PDA

View Full Version : not the flop I wanted, but I did get a piece of it

rjc199
08-26-2003, 10:05 PM
I think this one may be in that category:

Party 0.5/1 loose-passive (as usual).

I'm in the SB with [ K /images/graemlins/club.gif , T /images/graemlins/club.gif ]

UTG folds, UTG+1 open-raises (never seen a raise from her before, I put her on at least JJ), folded to me in the SB and I call (strike 1?). BB calls also. 3 to the flop.

Flop [ K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A /images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif ]

The flop sortof hit me. I have 2nd pair mediocre kicker. I bet out to test the preflop raiser with the intention of folding to a raise (meaning she has either AA, AK, or KK in her hand, QQ and JJ I have beaten). The BB calls and the PFR calls.

Turn [ 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif ]

Nothing has changed. I bet out and the same 2 call.

River [ J /images/graemlins/club.gif ]

I bet same 2 call.

Results later. How did I play this? Would you play it any differntly?

JTG51
08-26-2003, 10:16 PM
If you think UTG has at least JJ, calling before the flop was very bad, and so was betting on the flop.

Joe Tall
08-26-2003, 10:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I put her on at least JJ), folded to me in the SB and I call (strike 1?).

[/ QUOTE ]

So you pray that she has exactly JJ, QQ and not AA, KK, AK or AQ?

The preflop call is bad. Betting the flop and folding to a raise may be ok. I think you got lucky and she did have exactly JJ or QQ.

rjc199
08-26-2003, 10:27 PM
I'm not really convinced of that calling was a bad play if the raiser had JJ or QQ (it would be bad vs AA and KK and AK no doubt). Sure he has me beaten now, but "the flop is the nexus of the hand". If I hit a king or a flush draw aren't I +ev vs the raiser?

rjc199
08-26-2003, 10:42 PM
Preflop raiser showed down QQ.
BB had A8o to take down the pot.

JTG51
08-26-2003, 10:43 PM
I'm not really convinced of that calling was a bad play if the raiser had JJ or QQ (it would be bad vs AA and KK and AK no doubt).

You are calling a raise out of position against a player that will have a better hand than you every time. Some of the time you'll be in bad shape, and most of the time you'll be in really, really bad shape.

If AA-JJ, and AK is a reasonable range of raising hands for your opponent, you are going to be about a 5-1 underdog 28% of the time (vs AA and KK), about a 2.5-1 underdog 36% of the time (vs AK), and about a 2-1 36% of the time (vs QQ and JJ).

rjc199
08-26-2003, 10:48 PM
If I have more callers is this a correct call or is it still a bad call? KJs is a group 3 hand, so I figured it would be worth a call, but since this is 3 way things change.

JTG51
08-26-2003, 10:51 PM
Yes, with several other callers I'd call.

lil'
08-26-2003, 10:51 PM
If she has J-J or Q-Q you have 3 outs to an overpair. If she has A-A or K-K you have no outs to an overpair. The odds of getting the flush are 20 to 1 (I think, or thereabouts...). You're only getting a little better than 2:1 on your call pre-flop.

rjc199
08-26-2003, 11:02 PM
lol.

I had KTs which is group 4. My arguments for calling with this hand get worse and worse.

No doubt this was a loose call. KTs is a speculative hand and I don't have enuff callers for implied odds. I'm behind to begin with. My ten kicker stinks. Definately a loose call that costed me money.