PDA

View Full Version : Moneymaker vs Farha Rematch, Sept 14

eMarkM
08-28-2003, 09:55 AM
Saw this (http://www.google.com/groups?dq=&start=25&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&group=rec.gambling.poker&selm=3f4d510f%240%24232 76%249a6e19ea%40news.newshosting.com) on RGP.

A rematch of the HU WSOP final between Moneymaker and Farha on Stars for all to watch. $40K up for grabs with Stars putting up 10 and each player putting in 15K of their own. What sounds really cool is we'll be able to see the hole cards. However, that will wait until a replay a couple weeks later. Should be very entertaining and I would hope the online sites do more of these kinds of promotions.

dux
08-28-2003, 10:04 AM
What a great idea (the hole cards that is). They've given them both a +EV tournament and all of us an insight to some high stakes poker.

Also you don't have to go to RGP to see that it's on, 2+2 have some updated banners talking up this heads up match. I haven't clicked to see if it has the information your article gives though.

eMarkM
08-28-2003, 10:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
2+2 have some updated banners talking up this heads up match

[/ QUOTE ]

Duh, I didn't see the ad. I never read those things. So much for the power of internet banner ads. Of course, you click on the link and it just brings you to Stars home page with no additional information.

shandrakor
08-28-2003, 03:37 PM
Moneymaker vs Farha, Round 2 (http://www.pokerstars.com/WSOP2003_rematch.html)

J.R.
08-28-2003, 03:51 PM
Will this match be live or online poker?

shandrakor
08-28-2003, 03:54 PM
Online. I posted the link below with the details.

ZeeJustin
08-28-2003, 04:08 PM
Wow. This is an insane idea. I can't wait. It's too bad that neither of them are HU players. I personally would rather see something like Erik123 vs Joebuttons (best name I could pick out of thin air) or something, but they would obviously be too unknown to the public.

TimTimSalabim
08-28-2003, 06:34 PM
Does the winner get to take on the King of the Zoo? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

pokerfunnMyAss
08-28-2003, 06:35 PM
All great tourney players are HU players, or they would have never won a tourney.

Sam is clearly more experienced, but that was one of the most entertaining HU matches I have ever seen when it was down to the final two. Moneymaker has gotten flamed so much on rgp that it is not even funny. Respected posters over there are constantly claiming his victory can be attributed to nothing but luck and the ability to suckout after his poor plays. IMO, he played great and deserves to be Champ for the next year. His calls against Boyd and others have been called insane. I call them gutsy, and give him more credit for his ability to smell weakness than any other player this year. Most of the Moneymaker flames are out of jealousy or total lack of acknowledgement that he is more talented than many so called "wcp's". People act as if he won a sit-N-go, as opposed to a 5 day event against the best in the world.

I think the top tourney players will come to understand that all that dead money is not necessarily dead. I feel Moneymaker is a class act, and deserved the win. Too bad he sold off all those pieces, but at least they were to friends and family.

Vehn
08-28-2003, 06:41 PM
What was his explanation as to why he sold pieces of himself when his buy in was less than $100?

Wake up CALL
08-28-2003, 06:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What was his explanation as to why he sold pieces of himself when his buy in was less than $100?

[/ QUOTE ]

So he could afford the airfare and hotel expenses in Vegas.

goodguy_1
08-28-2003, 06:48 PM
how about the multiple 2 outers he made to stay alive in WSOP..was that great play??
NO IT WAS LUCK..I gave him credit for being ballsy thu.He made a few very good moves in late stages of the tourney.BUT the mutiple monster suckouts were what got him to final table.
HE WAS VERY LUCKY and he played well but I think any players who play alot of NLHE right here on the ZOO ..could have done what he has done.
You gotta remember before the WSOP he was a losing /breakeven player on PokerStars supposedly.
There are hundreds of players who are better than him right here right now on 2+2 who are professional players in my opinion.

goodguy_1
08-28-2003, 07:04 PM
btw who gives a fock about the Farha/ Moneymaker match up ..So friggin what.Get a life man.
This is PokerStars marketing machine at work.

pokerfunnMyAss
08-28-2003, 07:45 PM
FIVE DAY TOURNAMENT!

Outlasting the field that size is not possible with luck only. Before the peek cams, and our ability to see every card, his win would have been respected.

It is tecnology causing your confusion. Johnny Moss never had a camera under his nose. If he had, you would have seen many bad plays. However, the peekcam is responsible for ~1.5 million viewers at espn, and ~900k for travel. It is the future, and that is fine. Poker is fantastic to watch in this format. But what you will see is that every WSOP Champ will have flamers because of the scrutiny of the play. Give him respect for hitting a luck lottery if you must, but respect that it was within the curve.

pokerfunnMyAss
08-28-2003, 07:53 PM
I anxiously await the exposed card version on the 28th. That will be awesome. Who cares if it is a promotion for the site. The players are dropping their own roll, and PokerStars is paying for hosting the show by adding money. If this is a bad idea, then I am a bad person. I won't watch the live show, only the one they put together. It will be awesome unless it ends on an aa or kk very early, making it short and one that involved little play. Here's hoping for a long match. Please don't tell me who won. ;-]