PDA

View Full Version : Good Play / Bad Play?

ratbastard
08-25-2003, 04:58 PM
I was recently in a 1/2 game online and a hand came up that was either really stupid or really brilliant. There is a mainac in the SB who will play anything and raise anything, even 72. It has gotton to the point that several of the players are raising and re-raising him pre-flop when they do enter with marginal hands. I decide that it would be profitable to play J9s from the MP with an EP raiser (who I believe is raising only because of the mainiac in the SB. 2 more players call behind me as I guessed they would, and the SB re-raises, the EP caps, everyone calls. The flop comes KxK rainbow with one of my suit. EP checks. Now I bet. I figure with $20 in the pot it warrents one bet representing 3Ks. Everyone calls. The turn comes and its a blank, EP checks I bet again, everyone calls except the button. The river comes, its a J. I bet again, the player behind me calls, the maniac raises (typical move for him on the river, he will cap it with nothing.), EP calls, and I call. I WIN!! 25BBs.

I believe that I had a good read that this maniac had thrown these other players on tilt and if I hit anything I would get paid off. Although the flop did not help me in anyway it did bring a good bluff opportunity. I would have folded to a raise on the flop or the turn. The fact that no one raised said they had no K or pocket pair. If no one had a K or pair I figured I had an equal chance of hitting one of my cards or the backdoor flush as anyone else.

Please let me know if you feel this is a complete idiot play or if you think that I did well?

RB

Dynasty
08-25-2003, 05:48 PM
You chose the wrong hand to get involved with. Wait for a pocket pair or Ace-high.

rigoletto
08-25-2003, 06:05 PM
Although the flop did not help me in anyway it did bring a good bluff opportunity.

How is it a good bluff opportunity when you know you'll get called to the river???

It has gotton to the point that several of the players are raising and re-raising him pre-flop when they do enter with marginal hands.

So you decide to make the same mistake and call 2 cold with a marginal hand, and you even expect it to get capped behind you???

gonores
08-25-2003, 06:53 PM
J9s is a hand that depends on implied odds and cheap flops. There will be better opportunities.

ratbastard
08-25-2003, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the replies. I really enjoy and respect all of your posts.

This is what I suspected and why I posted the hand here. I went on tilt just like everyone else at the table. I just needed to hear it from some 2+2ers. I got lucky on a marginal hand.

Actually this hand flies in the face of my typical play but shows a weakness in my game that I need to eliminate. I only saw 16% of the flops during this session. I was paitent after this hand and I finally caught AA. The flop was A44. I slow-played the flop and the maniac and I capped the turn and river. He left a couple of hands later with about $100 less.

Thanks,
RB

OffTilt
08-26-2003, 09:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The flop comes KxK rainbow with one of my suit. EP checks. Now I bet. I figure with $20 in the pot it warrents one bet representing 3Ks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't agree with you here. There's a good chance someone has it, and even if they don't, they won't believe you do.

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone calls. The turn comes and its a blank, EP checks I bet again

[/ QUOTE ]

Still trying represent the K's? I thought the bluff only warranted one bet? : )

[ QUOTE ]

Although the flop did not help me in anyway it did bring a good bluff opportunity. I would have folded to a raise on the flop or the turn. The fact that no one raised said they had no K or pocket pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have no chance to bluff, in a game like that a preflop capped pot becomes protected and will almost always go down to the river.

[ QUOTE ]
If no one had a K or pair I figured I had an equal chance of hitting one of my cards or the backdoor flush as anyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but Ace or Queen high is a strong favorite over you. Also, there's a chance someone paired up one of the blanks. You can't assume anything is a true blank in a wild low limit game like that, I've seen guys cap pots with 8 3 suited more times than I can count.

So on the whole I'd say you didn't play this hand well, but your opponents certainly didn't either. Best of luck.

O-PG

------------------------------------------
Start winning hundreds at Texas Holdem with Power Holdem+
http://www.online-pokerguide.com