PDA

View Full Version : AKo in EMP

rjc199
08-26-2003, 09:51 PM
Party 0.5/1 loose-passive

In EMP I get A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif

1 EP limper, I raise, 3 cold callers, the sb calls, and the bb calls. 6 people and 6 BB's

Flop [ 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif, 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif ]

BB bets, I raise, button cold calls, and both blinds call. I raised because I have big cards, a backdoor straight, and I want to charge straight draws money. There is now 10 BB's in the pot.

Turn [ 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif ]

Checked to me and I check? Button bets, both blinds call, I'm getting 13:1 for this last card. I fold? My reasoning is that the button has cold called the flop. I think he now has the straight. I'm still drawing (thin I think), and if I do catch the 5 I will be splitting the pot with everybody or losing to any 7. Why in the world did I even include a backdoor straight in my list of outs when I end up folding when one of the cards comes?

River [ 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif ]

buttons bets, BB calls.

Results later.

How did I play this? What would you do differently?

JTG51
08-26-2003, 10:02 PM
I raised because I have big cards, a backdoor straight...

Your backdoor straight draw on the flop is worthless. To make your straight you need a 2 and a 5, which would make a 6 high straight on the board.

It's OK to fold on the flop after you raised preflop and missed. Raising here is fine sometimes, but you're going to get yourself in trouble if you make this your default play.

Homer
08-26-2003, 10:20 PM

I would have folded on the flop. You are in a multiway pot with nothing and the board is very coordinated.

-- Homer

rjc199
08-26-2003, 10:45 PM
Button had 45 clubs.
BB had Q6o.

Stu Pidasso
08-26-2003, 11:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold on the flop.

A lot of players don't win as much as they should with AKo becuase they don't know when to release it. Take this situation. You raised preflop and got six callers. With this many players its wvery unlikely you will win with AKo unimproved. The flop comes and its a complete airball. Another poster alluded to the problems with the backdoor straight, and your over card outs might not be any good as well (lots of players at this limit like to play A4s K6s, etc).

When UTG bets into you(knowing there are four other players after you who still need to act), hes hoping you will raise with overcards and knock every one out for him. He does this becuase he has some sort of hand and wants to protect it. So at this point you know you are behind to a made hand. Anyone who calls two cold on the flop is doing so becuase they either have a draw to a hand that will destroy any hope you have of winning, or they are planning to skin you and UTG with there flopped monster on the turn.

Don't be UTGs bitch-servant. Release and take comfort in knowing you optimized your play with AKo in this hand. The next hand is only seconds away.

Stu