PDA

View Full Version : Dolly Parton Sings Led Zeppelin

08-15-2002, 12:02 AM
Violating the ol' self-imposed but this can't wait.

Dolly Parton has just released a bluegrass album called "Halos & Horns". There is a cover of, yes, Stairway To Heaven, its ownself, on it, which was playing at Borders today when I was there.

It, er, rocks. Seriously. I mean, like, I'm going to buy it, and I hate country, and at least thought I hated bluegrass.

Sounds fantastic & gives a whole new perspective to the tiredest of FM warhorses. I wish the whole album was Zep covers. Every other Zep cover I can think of has sucked, 'cept maybe Heart's Battle Of Evermore. Remember that Econimium thing from '96? Bleech. Who'd'a thunk it, but it works.

Dolly rules. And her voice is slightly better right now than Plant's croak.

Anyone remember that Butthole Surfers album Hairway To Steven? Coolest song titles ever[inside joke].

Back in the box....

p.s. PGA? Tiger -12, Els -9, Serge & Phold -8.

p.p.s Sklansky's JJ problem? Raise 9 call 7 fold 5[only cos DS said nothing lower than 5, but would anybody REALLY fold here?].

08-15-2002, 12:51 AM
Dave Grohl on Kilborn. He didn't really know the words too well, but he did do the guitar solos vocally. It is very funny and worth checking out. You can find it with any of those P2P file sharing programs (Kazaa, Morpheus, etc...)

08-15-2002, 03:45 AM
their name has been besmirched enough already.

encomium blew. blew goats. and swallowed.

Jimmy Page rerecorded the guitar tracks for P.Daddy to completely rape Kashmir for the Godzilla sndtrk. and it blew. i was almost in tears when i heard it/heard about it.

good Zep covers are hard to come by. i cringe when i hear you speak of D.Parton covering Stairway (though its my personal least favorite to listen to, since i happen on it plenty flipping through the FM dial). but, if you really recommend it with all those disclaimers, mayeb i'll give it a listen (probably find it online somewhere). and i would like to see the D.Grohl thing. that's one i DON'T automatically assume will be bad. plus, kudos to anybody who can vocally reproduce a Zep guitar solo. i and a friend sat in our regular restaraunt one night a couple years ago sharing headphones and listening to 'The Song Remains the Same' and we each reproduced the guitar AND bass lines for the entire album. and that's a live one, so you gotta know it pretty well to be able to do that. im kinda proud in a geeky sorta way that i was able to do that.

i do love the Zep, though. best band ever, man.

08-15-2002, 01:35 PM
Whenever I see old clips of Plant singing, I'm always amazed at how good his voice WAS. Yeah, Zeppelin is definitely one of the top bands ever. Certainly my favorite. I'll take the good and toss out the bad. Plant is an asshole and his solo stuff was crap. Don't get me started on the Honeydrippers. Zep III is my personal favorite.

08-15-2002, 01:39 PM
Forgot about "Live At The Greek" by the Black Crowes & Pagey. That was pretty good. Steve Gorman came surprisingly close to Bonzo on "Nobody's Fault But Mine".

Baggins, being as you ruined my day by reminding me of Kash-zilla[didja ever see the video?], I'm now going to ruin yours..... Coverdale/Page.

BTW Dolly's "Stairway" is cool. Really. Check it out.

08-15-2002, 04:36 PM
oh god. coverdale/page... you had to?

live at the greek w/black crowes is a pretty cool album. im kicking myself for missing that tour. when i heard about it, i thought 'if there is any rock and roll band that even comes close to doing Zep songs with J.Page live, it's the Black Crowes.' and hearing the album (which i don't have, but i've been meaning to pick up) reinforced that.

i'll check out the D.Parton cover, when i get a chance.

08-15-2002, 04:39 PM
when i saw Page/Plant live, i thought he did alright for an old guy who did as many f***ed up things to his body as he did. the second time i saw them (for the Walking Into Clarkesdale album), i felt that their entire sound was unbelievably more relaxed, and had a warmer, more comfortable, "we are actually doing this because we love it, not because we need the cash" sound to it. so, Plant sure ain't what he used to be, but he's not bad considering. as far as being an asshole, well, everybody had to do SOMETHING in the '80s right?