PDA

View Full Version : should i bet the river here?

asteroid
08-28-2003, 10:48 AM
hi,
online 10-20 game with a mix of good and a few very recreational players.
I am in the bb with 67 of clubs.An early position player limps(he plays mostly passive,likes to play suited hands and coldcalls for instance 2 bets in midposition with kq off).The player to his left calls(he plays reasonable as far as i know) and a late position player,who hasnt played a hand so far for two rounds after sitting in,raises here.I call in the bb and both limpers call too.
The flop is KJ3 with the K and J in clubs.
I check,first limper bets,second limper folds and the raiser calls as do i.i dont raise here for value being out of position and with only the flush as an out.
On the turn comes the 3 of clubs completing my flush.I check,what of course isnt necessary right.The first limper bets again and now the LP raises.I threebet with the intention to fold to another reraise here.The limper coldcalls
two more bets and the raiser in LP calls too.
River is an offsuit 5.
Should I valuebet here?I dont know what the limper might have,but thought he could have a flush too not reraising on fourth street because of the paired board.I was quite sure having the LP beat here.
I chickened out and checked and took the pot after it being checked behind.
Would anyone have bet the river.If yes do you call a raise then?

thx for your input

asteroid

Magikist
08-28-2003, 11:07 AM
I think you are correct to be concerned when LP wakes up on the turn. Yes, he could have a higher flush or KK or JJ for a boat, but you played it perfectly by 3-betting. When you don't get 4-bet, I think you can safely rule out being beat by a full house.

While there's chance one of your opponents has a higher flush, there are many, many other hands they could play this way. For instance, your read on the early limper suggests that he could cold call your turn 3-bet with very little, and he is probably drawing thin or dead. The late position pre-flop raiser could play hands like AA or AcKx this way very easily.

As a result, you definitely need to value bet in this spot on the river. Even if you have a good read and think you are beat by a higher flush, I still maintain that you should bet. A good general rule of thumb for river play is that if you plan to check-call, you should bet out when there's little chance that you will be raised. I think the conditions of this rule apply to your situation here. If you weren't 4-bet by a higher flush on the turn, you likely won't be raised on the river.

Bet the river.

elysium
08-28-2003, 05:22 PM
hi ast
well, looks like a fold pre-flop. the raise looks good to me. best to fold, but there is room for argument.

whew, i'll tell you ast. these type hands like pretty passive action. you don't want to get into a whole lot of raising and so forth. yes, there is room for argument on this issue as well. you do likely have something there. but just take the passive route on these ast. you're not going to change or tactically increase your ev in this spot. if you do, it's not worth the effort. if you're going to get fancy here, do it for image reasons. i'm not saying that this is a hand that you should do anything with other than muck pre-flop. i'm just saying that there is nothing in this post indicating grounds for aggression. the passive route on the this one is best. if you want to get fancy, do it for other reasons than just getting money in the pot.

Jeff V
08-28-2003, 08:43 PM
I would say that since you didn't get 4 bet on the turn that your hand is good. IMO, if you're gonna play these suited connectors you have to assume your flush would be good otherwise why would you be in there trying to make it?