PDA

View Full Version : Bellagio and Mirage

andyfox
08-26-2003, 11:21 PM
In Las Vegas for a trade show, I was able to get in a couple of hours play at both the Mirage and Bellagio on Monday. No Mason or David sightings, nor anyone else I know from 2+2.

First stop was the Mirage. I played 10-20. Very uncomfortable seating with 10 people at the table. I could barely get into my seat. As soon as I wedged myself in, I was told that as soon as I could, to please take the rack off the table. Trying to do this was like trying to take a single sardine out of the can intact with your toes.

Of course, I dropped a bunch of chips. I picked them up laboriously. I was missing one. I kept looking for it in between hands. Finally, after about a full round, the dealer asked me what I was looking for. Gee, what did he think it could be? I told him a chip. He asked me if it was a redbird (a $5 chip). Well, let me see I bought in for a rack and now I had 4 stacks of 20 and 1 of 19, what chip could I be looking for. Anyway, I say yes, and he throws me one. Oh yes, he says, it was all the way over by him. Hmm.

I sat through 4 dealers, one worse than the next. Two pots were given to the wrong player (the players told the dealer, the cards were turned back over, and the pot correctly awarded.) There were several misdeals. A lot of talking from the box and not a lot of paying attention.

The cards were sticky, bent and delapidated. The chairs exceedingly uncomfortable. Two fish were donating quite generously. My pre-flop 3-bet with K-Q was the source of extensive conversation. (The got to see my hand because I end up with kings full of queens and earned 4 big bets on the river.) Hands are endlessly rehashed and replayed by experts and pseudo-experts. FWIW, I won $380.

At the Bellagio, I started in the 15-30, didn't play a hand, and moved to the 30-60. (One hand I did play in the 30-60 has been posted on the middle/hi limit forum.) Much more comfortable place. The seats are not as close together and are much more accommodating to old and decrepit spines such as mine. Better dealers. A very loose game, which has been my experience every time I've played in Las Vegas. It's only been about a dozen times and always during a big trade show, but it seemed all the players except me were regulars, not tourists in town for the show. FWIW, I won about $500.

Much less aggressive play than is the norm here in L.A. at the 30-60 level. Lots of times I saw players flop top pair and not raise on any street. Again, lots of post-mortem Monday morning quarterbacking and about the same ratio of a-holes as in a typical Commerce game. One guy got very agitated because the two players on either side of him were carrying on a conversation while he was involved in a hand. He was stuck two racks, so that evidently was what caused him to let unleash an f-bomb rant. Very good floorman (Boba? or some name like that?) and another fellow that came over during this disturbance handled things well too.

All in all, and with all due respect, the rooms seem like minor league operations compared to Commerce. The no smoking policy is a welcome breadth of fresh air.

For those who might have espied me without knowledge of it, I was the 50 year old bald white guy with a gray beard carrying his own pillow and a folder full of paperwork.

jkinetic
08-27-2003, 02:30 AM
LA is uncut coke, LV is bisquick.

In the 2 years that I have played poker in LV while visiting, I have never seen a tourist get a decision over a local by a floorperson at the Mirage or Bellagio.

How long does it take to fill seats in a game at the Bellagio? I have played in a 30/60 game with 4 empty seats with a list that is long enough to start 2 other tables while the floorpeople are too busy chatting it up with some "pro".

Can I get checks from the chip runner w/o feeling obligated to tip them as they wait there as long as it takes until I
realize why they are still there?

And then there are the poker "professors"... the saddest sacks of them all. Reciting chapter and verse from various books that they have read. They play so ABC that we Westside Players run circles around them.

The best poker players and poker rooms are located west of the Hoover Dam.

Westside til we die...

mike l.
08-27-2003, 04:01 AM
"Hands are endlessly rehashed and replayed by experts and pseudo-experts."

ah see you met dynasty and clark after all!

"One guy got very agitated because the two players on either side of him were carrying on a conversation while he was involved in a hand. He was stuck two racks, so that evidently was what caused him to let unleash an f-bomb rant."

and mason too!

"carrying his own pillow and a folder full of paperwork."

for napping between bi-hourly hands and copious notes? talk about your table image!

good trip report andy. i had a feeling youd do well there, cant stand 10 handed either. about 8 hours in the bellagio chairs throws my back in spasms though, seriously, so i guess we part on that issue.

Clarkmeister
08-27-2003, 01:47 PM
"All in all, and with all due respect, the rooms seem like minor league operations compared to Commerce."

I'd like to say you had an unusual experience, but the Mirage and Bellagio are, in fact, two poorly run cardrooms. Compared to LA, they are borderline embarassing.

The Bellagio dealers are definitely better than the Mirage dealers, but I don't think either room has anything to write home about.

And sadly, the armchair quarterbacking never -ever- stops.

I was in Mesquite last weekend, sorry I missed you.

jen
08-27-2003, 04:29 PM
Hey Andy - Sounds like a profitable if uncomfortable trip.

I was surprised at the Bellagio 30-60 table too. The behavior of the patrons that I saw is similar to what I've experienced at the lower limit tables here in the SF area. When I first sat down, some stranger made a number of gender-related comments obviously intending to inflame. And two guys got into a heated argument for some time because one guy kept asking to see the other guy's hand -- a floorman had to be called.

You should come play here in the Bay -- there are some pleasant rooms in which to play and a bunch of 2+2ers. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

JimRivett
08-27-2003, 05:34 PM
FWIW, I won about $500.

FWIW, I won $380

Good, next time I see you, lunch is on you /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

FWIW, I agree with you on your comparison between LA and LV.

Regards, Jim