PDA

View Full Version : Top 3 Bands of all time?

Stork
08-28-2003, 12:57 AM
My vote: Jimi Hendrix (Experience and Band of Gypsies)
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
in no particular order...too bad they're all dead or broken /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Oski
08-28-2003, 01:09 AM
Melvins

Cyrus
08-28-2003, 01:41 AM
/images/graemlins/cool.gif

BruceZ
08-28-2003, 02:10 AM
1. Gin-Blossoms (who you can now see for free and easily qualify as the most underrated band of all time).

2. REO Speedwagon

3. Styx / Fleetwood Mac can't split 'em

brad
08-28-2003, 02:31 AM
tommy dorsey/harry james / sinatra

heh

ripdog
08-28-2003, 03:28 AM
Zep and Floyd for sure. Can't argue against Jimi either, though he's not my favorite. Only three? I can't decide on the last one.

adios
08-28-2003, 04:34 AM
If we're just talking R&R

1. Grateful Dead

2. Rolling Stones

3. Beatles - even though I listen to others more including Jimi Hendrix.

I'm an old guy what can I say.

nicky g
08-28-2003, 08:40 AM
3 best bands

Beatles
Nirvana
Radiohead

My 3 favourite bands

Nirvana
Radiohead
Afghan Whigs
and a fourth for the hell of it: The Pet Shop Boys (oh yes!)

Phat Mack
08-28-2003, 09:34 AM
Pre-"Let It Bleed" Stones
Cream
Talking Heads

Homer
08-28-2003, 09:48 AM
Stork, I'm with you on 2 of 'em:

1) Led Zeppelin
2) Beatles
3) Pink Floyd
4) Rolling Stones

There's a big gap before my #5 -- have no idea who it would be.

-- Homer

slamdunkpro
08-28-2003, 10:04 AM
Top 5 bands that changed Pop Music as we know it:

1. Beatles (enuff said)
2. BeeGees ( Disco)
3. Def Leppard (First real hair / MTV band)
4. Nirvana (Killed hair / Seattle sound)
5. Madonna ( Era of the Diva)

Bands that ONLY endure because of tragic death

1. Jimi Hendrix
2. Janis Joplin
3. Doors

Spartacus
08-28-2003, 10:05 AM
Maybe I will never make it out of the fruits and vegetable aisle, but her are my three in no particular order.

The Clash
The Who
The Eagles

B-Man
08-28-2003, 10:14 AM
The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and The Who, you pick.

angry young man
08-28-2003, 10:33 AM
Dylan, Beatles, Who.

XlgJoe
08-28-2003, 11:08 AM
Eagles, CCR, Fleetwood Mac

Joe Tall
08-28-2003, 11:11 AM
1. Beatles
2. Led Zeppelin
3. Pink Floyd

Quality and Quanity you can top these three.

Beatles - Greatest song writing duo, revoultion of R&R turned into evolution of R&R.
Lep Zep - there really isn't 4 more talented individuals that played together anywhere else.
Pink Floyd - Masterful song writing and extreme talent in the studio, revolutionary studio work.

As for a B list:

Rolling Stones
Credance Clearwater Revival (people don't give them enough credit hightly talented on every street)
Steely Dan (however different members came and went as the recordings went on - but the core group is up there)
Talking Heads
The Who (Pete Townshend dominated the song writing - but still up there)

Clarkmeister
08-28-2003, 11:48 AM
Wow, a fellow Afghan Whigs fan. Cool. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

nicky g
08-28-2003, 11:52 AM
And for years I've thought I was the only one... so this is what it's like when doves cry.

M2d
08-28-2003, 11:18 PM
Wailers
Glenn Miller Orchestra
Whomever Tommy Angelo is playing with

Homer
08-28-2003, 11:52 PM
... so this is what it's like when doves cry.

LOL. Simpsons reference (Milhouse), no?

-- Homer

Boris
08-29-2003, 12:42 AM
not sure if I can name 3 favorites but I can't believe that Sabbath and Skynard havn't been named on a few lists.

baggins
08-29-2003, 12:44 AM
Greatest band of all time: Led Zeppelin

as for the other 2 slots, it's too hard to choose. there are too many genres to neglect some but not others. I'll just list some names not mentioned yet that i would put in the running, at least:

Sunny Day Real Estate
Godspeed You Black Emperor
The Beach Boys
The Ramones
Robert Johnson
Misfits
Black Flag
Minor Threat
James Brown
Stevie Wonder
Overcome
ZAO
Jethro Tull
Guns N Roses
Black Sabbath
Clutch
Joni Mitchell
Simon & Garfunkel
Bob Dylan
Ministry
Nine Inch Nails
Samael
Iron Maiden
The White Stripes
The MC5
The Refused
Tom Waits
The Byrds

Also: there are a lot of bands that people will put on their lists that i think are nowhere near as great as the bands on the list above, but...

radiohead (number one overrated band ever, in my opinion), nirvana, the beatles, the stones, steely dan (vomit), the eagles (what does The Dude say?), reo, styx, boston, the wailers, green day (are you kidding?), the clash (i could never ever get into them, and i've tried)...

John Cole
08-29-2003, 01:40 AM
The Fugs for their song "Do You Like Boobs A Lot"

The Holy Modal Rounders for their version of The Fugs "Do You Like Boobs a Lot"

The Ramones

John

Ralle
08-29-2003, 04:52 AM
Dire Straits
Kraftwerk
Alphaville

nicky g
08-29-2003, 05:24 AM

jmctriton
08-29-2003, 05:44 AM
My votes would be:
Pink Floyd
Albert King
BB King

Interesting sidenote about 2 great musicians that have been on some of your lists:

I recently saw James Brown and BB King in concert, and what a difference it was. James cost $150 for 2 tickets, was onstage a grand total of 45 mins while his back-up band and "solid-gold" dancers were on stage for at least an hour. Strange thing was in the middle of the show, he stopped, left the stage, and some lounge singer from vegas came up and sang, well, I guess they were vegas show tunes, to us for about 20 mins. Needless to say, everyone in the crowd was pretty ticked off. And to add insult to injury, after the show, the mc comes over the loudspeaker and screams, "Do you want more Godfather of Soul???" over and over again to which we cheered and cheered for 5 mins and then...... the house lights came on, show over, thanks for coming.
/images/graemlins/mad.gif

The BB King show was $75.00 for myself, girlfriend and son and he played for 2 1/2 hours even though he couldn't even stand up from his chair for more then a few minutes at a time. He spend a lot of time talking and joking with the audience, getting the entire theatre out of their seats, and spend about 15 mins after the show thanking the audience, signing autographs and taking pictures (I think the man is in his mid-70's).
Now, who again is the "hardest working man in show buisness"?

Jason

TJSWAN
08-29-2003, 12:18 PM
Cyrus,

The Band has to be one of my favourites. Floyd, Zep, Beatles
The Who, Stones and The Grateful Dead are all up there.
Also Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble who I was fortunate enuf to see 3 times before his tragic death.
/images/graemlins/frown.gif
The Last Waltz now out on DVD is an incredible time capsule of American music. Long live Rock!!!
/images/graemlins/cool.gif
I also like Rush a lot but would not put them on a top 3 or 5 list.

Tim

Ray Zee
08-30-2003, 05:46 PM
the correct answer is the---

beatles

rolling stones

beach boys---

and only baggins had beach boys. so it stands to reason all of the above posters have little concept of life and good music. it doesnt matter as they will all be stone deaf by 45 years old.

Roy Munson
08-30-2003, 09:34 PM
Toomy Dorsey, Duke Ellington, Count Basie.

brad
08-30-2003, 09:58 PM
yeah i love that music too main reason i posted it though was that frank was in all bands i posted heh.

btw you have all the new (last decade) tony bennett albums with ralph sharon trio? really great

baggins
08-31-2003, 02:00 AM
The Beach Boys are so great it's not even funny. Pet Sounds will make your soul pure again...

however, as great as the Beatles and the Stones are, i've always thought Zep and Sabbath were better 'Classic Rock' bands.

However, you should all give a listen to Godspeed You! Black Emperor (http://www.godspeedyoublackemperor.com). their post-apocalyptic orchestral pieces are beyond compare. if anybody DOES check them out or know of them already, post something here. i'd be interested to hear opinions on their stuff.

John Feeney
08-31-2003, 03:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the correct answer is the---

beatles

rolling stones

beach boys---

[/ QUOTE ]

Finally, someone posts the right answer. I thought Ray might come along and set you guys straight. I couldn't do it because I was busy sitting in stunned silence at some of the other answers. When you guys get a little more historical perspective under your belts, you'll understand. Or maybe you just had to be there. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Notes to Baggins:

1) It's probably true that Led Zep was better in a lot of ways than, say, the Stones, but when you're talking about "greatness" I think you have to factor in overall influence, widespread acknowledgement (whatever that means), and, uh, other stuff, you know? Led Zep was just never quite as big. In the '60s and into the '70s the Stones and Beatles were bigger than any other bands have ever been. And still today you do hear a lot of Beatles influence in new music. (Maybe Stones influence too, but I don't think I spot it as easily.)

2) I predict that one day you will write a post titled, "Oh My God, Was I Wrong about Steely Dan." Realize that they're really not a rock band per se. Don't expect what we think of as rock from them. But whatever they are they make for some good listening. Now, I hardly listen to any other music that might be in the same category as the Dan (jazz-pop-rock fusion or whatever). Their sound is just unique. It's something to do with their offbeat yet infectious melodies and some of the quirkiest lyrics out there. Their songs often take quite a few listens, though, before they start to grab you. So my advice is to keep the vomit comin' for a while as you listen to more of their stuff. (On their new CD ignore "The Last Mall" and "Blues Beach" which are weak efforts compared to their usual work.) Then either report back with the title I predicted above, or enjoy a big swig of Pepto-Bismal. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

baggins
08-31-2003, 04:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Notes to Baggins:

1) It's probably true that Led Zep was better in a lot of ways than, say, the Stones, but when you're talking about "greatness" I think you have to factor in overall influence, widespread acknowledgement (whatever that means), and, uh, other stuff, you know? Led Zep was just never quite as big. In the '60s and into the '70s the Stones and Beatles were bigger than any other bands have ever been. And still today you do hear a lot of Beatles influence in new music. (Maybe Stones influence too, but I don't think I spot it as easily.)

2) I predict that one day you will write a post titled, "Oh My God, Was I Wrong about Steely Dan." Realize that they're really not a rock band per se. Don't expect what we think of as rock from them. But whatever they are they make for some good listening. Now, I hardly listen to any other music that might be in the same category as the Dan (jazz-pop-rock fusion or whatever). Their sound is just unique. It's something to do with their offbeat yet infectious melodies and some of the quirkiest lyrics out there. Their songs often take quite a few listens, though, before they start to grab you. So my advice is to keep the vomit comin' for a while as you listen to more of their stuff. (On their new CD ignore "The Last Mall" and "Blues Beach" which are weak efforts compared to their usual work.) Then either report back with the title I predicted above, or enjoy a big swig of Pepto-Bismal. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

John,

I appreciate the comments. In some cases, The Stones and The Beatles were bigger than Zep. in fact, in a lot of regards. However, there were points where Zep had more popularity than either. I was listening to a radio show on WXRT (i think it was XRT, not sure. but most likely considering the stations i have preset...) tonight. it was highlighting the 'history of rock and roll'. i caught the tail end of Stairway, and then the dj mentioned the subject of the show, and said that in '71 Zep was voted the biggest band in a readers' choice poll from some music magazine. i wish the specifics were better in my recollection. anyway, there was a point where Zep were bigger than anybody. i'd say that the beatles and the stones have both been more popular for longer than Zep. But certainly they're up there. anyway, i think the question is too subjective to really argue such a fine point. and i don't think The Beach Boys would be #3 if this were not subjective.

re: steely dan

i hear what you're saying. and i know i've come to respect bands i have hated with time. i cannot say this will not happen with SD. but... i don't listen to or really like jazz, pop, pop-rock, or fusion. it is unlikely i will be forced to listen to enough doseage of SD to attain critical mass in terms of exposure to really begin to like them. but i will admit that anything is possible. personally, i think the best i've ever heard Steely Dan is hearing Tori Amos' cover of 'Do It Again'. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

P.S. - How are your personal music projects coming along, John?

P.P.S. i've been rereading ITPM recently, and am still learning valuable lessons. i'm glad i bought it. consequently, it is hilarious when my non-poker-playing friends browse it and invariably ask about the Ace-Queen test (and often other sections of the book) and i have to explain to a complete beginner the principles of the AQ test (or whatever section they're asking about). it makes me think. plus, i enjoy your writing style a bit to S&M. which is just an added bonus.

crockpot
08-31-2003, 04:38 AM
1. led zeppelin (by far)
2. aerosmith
3. guns n' roses

the who is a close fourth.

Wake up CALL
08-31-2003, 11:58 AM
"3. guns n' roses"

Now that is a funny post!!!!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif

John Cole
08-31-2003, 02:11 PM
A couple years ago, I pulled into the driveway blasting "Sloop John B," and the neighborhood kids all started dancing. They knew greatness when they heard it.

John Feeney
08-31-2003, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i think the question is too subjective to really argue such a fine point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's about the gist of it. Still, I can't believe no one mentioned the Bay City Rollers. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
How are your personal music projects coming along, John?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, not much progress there yet, I must admit. I've just had a few too many other things going on to pursue it. It's still on the list though. My wife's currently getting into some jazz singing though. So I'm vicariously learning a little stuff there. Thanks for asking.

[ QUOTE ]
and i have to explain to a complete beginner the principles of the AQ test

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, it's hard enough to get experienced players to get what I was saying there. But I think they read into it things I didn't say. At least a complete beginner might hear only what's written on the page. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

DanS
09-01-2003, 02:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1. led zeppelin (by far)
2. aerosmith
3. guns n' roses

the who is a close fourth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only your mention of The Who can absolve you from your mention of Aerosmith, the most overrated band of all time.

Many of my favorites (the Beatles, LZ, RStones, Tull, Steely Dan, and many others worth a mention) have been, uh, mentioned, so I'm only going to say one thing. The greatest *rock 'n roll* band of all time is... Van Halen w/DLR.

Dan

baggins
09-01-2003, 03:19 AM
did you get a chance to see GNR on the last tour before Axl canceled it all? i mean, it was Axl with a completely new band, but they still put on a HELL of a show. Buckethead is amazing. absolutely brilliant.

TimTimSalabim
09-01-2003, 10:18 PM
1. Rush (lineup hasn't changed in 30 years, nor has the greatness)

2. Marillion (the 80s lineup)

3. Yes (the 70s lineup)

Cyrus
09-02-2003, 10:04 AM
What do you take to stay awake when Rick Wakeman starts a solo ? Honest medical question.

DanS
09-03-2003, 08:27 PM
My first concert ever, at the age of 12 in 1991 was Guns 'n Roses with Skid Row opening. That was traumatizing, but cool as hell.

Have you heard seen any of the Les Claypool/Buckethead colloborative effort?

Dan

CCass
09-04-2003, 12:38 AM
Ray - hate to disagree with you, but you didn't mention ole Blue eyes himself Frank Sinatra (THE Chairman of the Board).

Oddly enough, the current rotation in my CD player is Frank S., Pink Floyd, and the Beatles.

Am I screwed up or what?

baggins
09-04-2003, 02:16 AM
i wish i could have seen them back in the day.

unfortunately, i haven't heard anything from claypool/buckethead... that's not the collaborative effort called Oysterhead, is it?

Ray Zee
09-04-2003, 11:12 AM
of course you are all screwed up c cass. your selection is all different from the time periods to the music. i suggest you may have a disorder called mixopia. do you also have to think about which foot to start with when you walk. try one of our resident shrinks that post here like scalf or feeney for a tuneup.

imported_Chuck Weinstock
09-04-2003, 11:13 AM
Sorry, you are wrong. You haven't heard all of the bands there ever were to be able to make this claim out of first hand knowledge.

For all we know the John Phillips Sousa Marine band would blow all the others away given a fair hearing. (Not to mention Benny Goodman, Red Nichols, Louis Armstrong, Jimmy Lunceford, etc. Does anyone know if Mozart had a band? /images/graemlins/smile.gif)

The thread should be retitled "The Top Three Bands since
the mid-1960's"

Chuck

Joe Tall
09-04-2003, 11:34 AM
Count Basie Orchesta has to be in this list too.

John Cole
09-04-2003, 12:28 PM
Larry,

Last semester I was fortunate enough to have the drummer for Count Basie, Harold Jones, speak to a couple of my writing classes. He discussed the role of improvisation in the composing process, and later in class we talked about how "improvising" can play a part in the writing process.

He told me one story about Basie. By the time they began a tour in the South, Harold had grown a huge afro, and Basie sensed that the afro, combined with the beads Jones was wearing, might cause a few problems where they were playing. Basie said to him, "Is that how you guys are wearing your hair these days?" Jones said he went out and got it cut immediately.

CCass
09-04-2003, 04:47 PM
Ray - lets make a deal. We will let one of the resident shrinks straigten out my head, and you straigthen out my poker game...lol

DPCondit
09-04-2003, 09:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bands that ONLY endure because of tragic death

1. Jimi Hendrix
2. Janis Joplin
3. Doors

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not so sure about the other two, but you should remove Jimi Hendrix from your list.

Greatest Bands

1. Jimi Hendrix (Band of Gypsies, JH Experience)
2. Led Zeppelin
3. Black Sabbath, Robin Trower, Stevie Ray Vaughan (3 way tie)

Don

DPCondit
09-04-2003, 09:49 PM
In #3, I was only referring to the original Black Sabbath.

Amanjyaku
09-05-2003, 05:22 AM
Amazingly enough, I think this is the first mention of Trower in the entire thread.

My top three:

Storm
Freda and the Firedogs
tie: Greazy Wheels - Lee Ann and the Bizarros

baggins
09-05-2003, 06:52 AM
of course only the original sabbath.

also, Hendrix deserves the recognition he gets regardless of tragic death. he truly brought something new to rock n roll and blues guitar...

Joe Tall
09-05-2003, 11:31 AM
That's great stuff, John, wish I could have been there!

I've got a great story on how I got into Jazz. I was 25, living in Boston w/a girlfriend, and had NEVER been to New York City. (you know how it goes with a small town Mass resident...you'll get there eventually). Well, she flew down for a week's stay (Rich BU student) and took the Acela down from Boston, met her at the hotel and she said, "I've got a surprise for us tonight!".

That night, dressed to the 'nines', we headed out. Standing in line at the Blue Note in Mid-town, I look up at the headliner: "Tonight, Count Basie Orchestra with Special Guest, Kenny Burrell" (I just got the chills typing it). We sat front and center with Kenny's foot 5" from my left shoulder while he stood infront of out table.

At the break, sure enough, I head to the bathroom and there's Kenny, washing his hands, he drys them, and I say, "Excuse me, sir" and he replies, "Yes, son?" I say, "That was the most enjoyable and beautiful guitar playing I have ever seen." He come back with, "The show is only half over, we have just begun, I hope you plan on staying." I shake his hand and say, "I won't miss a minute, thanks."

First set back, lights drop, the spot light hits Kenny and us as he dedicates, "Soul Lament" (Midnight Blue) to his new friends.

One of the greatest memories of my life. Truly amazing.

Peace,
Joe

BTW: You know we have met, limit hold'em tourn at Fox a few months ago, I sat to your immediate right and after a few hands I turned and asked, "So, how is Tommy Angelo's CD?". /images/graemlins/smile.gif

DanS
09-05-2003, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i wish i could have seen them back in the day.

unfortunately, i haven't heard anything from claypool/buckethead... that's not the collaborative effort called Oysterhead, is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that was Stewart Copeland/Trey Anastasio/Claypool, I think. This one is something like "Commander Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains."

Dan

Stork
09-06-2003, 12:05 AM
Chuck Weinstock, its just an opinion thread obviously people are going to disagree

Stork
09-06-2003, 12:06 AM
Tom Haley, it's whatever bands are your favorite. Any catagory

SirFoldsAlot
09-10-2003, 03:32 PM
Geez, get with the program /images/graemlins/tongue.gif