PDA

View Full Version : Poll Question

08-15-2002, 10:41 AM
Words are selected for inclusion into dictionaries based on how words are used by speakers of the language. My nomination for inclusion in the next dictionary from American Heritage or Mirriam-Websters is "google," which will be a verb meaning "to search the web." How many think it's appropriate for inclusion?

08-15-2002, 12:28 PM
John,

I guess it is a good idea although there are other search tools out there. Some good ones are Wisenut and AllTheWeb but Google sounds a lot better.

You might “Xerox” a copy of this post using a Cannon photocopier, but everybody knows what you are doing. So I assume “Xerox” would be in your dictionary too.

Regards,

Rick

08-15-2002, 01:15 PM
Rick,

Yes; "xerox" with a lower case "X" is a verb and included in Mirriam-Websters, and I'm sure, most other dictionaries, too.

John

08-15-2002, 03:14 PM
I prefer "google" as an adjective rather than a verb.

"I'll google and get you an answer." sounds pretty lame.

"Do a google search." has the connotation of "extensive" or "ehaustive".

Of course as a noun we might get a commercial like,

"I'm a google, he's a google, she's a google, they're a google, wouldn't you like to be a google, too?"

08-15-2002, 05:29 PM
Personally I dislike the trend to turn corporate names into parts of speech. I know there is precedence but I think it pollutes the language, not to mention gives free advertising to said company. Not everyone uses Google to search the web and it does not seem accurate to say one "googles" if they prefer another search engine.

I would hate to see made up marketing and trademark words like "nite" et al make it into the dictionary on the heels of words like "google".

KJS

08-15-2002, 06:27 PM
It would be good for a couple of reasons. People who hear the word in the next year or so, and who don't know what it means, can look it up and be informed. People who come across it in a couple of years, after google has been replaced, can look it up and know what it meant.

08-15-2002, 09:40 PM
KJS,

Here's one "made up" spelling--"doubt." Of course, hundreds of years later, we don't even think about it anymore.

But, I hate "nite" too.

John

08-17-2002, 10:58 PM
??????????/