PDA

View Full Version : Bankroll requirements

Dolores
08-26-2003, 06:58 PM
Anyone wanna take a guess as to what the minimum bankroll you would need to play 100-200 hold em at pstars? And how much for shorthanded as well? Against a typical field?

Please dont refer me to Malmuths essay- ive read it.

Just curious- if anyone has a guess- based on field strength- hands/hr. etc.

Robk
08-26-2003, 07:27 PM
Ah- edited. Thought the game was 50 100 for some reason. It should make sense now.

Say you can win 75/hr. Your SD should be in the neighborhood of 15BB/hr. You would want about (9*3000^2)/4*75 = 270000. Mason says in the essay that this is probably not enough, and you should inflate the number by about 15%. So a little more than 310000 should do.

BruceZ
08-26-2003, 07:46 PM
Let's start using the proper formula and stating the risk of ruin. Your assumptions and bankroll give a risk of ruin of 0.6%. Every $41,589 that you remove from your bankroll will double your risk of ruin. So if you want a 4.8% risk of ruin, your bankroll requirement would be reduced by $124,766 to $182,193.

bankroll formulas (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=207170&page=&view=&sb =5&o=&vc=1)

Dolores
08-26-2003, 07:46 PM
How many guys playing are properly bankrolled?

Of those not properly bankrolled- how many dont realize how much you really need?

Online poker has truly highlighted everyone's strengths and failings.

Potless
08-27-2003, 07:08 AM
How many guys playing are properly bankrolled?
not many
Of those not properly bankrolled- how many dont realize how much you really need?
most all of them

The guys who take a shot have a few success stories and many bruised egos - why would you play the biggest game against the best players as opposed to a smaller one against lesser players? I can only think that everyone wants to be the best. Maybe some of our shot taking zoo colleagues can explain it.

SwordFish
08-28-2003, 04:52 AM
Hi Bruce -

I'm not disputing your calculations, but your formula determines the bankroll needed by a player who is going to play 100/200 for a living. I may be wrong, but I think Dolores was asking what size bankroll one should have to play at this limit, not play for a living at this limit.
If this is the case, I think the standard 300BB bankroll or $60,000 would be appropriate. Either way I won't be at that table any time soon. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

SF

BruceZ
08-28-2003, 03:04 PM
I'm not disputing your calculations, but your formula determines the bankroll needed by a player who is going to play 100/200 for a living. I may be wrong, but I think Dolores was asking what size bankroll one should have to play at this limit, not play for a living at this limit.
If this is the case, I think the standard 300BB bankroll or $60,000 would be appropriate.

If you just want to play, I think you normally need 10 big bets to buy-in. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

My calculation is for anyone who doesn't want to lose their bankroll. Remember, if you are going to lose your bankroll, it will happen sooner rather than later, i.e., even if you play recreationally you can easily accumulate enough hours to realize the risk of ruin I calculate. If you have 60K, and your EV is 75/hr with an SD of 15 big bets, you will lose your 60K with a probability of 36.8%. Heh, it happens to work out to exactly 1/e in this case. This is the problem with applying rules of thumb like "300 big bets" to very large games with high SDs and low win rates.

Of course if you are willing to step down in limits when you lose part of your bankroll, you don't need nearly as much, but that just means your 100/200 bankroll wasn't as big as you said, and you WILL be stepping down with even greater probability.

clovenhoof
08-28-2003, 03:10 PM
Almost all of them are properly bankrolled.

The only ones who aren't are those who are plus players. There is no minimum bankroll requirement for a losing player. Just sit on down and give 'em what you got....

'hoof

lefty rosen
08-28-2003, 03:53 PM
I think confidence in your game is the most important more than your bankroll. Once you have a game clocked your roll size needs to be 50 percent as much. At pokerrooms soft 1/2 fulltable games I got by with a relatively small 150BB roll and was plus 6500(includes some 2/4 shorttable and full). At Pacific's 2/4 I have gotten by with a 100 to 125 BB roll and I am plus 4200 at the site. When you are weakly laying down 99,10 to an obvious position slash that's when your roll is too small.......... _