and Home Theater

Wake up CALL
08-28-2003, 03:11 PM
I had my first up close and personal hummingbird sighting in my flower garden this morning. Had some landscaping work done earlier in the Spring and they planted these funky flowers that kinda grow on vines and spread out. Well since they have flourished butterflies have been gathering and todays' bonus was a hummingbird. They are so cool! As well as fast. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

As for Tolkein, I watched Twin Towers on my home theater system last night. Wow the details and sound are remarkable. Golum is so lifelike and the 20 minute attack on the castle, well the sound effects were mesmerizing to say the least. I recommend adding this DVD to your collection, the 2nd disc has some very interesting "making of" information and interviews.

Boris
08-28-2003, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow the details and sound are remarkable. Golum is so lifelike and the 20 minute attack on the castle, well the sound effects were mesmerizing to say the least.

[/ QUOTE ]

you keep talking about the sound. Were you on lsd?

brad
08-28-2003, 04:30 PM
come on boris nobody reads my posts, start one, best audio/visual stimulus for watching on lsd /images/graemlins/smile.gif

--
maybe he got a hearing aid or something. let me tell u when u cant hear and then u can its pretty amazing /images/graemlins/smile.gif

angry young man
08-28-2003, 04:55 PM
to anyone who knows and loves the books this movie was a disgrace.

I concur, hummingbirds are cool.

Wake up CALL
08-28-2003, 04:55 PM
"you keep talking about the sound. Were you on lsd? "

Nice post Boris, any more west coast wit for the masses?

Boris
08-28-2003, 04:57 PM
just answer the question please.

Wake up CALL
08-28-2003, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
just answer the question please.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, now you must discern which question I just answered.

Boris
08-28-2003, 05:11 PM
I read your posts Brad.

I don't think I'd get many responses. lsd is seems to be a relic of the past. I'm not in touch with that sub-culture any more but whenever I sniff around it seems that X has pretty much taken over. Kind of like Kudzu. I remember alot of people claiming they like to watch The Wall. I always thought they were full of it. The Wall is about the last thing I would want to watch. For the most enjoyable experience I like the outdoor setting with 3-5 friends, either a warm summer night or winter camping after a fresh snow. The problem with lsd always seemed to be that the dose and quality were so varied.

Boris
08-28-2003, 05:13 PM
Thanks. I'll mark you down as a yes.

brad
08-28-2003, 05:21 PM
'I read your posts Brad.'

thx.

the 'just anser the question' post in this thread made me laugh out loud heh

baggins
08-29-2003, 12:56 AM
just a small correction - the title of the movie is The Two Towers, not Twin Towers, as you state in your post. i'm a bit of a tolkien geek, and it matters to me, if nobody else.

otherwise, i'm glad you liked it. i hope you had the chance to see it in the theater. and i hope you get the chance to read the book if you haven't already done so.

i personally am waiting until November to buy the Extended Edition DVD with all the extra footage. don't get me wrong, The theatrical version is great. but the Extended Edition is the one i want to own.

baggins
08-29-2003, 01:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
to anyone who knows and loves the books this movie was a disgrace.

I concur, hummingbirds are cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh spare me. i've been a huge Tolkien geek for years. i've read the books multiple times. I was watching the progress of these movies for 2 years before they came out. i paid admission just to see the trailer of FOTR and TTT. These movies are so unbelievably great, considering all that went into them. of course there are things that got left out. I'd love to see P.Jackson's take on Tom Bombadil, or the entire Entmoot, or the hours Frodo spends on top Amon Hen, etc. but that doesn't mean that the movies that WERE made are bad. please. they did so many things so perfectly in these movies to discredit them like this. you've got to be seriously disturbed or have some chip on your shoulder to not love these movies.

Wake up CALL
08-29-2003, 10:26 AM
"just a small correction - the title of the movie is The Two Towers, not Twin Towers, as you state in your post. i'm a bit of a tolkien geek, and it matters to me, if nobody else."

Thanks for the correction.

Ray Zee
08-29-2003, 10:40 AM
since none of these posters are interested in hummers(the kind that fly) i will chime in. they are wonderful to have around. plant lots of colorful flowers and you will get them and butterflies as well. where i live in montana, i get ruby throated and black chinned hummers mostly with a few caliope ones coming around.
if you want to feed them use 25% sugar and the rest good water. heat the water some so the sugar dissolves, thats important. then after it cools put it out for them in a feeder. soon you will have many of the critters buzzing around. they will even sit on your finger if you put it by the perch.

angry young man
08-29-2003, 10:58 AM
I disagree with you so I must have a major chip on my shoulder? I'd have to be seriously disturbed to not like a movie that you like? That's rational. I know dozens of people who didn't like these films for varying reasons. I'd be more than happy to itemize my problems with Two Towers (incidently I complaigned about Two Towers not both films, I thought Fellowship was considerably better) but you're clearly not someone who can hold a conversation so I'm not going to waste my time.

Wake up CALL
08-29-2003, 11:05 AM
Mr Zee thanks for the comments. I was wondering what I could do to attract more of these cool little birds. The one I saw was charcoal grey, on the verge of being black. Do I need a special feeder for the sugar water and should I serve those little finger sandwiches as well? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

MMMMMM
08-29-2003, 11:21 AM
I'm interested in hummingbirds. My sister has them visiting every day now at her house. I wonder if it is true that according to what we know about the laws of aerodynamics the hummingbird and bumblebee should not be able to fly. Was that actually the case when I read it ten or fifteen years ago, and if so has our knowledge since changed so that we now understand how they can fly?

Wake up CALL
08-29-2003, 12:24 PM
Bumblebees Can Fly (http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a5_045.html)

Vehn
08-29-2003, 12:41 PM
I was forced to pick up two towers this week as well. Basically my conclusion was "meh", mostly because I really wasn't interested in any of the characters other than Aragorn who did well. The dwarf-as-comic-relief angle was way overplayed, and lets face it, the whole Frodo/Sam gay subtext was totally unneccessary and should have been toned down. Really what it comes down to me, though, is ever since star wars ep. 1 I really cannot get into or be interested by a movie with a substantial amount of CGI. I can't stand it really.. ugh.

Phat Mack
08-29-2003, 01:27 PM
I was wondering what I could do to attract more of these cool little birds.

I live in Texas, and the hummers around here seem to be attracted to flowers that are hot pink in color. I see them most often at dawn and dusk. My favoritesighting was a hummer being attacked by a mocking bird while feeding. The mocking bird would dive; the hummer would wait until the last minute and then move 12 to 18 inches horizontally. After four or five passes the mocking bird gave up. It was like watching Quarry try to punch Ali.

Wake up CALL
08-29-2003, 05:24 PM
"It was like watching Quarry try to punch Ali. "

Now that conjurs up a hilarious picture, thanks for the chuckle and the information.

blueboles
08-29-2003, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
lets face it, the whole Frodo/Sam gay subtext was totally unneccessary and should have been toned down.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you think it's toned up in the movie you should read the books. BTW they (sam and frodo) are not gay, but this isn't an english course.

snakehead
08-30-2003, 04:26 PM
you can use 3:1 mixture of water and sugar to get the birds started, but it is best to use one part sugar and four parts water. then, the birds will drink more often. we even have them here in la, but I haven't seen any of the large green rufus' we had in colorado.

snakehead
08-30-2003, 04:28 PM
you can buy a feeder at most supermarkets. or you can take a small dish or bowl and paint it red to attract the birds.

Wake up CALL
08-30-2003, 04:35 PM
Thank-you Snakehead, I noticed the hummer favored the brightest flowers.

Ray Zee
08-31-2003, 12:18 AM
WAC, yea you need a hummer feeder. get the glass kind with a large glass tube. this way it is easy to wash out as you dont want to let the water get moldy. you will have whole families at it in late summer. hummers eat insects and get sugar to live mostly. good luck and it will be fun watching them. hang it near a window and where a cat cant swat them.

snakehead
08-31-2003, 01:23 AM
you should also put it where the raccoons can't get to it. they love that stuff.