PDA

View Full Version : Understanding

thomastem
08-27-2003, 12:29 PM
I received a PM from 2+2's moderator and I'm a little confused. This is a no jokes post.

The PM was headed "Receiving complaints" and the body read, "about your posts. So please refrain from the onion links and all other non-sequiturs"

I must confess I don't know the word "sequitur" and I tried MSN's dictionary and they don't have anything close in spelling. Does this mean non poker related topics or non poker links? Huge difference if anyone knows please let me know.

Regardless of what sequitar means I'm surprised that there were complaints that went to him when no one has given me negative feedback or complaints personally. Maybe I was raised wrong but I always tell a person if I have a problem with them, then as a last resort I would go to an "authority" with it.

Now since I have rampant complaints against me and I have no idea who is upset with me I will give you my view on my posts.

My posts are goofy or slapstick funny, at times they may seem childish. Some find it funny others don't. Those that don't are not forced to read my posts. Never are they Religous, Racial, or sexually discriminating. I personally find it sad that this stuff would offend multiple people to the point of complaining to Matt Skylanski without ever telling me that it bothered them.

So what do my barnyard animals and silly ramblings have to do with poker? In my opinion a ton! In one of Mike Cairo's articles he talks about getting people to enjoy playing with you and they won't mind losing their money to you. Point 1. If my style has people laughing or amuses them fish stay at the table longer specially on-line. Point 2 Every shark that has a harder time taking my play seriously for any period of time is positive EV, even if it's just 1 extra bet saved or earned on 1 hand by that shark. Point3 Tilt. I know no better way to get off tilt than a good belly laugh.

You may agree with my logic or you may not but I believe above explains it fairly well so you should understand it. Now I wish to understand 2 things:

1. What is Sequitar? If 2+2 wants me to stop posting or stop taking info from other sites I am happy to accomodate.

2. Those that complained what upset/offended you to so much as to complain without even trying to talk to me first?

I thought I added a different flavor but if I'm banned from posting in the future it isn't a negative EV to me. Just let me know Matt and as always I am happy to be civil.

Robk
08-27-2003, 01:14 PM
Have you seen my chicken?

Kurn, son of Mogh
08-27-2003, 01:36 PM
"non sequitor" is Latin, and basically means that which is irrelevant to a given topic.

For me, I will send an e-mail to 2+2 in your support. What's wrong with a little humor?

Abe
08-27-2003, 01:43 PM
Also some fun to be at same table with Thomastem at True. He asks the grumpy regulars if they have seen his Possem anywhere.

Cosimo
08-27-2003, 02:06 PM
it's "non sequitur", Latin, and it means "does not follow." For example, "all ships are boats, a submarine is a boat, hence a submarine is a ship." non sequitur: the conclusion does not follow. It's also used colloquially to describe absurd, illogical, or surreal statements.

thomastem
08-27-2003, 02:09 PM
Rob I'm missing mine as well maybe they are together. See I wouldn't try to get you banned for that. Thank you for helping make my point.

Kurn and Abe thanks for the kind words.

pokerfunnMyAss
08-27-2003, 02:20 PM
1. What is the onion link? I never saw it. Can you PM it to me?

2. I can't beleive someone would complain about your posts. They are a riot IMO.

3. Please keep posting Thomastem, I think you are one of the funniest new posters there are. As far as remaining OT, there is NO topic in the zoo, so keep posting here.

I'll bet it was that freaking weenie Hutz. Homer, can you talk to him? People in Sprinfield are supposed to have a sense of humor.

Finally, I have a mole named mat. He's uptight too. I give him Purina Mole-Chow with added prozac and vitamin E. It helps his attitude and is great for his coat.

(Love the Sky-lan-ski spelling, and respect you even MORE if that was intentional)

thomastem
08-27-2003, 02:22 PM
Thank you Cosimo. It looks like I can't say anything surreal or illogical anymore. Thank God they haven't done this at the poker table it would cost me money.

Matt your e-mail to me said "complaints". There is a difference between 2-3 friends complaining and 20 people irrate with me.

Are you sure you want to silence me and my poker image?

SirFoldsAlot
08-27-2003, 02:29 PM
I think you are getting correct implied odds to call them on this one /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

tiltboy
08-27-2003, 02:34 PM
Honestly, I think some of your chicken posts are getting old but then so are some (most/all?) of the things I post about. They certainly have never irritated me to the point that I would complain about them but if I was going to I would send you a PM first before I went to the mods.

Terry
08-27-2003, 02:38 PM
I can make a pound of mozzarella in 30 minutes.

HUSKER'66
08-27-2003, 02:39 PM
Probably someone is upset with your animal references and silly wit. Those of us that have come to know you through this forum take it all with a grain of salt. Try not to let it upset you and all the barnyard animals that you have in your closet. If it helps..... Johnny Bravo, Elvis , and I are in your corner. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Byrn
08-27-2003, 02:39 PM
I will add another supporting thomastem post. Don't read his posts if they bother you.

I am still waiting to hear the best strategy for playing pocket chickens in late position after a solid ep raiser.

thomastem
08-27-2003, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can make a pound of mozzarella in 30 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to see this!

thylacine
08-27-2003, 02:49 PM
I quickly gained the impression that you and your posts were a bit `funny' and that you had some kind of `funny' animal thing going on. But it's okay. You can tell us about it.

P.S. Don't forget the velcro gloves.

Terry
08-27-2003, 02:50 PM
Now you've gone and spoiled my "rebellious" non sequitur. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

http://www.leeners.com/cheesemaking.html

It's really good, too.

rusty JEDI
08-27-2003, 03:24 PM
Had to be those whiny bitches from those other forums. Uptight, too old, and they think they're so damn smart.

Keep it up thomas i think it's great. Also, when i played with you at true you had a bunch of the fish talking barnyard and it was definetly good for the game.

Kurn, son of Mogh
08-27-2003, 03:28 PM
To the people who complained I say "de gustabus non est dispudatum"

To Thomastem I say "iligimati non carborundum"

Wake up CALL
08-27-2003, 03:46 PM
You have my support as well Thomastem. Actually I skip over many posts in a given forum but when I see one of yours I make it a point to read and ocassionally respond. Keep up your witty posts please. Off topic in the Zoo huh? How funny!!

thomastem
08-27-2003, 04:07 PM
I appreciate all of the support. Where are the trouble makers? Not one of the complainers has posted yet. I wonder why?

Mr. Moderator how about some closure from you. I e-mailed you and stated that I will not change my table style and my posting style here mirrors my playing style. Knowing that I'm not changing can I post or do you wish that I just read the posts?

What ever you decide I will respect your decision.

XlgJoe
08-27-2003, 05:40 PM
I just had a chicken BBQ tonight. Does your chicken have any identifying marks.

Simon Diamond
08-27-2003, 05:46 PM
May well be worth adopting a popular saying used in my workplace from time to time - 'f**k em'.

I can't see any problem with your posts thomastem, and agree with the other guys supporting you. Keep up the good humoured fun /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Simon

thomastem
08-27-2003, 05:50 PM
No but he has an Ardvark as a pal that he always hangs around. He's also alergic to BBQ so I'm sure he won't crash your party.

jek187
08-27-2003, 05:52 PM
Just throwing my name into your corner as well. I will email Mat in your favor.

Mat Sklansky
08-27-2003, 06:35 PM
Carry on thomastem. Please, though, be careful not to offend.

Thanks for the cooperation.

By the way, are your little clucky friends free-range? I might want to buy their breasts.

Mat

MS Sunshine
08-27-2003, 07:42 PM
We have a clear winner here thomastem and it's you and all your barnyard friends. Personally I think it was the PETA folks that ratted you out.

MS Sunshine

thomastem
08-27-2003, 09:42 PM
Thanks everyone. My intention is not to offend anyone. Fun is no longer fun if it's at someone's expense.

Let's concentrate on this "Chickens and Gizzards do the Zoo at True." tomorrow night.

Hung
08-28-2003, 03:59 AM
Hey thomastem,

I like your animals and I've become attached to it. So I hope you want let them home when you visit us next time. We'll miss them all.

"non sequitor" is Latin, and basically means that which is irrelevant to a given topic.

Everyone knows Granny right? She makes really good posts but she also pops up with jokes and funny posts that have nothing to do with the subject. thomastem is doing the same and he's getting complaints. /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif
Am I the only one? But it's really tense in here. I don't post a lot anymore. I'll come and check some posts once in awhile. But it's not as fun as it used to be.
There's always someone complaining about someone else. I wish champ would come back so we could all complain about one single person. 2+2 has no chump anymore and I guess they're looking for a new chump.

Stagemusic
08-28-2003, 07:43 AM
Hey! If both your chickens are missing and together, could there be an omelet in our future???? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

thomastem
08-28-2003, 09:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey! If both your chickens are missing and together, could there be an omelet in our future???? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh my chickens lay eggs like you wouldn't believe, that why I need them they are like factory workers on an assembly line. We have been saving them for "The new Zoo in you at True" Tourney tonight. That's where my Peliacan comes in. We fill his beak with eggs and then he flies over the table and dive bombs. Now the buzzard just flies straight into you and the penguin comes at you where you can't see him but a huge shadow walking toward you (stricking fear in your gut) and bellows the chilling tune, Doo-be-do-be-doo.

I can't tell you what the stud bull and bison in heat are capable of.