PDA

View Full Version : Diary of an online poker player #8

GrinningBuddha
08-26-2003, 03:56 AM
Day 40 – A good night

Poker is a the most enjoyable form of masochism that I know of. When the cards are falling for you, you wonder why you do anything but play poker. When the cards turn their backs on you, you wonder why you ever even took up the game. Or alternatively, you wonder why your opponents ever took up the game given the way they play. Gluttons for punishment are we.

It was a good night tonight. I played 3 hours and took home not only a $51.25 win from the .50/1.00 tables, but also scored a $5 Sit n Go win as well, for a net $70.25 gain.

My wife has recently started playing, and like Felicia Lee, she enjoys the Sit n Go action primarily, with ring games filling out her schedule. I decided to try my hand at one, since I haven’t had a chance to since I started at Party. AQ and AJ came through for me in a big way, both making broadway to put me over the top. I bided my time until we were down to two, and turned on the aggression. Luckily my opponent was quite passive and enjoyed paying off my marginal hands, allowing me to climb back from about a 2:1 chip deficit. Very satisfying.

At about the same time, my ring game hands heated up as well, and what had been a 15 BB loss turned into a big win as my big hands held up. When you make quads out of the big blind with J4o, you know you’ve got something going for you. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

So now I find myself with 133 BB for 1-2, and I aim to follow through on my plan of moving up by trading in one of my .50/1.00 tables for a 1-2 table next session. In my limited exposure to the 1-2 tables, they seem to play slightly tighter than the .50/1.00 tables, but still without flair or real poker sense. Hopefully this time it won’t be quite as streaky. :P

As it’s late and I don’t have access to my Poker Tracker demo on this computer, I’ll follow up this post with some discoveries I’ve made after 1000 hands of micro-limit poker. Granted, there will lots of statistical anomalies with such a small sample size, but it’ll be worth examining in any event. I’ll be getting a full copy of Poker Tracker soon.

Onward and upward we go…

GrinningBuddha
08-26-2003, 01:40 PM
Highlights of the first 1000 hands (more or less)

Saw 25.5% of flops (with blinds)
Saw 15.8% of flops (without blinds)

Won 50% of my showdowns
Raised pre-flop 5.2% of the time

I folded 75% of my hands pre-flop, and 2% of my hands on the river
I cold-called pre-flop 1 time (KQs)
I saw the flop from the SB 37.5% of the time

Position stats:

I've lost money from B0, B3, B6, B7, and the blinds. I have won the most money from the big blind ($63 ignoring the blinds) , then B2 ($36.50)
For those not familiar with the terminology, B0 is the button, B1 is the CO, B7 is UTG.

B3 is my nemesis. It's the seat that my big hands get cracked in. I look forward to changing that stat. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Overall, I'm fairly happy with how I'm playing. I am making good pre-flop decisions, and I'm not making the big folds on the river unless it's obvious that I'm beaten. I'm quite happy with my BB play, as I've had to pay $72.50 in big blinds, and I'm only down a net of $9.25 over 1000 hands. Contrast that to my SB, which is down $34.25. Again, this will rectify itself over time, but it tells me that I'm making good decisions with my BB trash hands as well as getting a bit lucky. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than myself can give the numbers a once over and let me know if there's anything that looks odd. Cheers!

ElSapo
08-26-2003, 01:52 PM
That you're winning in the BB and losing on the button should indicate a very small sample you're looking at. Keep putting hands into PT and those numbers should flip. Sadly, yes, even the BB win stat.

Congrats on your wins, and keep posting. I agree with you on the difference between .5/1 and 1/2 -- tighter, but not significantly different post-flop.

DesertEagle
08-27-2003, 11:45 AM
Hey Buddah,

I've been following your posts, and now I finally have a question...

Where are you getting these stats from?? I assume they're from PokerTracker, but I don't know anything about this software...

Where can I get it?
How much does it cost?
How easy is it to use?
and does it work with Multiple On-Line sites?

I play at several different sites, and would like to keep seperate stats for all of them, as well as keep cumulative stats... is that possible?

Thanks in advance for the help /images/graemlins/smile.gif

GrinningBuddha
08-27-2003, 01:25 PM
Yep, all of the stats I gave above are from Poker Tracker. It tracks hands from Paradise, Pokerstars, and Party (and affiliates). You can try the demo version at www.pokertracker.com (http://www.pokertracker.com), and the full version (which I'll be buying shortly) is $40, I believe.

Basically, you can set it up to auto-request your hand histories, and then at the end of the session you import them into the database. It tracks both ring gaems and tournaments, and shows you pretty much any stat you care to examine, both for you and your opponents. It can be used both as a reference on frequent opponents, as well as a self-check system. Now you'll finally know exactly how much money you lose by playing that QTo. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lost Wages
08-27-2003, 01:39 PM
GrinningBuddha,

I suggest that you avoid the $5 sit-n-go's since for the same $1 vig you can play in the $10.

Lost Wages

DrSavage
08-27-2003, 01:45 PM
His BB stats seem about right, because he is talking about amount of money won AFTER deducting the blind cost. You can't possibly win in BB in the long run if you count the blind cost and you also should be winning a lot if you don't(because you get to play quite a bit of hands for free or for fraction of the cost and you will be flopping something eventually).
All non-blind positions should be positive though, if you are still losing in them as your hand sample becomes larger you are playing from this position wrong.
Another thing to watch for is individual hands, with a large hand sample all hands in groups 1-7 and some in group 8 should be positive.

GrinningBuddha
08-27-2003, 02:54 PM
When I get the full version of Pokertracker, I look forward to adding the hand histories I've been piling up here for a few days. Once I get over 10,000 hands, I'll have a bit more of a solid basis to re-examine things.

The B3 anomaly can be attributed to 3 hands, 2 of which were at the $1/$2 table against a maniac. I'm sure it'll work itself out over time. I'm a little concerned about my lack of success from the button, but again, I'm sure it's just a short-term glitch. Kinda like my AQo hands being my biggest money-winner. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

DesertEagle
08-27-2003, 02:58 PM
thanks for the tip!

do they have any kind of referral link you want me to use so you can get credit for the sale??

If so, just PM me and let me know /images/graemlins/smile.gif

GrinningBuddha
08-27-2003, 05:22 PM
I don't know of a referral program, but I appreciate the thought. When you order, feel free to let him know GrinningBuddha sent you though. /images/graemlins/smile.gif