PDA

View Full Version : Taking Lessons from Clarkmeister

Barry
08-25-2003, 10:08 AM
Here are a couple of hands that I played last might illustrate Clarkmeister’s points.

5/10 PP pretty loose and moderately aggressive table, currently 9 handed I’m in the BB and pick up A /images/graemlins/heart.gif A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

6 callers to me (all but an EP and the SB), I raise, everybody calls.

Flop is 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet, UTG raises, LP 3-bets, I call as does UTG.

Turn is J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I check, LP bets, I call.

River is T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I bet, LP calls.

LP shows 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif for a flopped draws to a flush and straight and turned small flush.

My A’s hold up in a 11 BB multiway pot and LP 3-bets the flop to get his “free card”. I have seen many posters advocate only calling with A’s in the SB or BB if there are many callers.

3/6 Party very loose, with a bit of aggressiveness

I’m in EP with Q /images/graemlins/club.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif

I limp, 5 more limpers including the SB and the BB raises; everybody calls.

Flop is Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Checked to me, I bet, get 5 callers, and the BB checkraises. 2 fold(?) and 3 call.

Turn is 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Checked around

River is 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

BB bets, I call.

BB shows A/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif and my TP mediocre kicker is good.

I wonder if I even played these too wimpy.

BTW – I’ll be back in Vegas from Sep 26 though Oct 1. Maybe the 3rd times the charm and I can meet up with Clarkmeister and Dynasty on this trip.

Joe Tall
08-25-2003, 10:30 AM
Hand #1

Nice hand.

Hand #2.

Once the flush didn't hit and the BB checked, I'd bet thinking he was trying to buy a free card. Other than that I think you played it well.

Homer
08-25-2003, 10:37 AM
While it's possible that LP may have thought he was three-betting for a free card, he was actually doing so for value (primary reason, imo), to knock out a better hand, and to possibly earn a free card.

-- Homer

Ed Miller
08-25-2003, 04:16 PM
In hand 1, your opponent has a very strong hand... his raise is not for a free card.

In hand 2, you need to be more agressive with your weak top pair. Checking the turn was a big error.

Ian M.
08-25-2003, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
6 callers to me (all but an EP and the SB), I raise, everybody calls.

Flop is 3 8 5

I bet, UTG raises, LP 3-bets, I call as does UTG.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm kind of surprised that noone has advocated capping the flop here with Aces and backdoor nut flush outs on this raggety looking board.

Ed Miller
08-25-2003, 05:24 PM
Of course you are correct, he should have capped the flop.

GuyOnTilt
08-25-2003, 07:09 PM
Hand 1: You should've capped the flop. Also, your opponent's 3-bet on the flop was not for a "free card," as you put it; it's for value.

Hand 2: I would bet the turn and check through on the river. You played this very weakly. If you're going to call the BB down unimproved if no obvious scare cards hit, then I'd 3-bet the flop and bet the turn when checked to. This way you charge draws the max to see the river. And obviously you'd check it through on the river.