PDA

View Full Version : Playing Poker on vacation

davidross
08-27-2003, 11:45 AM
Well I’m back from my vacation, if you can really have a vacation when you’re not working in the first place. My family has been going to Ocean Park Maine every year in August since I was born. I missed a few years when I moved to Toronto and was first married, but since my daughter was born in 1987 we’ve gone every year again. We rent a cottage on the beach, and my brother and sister share another one. My mother came for a few days too. This is the first time there without my dad, who died in January. It was a little strange to think he was body surfing with us last year at this time.

The cottage was rented last December and for the first time we rented for two weeks. Of course at that time I had no idea I would be out of work and we’d always wanted to stay 2 weeks. It’s 11 hours of driving for us, and 1 week passes so quickly. Money is a little tight these days so I thought I would try and see if I could play poker in the evenings to defray some of the costs. Unfortunately, when I called the rental agent I was told there was no telephone in the cottage so it was going to be difficult to get an internet connection. When I mentioned it to one of my more technical friends he suggested using my cell phone as a modem. I did some investigating and it seemed to be feasible as long as there was 1X service where I was going. According to the web site Portland Maine has 1X service, and that’s only 10 miles from where we were going so I decided to take a chance. I still had some concerns about the signal. Quite often in these cottages, cell phones wouldn’t work due to interference. Although it has been much better in recent years. I spent $100 cdn, to buy the kit that included the cable and the software necessary to use my cell phone as a modem, and another $100 for unlimited data transfer for the month and no roaming charges from the US. I tried to borrow a laptop, but ended up renting one for $150. So I was $350 in the hole before leaving.

We break up the trip by staying at my Sister in laws house in Montreal on the way there and on the way home, so on Friday we drove to Montreal and spent the night. They have a beautiful home with a pool, and I quickly set up my lap top to try it out. It worked perfectly. It was heaven. I was outside by the pool with a cold beer playing poker. And I won a little bit too. I discovered the only shortcoming of my plan. The phone is poorly designed. The connection is on the bottom of the phone, and while it is being used it won’t fit in the charger, so my connection time is limited to the life of the battery, around 2 hours and 20 minutes I discovered.

On Saturday we continued on to Maine and I kept checking my phone to see if the 1X symbol would appear. As we exited the highway it did. I unpacked the car in record time and hooked everything up to give it a test run and it worked great. I played every night for as long as the battery would last and had a lot of success the first week, winning around $800. The second week was a different story however as I lost for 5 consecutive nights. Small losses, but losses nonetheless. Finally I put 2 nice wins together on the last 2 nights and ended up $1,100 up for the 2 week vacation. Certainly covered the $350 investment.

Each year we are there I rush over to Borders to check out the poker books. Much better selection than I get here at home. Last year I bought, Theory of Poker, Tournament Poker, the Psychology of Poker and Feeney’s book which I have mentioned before as my favorite. This summer I bought 3 more. I got The Amarillo slim bio, which I just loved. I also bought “Telling Lies and getting Paid” a collection of 14 gambling stories. It was entertaining, and the last story is the authors experience at 3 consecutive WSOP finals, and that was worth the price of the book. Finally I bought Phil Hellmuth’s book. The Jury is still out on this one, since I’m reading the hold’em sections again, but my losing streak coincided with reading this one. He recommends play so much more aggressive than I usually am it took me right out of my comfort zone. I think it might be a little like the great ball players who make lousy coaches. They can’t figure out why everyone can’t play like them.

Yesterday was my first full day back and I had a horrible afternoon at Party. I lost over $250 which is my biggest loss ever there. I hope it was just bad cards but I’m not entirely sure. I sense a couple of problems with my game lately. I don’t know if the 2 hour limitation had something to do with it, but I think I’m playing more hands in the wrong places, and I think I’m playing over-aggressive. I seem to be getting out kicked a lot, and not winning many big pots. Maybe just a short term variation but I need to watch it.

I returned to Paradise last night. After my tough afternoon I decided to try something new. I played 2 5/10 games at paradise, and 2 3/6 games at Party. I did this for about 2 hours, then took a break to put kids to bed. When I came back I played 1 5/10 game at paradise and 3 3/6 games at Party. I ended up winning $650 at paradise, but losing another $100 at Party. I played much tighter at Paradise (The game dictated that more than any preference of mine) and I’m sure that had something to do with it. I think I will try that again tonight. The 4 games is quite a challenge, no watching TV while that’s going on.

It’s good to be home. Still no job prospects, so I’ll be grinding it out for a little while longer. Cya at the tables.

DesertEagle
08-27-2003, 11:57 AM
Hey David,

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your vaction, and even more glad to hear you won some $$ while you were away...

I just wanted to comment on your time-limitation playing problems...

I had similar problems this year when I would make late-night trips to Brantford with my room-mates... I'd wait on the list for maybe an hour, then when I finally got my seat I felt as if every hand might be my last (my room-mates play roulette, and their $$ never last very long)...

I play horribly under these conditions... Even hand and every situation seems to be the "right" spot to make a move, when surely it is not...

I play equally poorly online when I play on a tight schedule... If I sit down and I know I only have 20 minutes or so, I get hyper-agressive, and that doens't work too well in low-limit games especially...

I have found that I play much more patiently when I'm playing multiple tables... I find it hectic when I'm involved in hands on all my tables at the same time, so I'll often fold marginal hands on one table in order to concentrate on a higher EV hand on another table...

I don't have too much advice for you on how to fix the problem, except to do what I do - I only play now when I know I have enough time to get in a good session (at least an hour). Not very original advice, but effective enough (at least for me)...

good luck...

Cigwin
08-27-2003, 12:57 PM
I'm very new at playing and also at this forum. I've been having huge swings lately at the 2/4 tables at Party. I also recognized quick losses when I tried to fit in a half an hour or even an hour of play. Pretty sure it's my bad playing. But another issue I sometimes have during longer sessions is boredom. After many orbits with garbage cards and just posting the blinds, I find myself limping in with more small pairs and suited connectors just trying to get some action. Any suggestions on how to overcome this?

Thanks,

Den

Cosimo
08-27-2003, 01:49 PM
As davidross says, you can overcome the boredom by playing multiple tables. =) When you see the flop, you have to concentrate much harder on that hand, which makes it that much easier to fold marginal hands on the other table(s).

Alternately, you might try keeping extremely detailed records on your opponents. Although this isn't something you'd want to do every day, and PokerTracker does much of what you'd do anyway, giving your mind something to do staves off the boredom that leads to bad play.

DKNY
08-27-2003, 02:29 PM

davidross
08-27-2003, 05:25 PM
I may not be the best person to give advice on this since I think I am guilty of a lack of parience myself, but it's a discipline and experience issue.

Everyone of us (That I know anyway) played many more hands when we first started out. Experience taught us which hands were not profitable and we dropped them. You will go through the same stage.

Discipline is what you'll need when your experience tells yuo to fold, but the part of your brain that craves the action tells you to take a shot. All I can say about that is every good player has discipline. You can't get to that level until you develop it. Pull a TOmmy and fold AA pre-flop if you have to, but get used to clicking fold.

Now I need to re-read that and remember it.

J.R.
08-27-2003, 06:04 PM
Remeber that unlike a tourist on a trip to vegas, the computer is always there (hopefully), and this is just one session. Playing multiple tables helps me. I find its better to quit when the urge to play crap arises than to succomb to the urge. Playing poker on a computer without the goal of winning money seems rather a waste of time/boring to me, so I don't do it. Hiking, softball, interacting with people, eating, working out, watching tv, snowboarding, and partying are much more enjoyable endeavors for me.

It may seem odd, as I have a pretty good job, but I think of my poker account as means to an end(goal). For me my goals are to pay off my graduate school debt, to have cash for vacations and nice gifts for my girlfriend (and maybe one of those gifts will make her my fiance). So every stupid limp I make compromises my goals of a debt-free, vacation ladden life with the woman of my dreams. Maybe there's some hyperbole there, but I find that playing towards a goal (not just money, which can become rote) keeps me focused. Find something you really want, and tell yourself you will buy it when you earn enough. Plasma TV, vacation, new rims, a stereo- whatever motivates you. If there is a end to your efforts, a time when you know you will reap the rewards of your efforts when you reach your goal, you may find your concentration wanes less often. Good luck.

rigoletto
08-27-2003, 06:21 PM
Welcome home buddy. Not much to say except I hope your vacation offered more than online poker. Oh, maybe I should ad that you seem to be a solid player from all your posts so far /images/graemlins/wink.gif

jasonHoldEm
08-27-2003, 07:26 PM
Hiya David,

Glad to hear things went well on vacation, I had stopped by your table (to talk) briefly, I guess it was one of those nights where you were having a bad run...had me worried poker was going to ruin your vacation or something, anyways, super to hear it went well.

I might become a davidross jr of sorts over the next couple weeks. I just moved home with my parents and will be looking for work in this area, but the bills are still coming in (not to mention student loan payments starting in December) so I'll probably have to start skimming some of my profits off to help cover my bills until I find work. I just hope I can get to 3/6 before I have to do so (just made it to 2/4 this week).

Anyways, take care and best of luck.

jHE

davidross
08-27-2003, 09:06 PM
I had such a good time. Aside from catching up with my family, we meet friends there each summer too. We were in the Ocean every day, going to amusement parks at night, and just sitting on the deck drinking beer when the kids were in bed. I think I had lobster 5 times, and I know I gained 6 pounds.

GrinningBuddha
08-27-2003, 09:19 PM
If I were to think up a dream vacation david, what you've described here would sure be near the top of the list. You got to relax for two weeks in the ocean, spend time with your loved ones and friends, eat lobster, and come home $750 richer than when you left. That's just nifty.

Good luck on the tables and with the resumes!

balt999
08-27-2003, 11:31 PM
Big davidross,

Playing poker on your vacation?? It's a little nutty...glad to see you back..

davidross
08-28-2003, 03:11 AM
I probably should have installed a computer system instead since my occupation has changed.

zamora
08-28-2003, 06:49 AM
great to have you back, david. your posts are always at the top of my list.
about your game i have to agree with you that you are much more agressive than before.
i played a couple of hands with you yesterday and i actually thought to my self that this guy must have had a frustrating vacation since he is pounding so damn hard /images/graemlins/smile.gif

two hands from yesterday just to make my point. (i hope you don´t mind).

in one you had A8s and raised preflop. got reraised and kept betting out on turn and river when an ace and two queens fell on flop and turn. no flush draws.
the other guy had AK and won. this is maybe not a very bad play from you since you guys where heads up after the flop and the preflop re-raiser just called you down, but i think that the pre-vacation dave would probably have slowed down at least on the river, if he would be in the hand at all.

on the other you limped with 34spades. the pot got raised and you called.
two spades fell on the flop (Ts, 2s, Th) and you checked to the raiser. he bets out, you are the only one left, and a couple of seconds later you two had capped both the flop and turn (6h). (he had ATo by the way).
the spade fell on the river and you took it down.
a great play in retrospect but capping a 4 high flush draw + inside straight draw heads up is at least outside of my comfort zone.

i am not telling you how to play, of course. you had a good session at my table and my own game are in no comparison to yours. Maybe the rest of us HPFAP nerds needs a little hellmuthian attitude.

anyway, great to read about your week and i will see you at the table.

take care
zamora

DesertEagle
08-28-2003, 09:20 AM
Hey David...

as a man who is obviusly good with computers, maybe you should write some software for all of us novices that will shut-down our computers for a minimum of 30 minutes every time we call with a crappy hand that we should have folded...

lol...

(joking obviously, but some nights I wish I had this kind of watch-dog software)

Oh another note, when you guys started playing, did you have set starting standards for a given position??

I did, and I had them written out on a sheet, and I'd have that sheet in front of me every time I played back on PokerRoom.com. I did very well back in those days playing mainly $1-2. I won $1400 in 6 months, playing about twice a week (on average).

Then I started reading more and more books, and more advanced books, and that's when I started trying to "make plays". Once you make your way toward becomming an advanced player, you find you make a lot of adjustments based on game texture, especially with pre-flop hand selection. I find I used this as an excuse to play more hands, and to contiune longer than I would have with lesser holdings.

I kept thinking things like "I only have second pair, so maybe I'll re-raise and try and get heads up with him in case he'd betting on the come". That kinda stuff.

Needless to say my judgement was horribly off, and my performace sucked!! I broke even for the next 3 months, so I guess it wasn't the end of the world.

Eventually, after another 10,000 hands or so, I started picking my spots better, and I think that's the key to all the techniques outlined in books like HPFAP. The mechanics of check raising to thin the field are simple, but the judgement necessary to use the play effectively and in the right situation is what makes the play work....

I seem to have fun off on some wild tangent here, so I'll just stop typing at get back to work (did I mention how boring my job is?)...

Let me know if any of you guys went through a similar transition, and I'll keep you guys posted on my progress down the road to "experienced" player /images/graemlins/smile.gif

davidross
08-28-2003, 12:20 PM
I certainly used a chart when I started. The first book I bought was Lou Krieger's book and on the back page had a chart with what you could play from early, middle and late positions. THen I discovered Abdul's chart and I loved it. It is based on places off the button and I find it works great especially if the table is shorthanded. I don't have to re-define early, middle and late. KJo is playable 3 off the button in an unraised pot. If we're 6 handed, that means UTG it can be played.

I stuck with that for a long time, but started making adjustments for th egames I was playing. I began to play any pair from any position and any suited connector too. THis worked well in low limit passive games, but started to backfire at the tighter paradise 5/10 games. So I adjusted again.

Playing the multiple tables I am now I've gotten much tighter and I'm following the Abdul chart again pretty closely. I make adjustments if there are limpers ahead of me but that's about it.

davidross
08-28-2003, 12:35 PM
I remember both those hands and you are right about the over-aggression. On the 2nd hand I wasn't playing my hand as much as I was playing his. I wanted to represent the T and just played it as if I had a Ten no matter what. Picked a bad time to do it because he had the T. I didn't think he would raise with AT, so I put him on AK, AQ or a big pair. I figured he would just call me down with the overpair, so when he kept raising I decided he was trying to push me off and I raised back. By the time it was clear he had a T, I lucked out and made my flush on the river. Great advertising anyway.

On the A8s hand, I think I was in LP or even on the button (I won't normally raise that hand otherwise), and got re-raised. When the A flopped I was going to see the showdown so I just bet until raised. Probably saved a bet because I would have called his raise.

THe extra aggression is adding some volatility to my results. I'm getting more from drawing hands that miss and of course losing more when I'm beat. I haven't decided yet if it's worth it, and I don't know of course if I've made any better hands lay down.

unome
08-28-2003, 06:36 PM
Watch out for those pocket 6s..... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

You seemed to have recovered nicely by the time I left. How'd you end up on the night?

davidross
08-29-2003, 01:27 PM
I had a big win on the other table, but stayed down about $200 on the "QUADS" table. Up $100 for the session.