PDA

View Full Version : moral terrorism question based on red dawn

brad
08-28-2003, 01:42 PM
ok movie red dawn (US occupied by soviets)

at one point girl (actress from dirty dancing i think) takes a bomb into a (post office or recruiting thing or basically soviet uso deal i think cause soviet soldier tries to pick her up or something) and blows it up.

now do u think this is a morally allowable?

angry young man
08-28-2003, 01:57 PM
who would have thought a Patrick Swayze movie would be used in a discussion on foreign policy 20 years after it was filmed?

adios
08-28-2003, 02:08 PM
It was filmed in New Mexico btw. I believe around Los Alamos or Sante Fe or both.

brad
08-28-2003, 02:12 PM
r u kidding ive been saving this up for years /images/graemlins/smile.gif

brad
08-29-2003, 02:26 PM
disappointing this thread didnt get more response (and how to interpret lack of poll responses? btw i didnt vote) since i think this could really put things in a new light.

btw if i was a russian or cuban commander i would vehemently assert that such actions were strictly prohibited by (authoritive source here) and totally criminal.

im delighted though that the 'mandatory' option was utilized in the poll /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Boris
08-29-2003, 05:10 PM
I don't understand the dilimma. I guess if I was Russian or a strict pacifist then I would say its immoral.

brad
08-29-2003, 05:29 PM
lol.

with everybody so obsessed with israel i thought the parallels to suicide bombings would be apparent.

also note that in movie the two boys say they are 'worn out' or something like that , oh yeah, 'used up', 'all used up', thats it, and they basically go on a suicide mission, although they dont suicide bomb.

also in the movie the girl almost cant make it out of russian uso/post office place where she left the bomb (in which case she would qualify as suicide bomber even though she didnt intend to i guess).

just thought it was interesting. (what is definition of drama, characters go through role reversals or something /images/graemlins/smile.gif ,

Boris
08-29-2003, 06:37 PM
Presumably the pro-Israel posters here wouldn't have much of a moral problem with the Palestinian suicide bombers if they bombed military targets. So I don't think there's a parallel to the Red Dawn scenario.

brad
08-29-2003, 07:22 PM
no it wasnt a military target at all. lots of civilians around. (supposedly the civilians were working with russians so they deserved it or someting or maybe i dont remember it too well.)

just a place where a lot of people mostly soldiers were.

like a nightclub.

Boris
08-29-2003, 07:37 PM
oh, OK. It's been so long since I saw the movie I can hardly remember it. I just remember where the kid had to drink the blood of the deer because it was his first kill. pretty cool.

John Cole
08-29-2003, 10:35 PM
brad,

Given your precise summary, I take it you haven't seen the movie recently. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

John Cole
08-29-2003, 10:39 PM
"I beleive around Los Alamos or Santa Fe or both."

Tom, are you mocking brad's movie summary?

MMMMMM
08-29-2003, 10:45 PM
Well, how bad was his come-on line?

brad
08-30-2003, 05:06 PM
iirc, he said

'hey , you like chekov from star trek, da ? '