PDA

View Full Version : Who would you rather be?

DKNY
08-27-2003, 02:41 PM
Who would you rather be? The guy who makes the right play and loses, or the guy that makes the wrong play and wins.

Of course the best feeling is when you played the hand perfectly and won, but there is some sort of comfort or satisfication knowing that you did everything right in that hand but still lost the pot. I'm not sure if this feeling is better than making the occasional bad or loose call and catching a miracle card to win.

A hand that comes to mind is Moneymaker's 88 vs Brenes's AA. Would anyone rather be Brenes at that point?

OffTilt
08-27-2003, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Who would you rather be? The guy who makes the right play and loses, or the guy that makes the wrong play and wins.

[/ QUOTE ]

I take no satisfaction in getting sucked out on, it's extremely frustrating. Even though I know I'll get my money back in the long run, there's a good chance I won't get it back from that particular guy in that session. I would much rather catch the lucky break.

Obviously you have to play smart in the long run to win, but if the question is would you rather play well and lose (be unlucky) or play poor and win (get lucky) on a given hand, I'd rather be the fortunate one.

OffTilt

------------------------------------------
Start winning hundreds at Texas Holdem with Power Holdem+
http://www.online-pokerguide.com

CrackerZack
08-27-2003, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A hand that comes to mind is Moneymaker's 88 vs Brenes's AA. Would anyone rather be Brenes at that point?

[/ QUOTE ]

And out of the tournament with no money? No

baggins
08-27-2003, 04:20 PM
correct me if i am wrong, but wasn't Brenes in the money when he busted out?

CrackerZack
08-27-2003, 04:29 PM
Not sure, but 15K vs chip leader and guaranteed at least that.... seems like an easy decision.

Blue Sky
08-27-2003, 04:45 PM
I want to be the guy who makes the right play and wins but who also gets just as lucky as anyone else when I make a bad play.

I play a solid game and get sucked out on all the time, so when I catch a break I take the chips and never look back. Sure there has been a time or two when I have felt bad about cracking A's but I've never had anyone return chips to me when they crack mine.

It really doesn't matter though. If they have to continuly make miracle hands to beat you, you're going to win more from them then they can suck out on you.

CMangano
08-27-2003, 05:25 PM
I would rather make the right play and lose.

As far as the Moneymaker Brenes hand, this is not even close. In a tournament all that matters is how many chips you have. I would rather spike my 2 outer than knowing I lost with the best possible hand.

Ask Jason Lester how he felt after he spiked his 2 outer on the end.

CrackerZack
08-27-2003, 06:19 PM
I'm sure lester felt just fine collecting 4th place money instead of going out on day 3.

Homer
08-27-2003, 06:37 PM

Before or after the 8 comes on the turn? /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I think anyone who says they'd rather be Brenes is lying. At that stage in a tournament of that magnitude, I'd rather make a bad decision and get lucky than make a good decision and get unlucky.

-- Homer

rigoletto
08-27-2003, 06:49 PM
Hmm... I think this question only makes sense to tournament players!

ChipWrecked
08-27-2003, 07:38 PM
I want to be the guy who buys the CW a fur coat... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

baseball38
08-28-2003, 12:21 AM
Definately the guy who makes the wrong play and wins. I hate to lose.

baseball38 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

TobDog
08-28-2003, 12:40 AM
Probably in the wrong play and wins camo, but I can always learn how bad a play I made and not do it again, right? the closest to the best of both worlds, and yes, I think this is more geared to tourney players maybe NL & PL players too.

tobdog