PDA

View Full Version : A few more sample hands - did I do better with these ?

Tosh
08-25-2003, 07:54 PM
From $2/$4 online table.

Hand 1: Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif in MP. Fold.

Hand 2: 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gifA /images/graemlins/club.gif in MP. Fold.

Hand 3: K /images/graemlins/diamond.gifA /images/graemlins/club.gif in EP. 1 fold and 1 limp. I raise. Folded round and only the the blinds and limper call. Flop is 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Check check check and I bet. 2 call. Turn is T /images/graemlins/heart.gif. Check check I bet, fold fold.

Hand 4: A /images/graemlins/spade.gif6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif UTG+1. Fold.

Hand 5: K /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/spade.gif UTG. Hmmmmmmm Fold.

Hand 6: 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif in BB. UTG raises a couple call and I fold.

Hand 7: 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif in SB. 2 limpers, I fold.

Hand 8: 3 /images/graemlins/club.gifQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif on the button. I fold.

Hand 9: 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif in CO. I fold.

Hand 10: 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif in LP. 3 limpers to me, I fold.

Hand 11: J /images/graemlins/club.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif in MP. 1 limps to me and I fold (???).

Hand 12: 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gifT /images/graemlins/spade.gif in EP. I fold.

Hand 13: 2 /images/graemlins/club.gifJ /images/graemlins/club.gif UTG+1. I fold.

Hand 14: 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif4 /images/graemlins/club.gif UTG. I fold.

Hand 15: 3 /images/graemlins/club.gifK /images/graemlins/spade.gif in BB. 3 limpers, I check. Flop is 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gifJ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif2 /images/graemlins/club.gif. Checked to MP who bets and I fold.

Hand 16: 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif in SB. Fold.

Hand 17: A /images/graemlins/heart.gif2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif on button. Fold.

Hand 18: 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif in CO. Fold.

Hand 19: 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif in MP. Fold.

Hand 20: 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gifK /images/graemlins/heart.gif UTG+1. Fold.

Hand 21: 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif UTG. Fold.

Hand 22: T /images/graemlins/heart.gif5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif in BB. 2 limps and SB Folds. Flop is 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Checked around. Turn is 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif Checked around (bet here?) River is 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif. Checked around (bet here?). Winner has an ace.

Hand 23: Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif in SB. With only 2 limpers I decide to fold.

Hand 24: 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif5 /images/graemlins/club.gif on button. Fold.

Hand 25: 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif in MP. Fold.

Hand 26: 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif in EP. Fold.

Hand 27: A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifA /images/graemlins/club.gif UTG+1. I open raise. 4 callers. Flop is 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif2 /images/graemlins/club.gifK /images/graemlins/club.gif. Checked to me and I bet. 2 callers. Turn is 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. Checked to me and I bet. River is J /images/graemlins/heart.gif. Checked to me and I bet. SB calls and takes it with T /images/graemlins/club.gif3 /images/graemlins/club.gif.

Bit annoyed and I leave to save tilting for a few minutes.

Overall how did I do, I can see some decisions that are questionable, where do I need to improve?

Joe Tall
08-25-2003, 08:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hand 11: J 9 in MP. 1 limps to me and I fold (???).

[/ QUOTE ]

If the game is passive enough you can play this here.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 23: Q 5 in SB. With only 2 limpers I decide to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd complete this for for 1/2 bet no matter how many limpers as long as you think the BB won't raise.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 16: 6 5 in SB. Fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could probably complete this one too if you have a number of limpers, however, it is my bare minimum.

Ohter than that I think you are fine.

[ QUOTE ]
Overall how did I do, I can see some decisions that are questionable, where do I need to improve?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you played fine. But I'll be honest, you should know by now what hands are no question at all and I think that includes most of them here, so I'm wondering what you think when you post a hand like:

Hand 14: 6 4 UTG. I fold.

Because if you don't know for sure, you're missing something.

Take care,
Larry Joe

Tosh
08-25-2003, 08:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Well, you played fine. But I'll be honest, you should know by now what hands are no question at all and I think that includes most of them here, so I'm wondering what you think when you post a hand like:

Hand 14: 6 4 UTG. I fold.

Because if you don't know for sure, you're missing something.

Take care,
Larry Joe

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously I know many of these are no brainers. What I did was play the hands and type it out while I played.

Joe Tall
08-25-2003, 08:43 PM
Hmmmm, interesting method. But that is Great. You were scarying me there.

Tosh
08-25-2003, 09:29 PM
You're right though. Half of the hands are pointless, I'll thin them out in future. The idea of posting all was to give an overall idea of how I play.

Joe Tall
08-25-2003, 09:50 PM
The idea of posting all was to give an overall idea of how I play.

The first few times were ok, but I was beginning to worry a bit. I'm just lookin' out, bro.

Bob T.
08-25-2003, 10:02 PM
You did ok, I thought that with that action, you would have won the AA hand.

11) J /images/graemlins/club.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif. I definately limp behind one limper with this.

23) Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. I complete in the small blind with any two suited.

Ed Miller
08-26-2003, 01:41 AM
Hand 11: J 9 in MP. 1 limps to me and I fold (???).

You limp in with JTo, but fold J9s?! This is a clear call in most games.

Hand 22: T 5 in BB. 2 limps and SB Folds. Flop is 2 7 9 . Checked around. Turn is 9 Checked around (bet here?) River is 2 . Checked around (bet here?). Winner has an ace.

This is a decent spot to take a shot on the turn. When the top card pairs on the turn, it is often a prime bluffing opportunity.

Hand 23: Q 5 in SB. With only 2 limpers I decide to fold.

Bad fold. You can play any two suited in this spot... Q5s is better than any two suited.

Tosh
08-26-2003, 04:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You limp in with JTo, but fold J9s?! This is a clear call in most games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not normally but if JTo is a fold in seat 6 then J9s must be in seat 4. Personally I think both are playable but maybe some don't agree !

Ed Miller
08-26-2003, 04:35 AM
I think you are strongly underestimating the value that being suited adds to a hand.

Tosh
08-26-2003, 04:41 AM
Not really. J9s is only a little bit stronger than JTo and with worse position its a fairly even decision. Play none or both.

Mangatang
08-26-2003, 10:01 AM
Hey Tosh,

I like the format of your posts. I posted one in the same format after seeing yours. I like seeing an entire series of plays instead of just one particular play. Choosing certain plays for posting is fine, but you may be missing out on a leak in your game that you didn't know was a leak.

Hand 10 - If you consider this a loose/passive table, HPFAP says you can call from late position with this Group-7 hand.

Hand 11 - Call.

Hand 23 - In the SB, I think you can make a call here. I remember HPFAP saying that any two suited cards is worth a half bet in a loose/passive game. I maybe wrong about that recollection though.

Hand 27, tough break.

PreyOnU
08-26-2003, 10:29 AM
I call hand #11 in MP for 1 bet.

Hand #22, I find its good to bet a checked around board when it pairs, EXCEPT when top-pair pairs. Yeah, you know someone would've probably bet their 9 on the flop, but they know that too. If you bet the turn, everyone would have to assume you had 2 spades, and when the river came spadeless, someone's gonna raise your buy-attempt and make you lay it down.

Now that I got that off of my chest, I'm going to go read the sound advice you received from the people who know what they're talking about... I just lost $200 at a table overflowing with complete morons...

PreyOnU
08-26-2003, 10:34 AM
I like seeing the junk-hands posted, it makes me feel better about my 5 hour garage-sale runs at the poker room.

Tosh
08-26-2003, 11:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You limp in with JTo,

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a little quote to back up me playing JT in seat 6. From HEFAP in the first 2 cards from middle position section.

"This means that in an unraised pot, you can play all hands in Groups 1-5 when the game is typical or tough. In a loose, passive game it is all right to play the group 6 hands as well."

DarkKnight
08-26-2003, 03:10 PM
Not much to argue with here

Hand 3: i usually check the turn here - what do you do if raised ?

Hand 23: Call

Hand 27: Did you thank the SB for not costing you more?

Ed Miller
08-26-2003, 09:28 PM
*Shrug* I don't think the hand groups are particularly useful or accurate, so quoting group-based advice doesn't mean much. In fact, they say that groups are for beginning players, not experts. Obviously I can't convince you. Several of the other strong posters here (Dynasty for sure) agree with me about this hand. All I can say is that you should track your results with the hand, and if it is profitable for you, keep playing it. I still recommend against playing that hand, though.

Tosh
08-27-2003, 05:41 AM
Thanks for the reply. The only reason I quoted from HEFAP is because I just wanted to back what I was saying up. I don't use the groups anymore although I think its such a good book I will often look back on bits every so often.

I do respect your opinions and advice though and will certainly stop playing this hand in this position for the time being and just sit back and take notes on it.

Cheers